LL AA-220 Relocation

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: RICE,PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE and EGG / BIT
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post By: McGiever » Wed. Mar. 13, 2019 11:47 am

May be a good place and time to bring up that one can install either/both a CO and/or smoke alarm that can trigger a relay to any remote location.
Relay, in turn, can then initiate any number of devices...be it flashing lights for hearing impaired or a distant siren alarm in adjacent building or upper levels still yet unaffected by distant peril locations for early warning.

As well, a relay could switch off a burner and/or start a fan/blower motor for
some form of ventilation.
Don't forget the disabled and those pets whom are counting on you.

Food for thought....

swyman
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line AA-220
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Rice/Buck

Post By: swyman » Thu. Mar. 14, 2019 9:56 am

McGiever wrote:
Wed. Mar. 13, 2019 11:47 am
May be a good place and time to bring up that one can install either/both a CO and/or smoke alarm that can trigger a relay to any remote location.
Relay, in turn, can then initiate any number of devices...be it flashing lights for hearing impaired or a distant siren alarm in adjacent building or upper levels still yet unaffected by distant peril locations for early warning.

As well, a relay could switch off a burner and/or start a fan/blower motor for
some form of ventilation.
Don't forget the disabled and those pets whom are counting on you.

Food for thought....
How alarmed should I have been? Honestly I was not very alarmed because my CO detectors were not going off upstairs where we live, just the basement. But am I wrong, not saying it wasn't a serious event but the saturation was just in the basement, but then again I have dummy CO detectors upstairs that do not show a digital PPM......should I change these, I could have possibly had some saturation just not enough to set off the alarm?

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post By: CapeCoaler » Thu. Mar. 14, 2019 1:00 pm

I would go with display models...
The dummies don't alarm until a significant number is reached...
40-70 for x minutes before alarm...
Alarm instant at 110 I think...

swyman

Post By: swyman » Mon. Mar. 18, 2019 9:20 am

Running rice and I have to say I like it. It is much easier to move by vacuum and it does not have near the dust of fines as the buck I had from this year. The rice I am burning is left over from a year ago. I did have to adjust the feed and air to get it right but seems to produce a much bluer flame than the buck did. I am still able to get a nice sized flame however. Season end is insight, but I think I will still burn everything that is in the storage bin as I am heating hot water also.

Visit Alternate Heating Sytems

swyman

Post By: swyman » Sun. Apr. 07, 2019 9:41 am

As the season winds down, I now get to see just how much that heat from the basement is coming into play. Last Tuesday we went to a baseball tournament in Cincinnati for 3 days. I turned the barn and garage heat off and filled the hopper, vac barrel, and turned the house down to 62 degrees hoping that the fire would still be burning when I got home. Was pleased to find the thermostat at 66 degrees and the 30 gallon barrel was just about empty so I still had 320lbs of coal in the hopper! Yesterday the house was at 76 degrees so I am getting a lot of heat in the house through that floor! Another update, my builder that did the addition said he could do the chimney! Haven't talked start date but looks like it will happen. Not sure I will be able to purchase another boiler before next heating season but if I can get that chimney done, it will give me the option to do it and might be fun to see how my Leisure Line works with a chimney? I am almost out of coal in the bin so really only heating DHW so will burn up what I have....

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post By: lsayre » Sun. Apr. 07, 2019 10:41 am

No guarantees, but you might find that after you switch to a chimney you will begin to like the LL AA-220.

swyman

Post By: swyman » Sun. Apr. 07, 2019 11:36 am

lsayre wrote:
Sun. Apr. 07, 2019 10:41 am
No guarantees, but you might find that after you switch to a chimney you will begin to like the LL AA-220.
I like it now, just runs out of power when I need it most. Not the boilers fault, just to big of load.....that's on me

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”