- Posts: 307
- Joined: Sat. Nov. 08, 2014 11:47 am
- Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker '81 KA4 (online 1/16/17)
- Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Rice
- Other Heating: EFM SPK600
- Location: Quakertown, PA
Interesting read. The example he used was a 1400sf drive using a 250k condensing boiler. That works out to 178btu/SF. Makes sense that he recommends using condensing boiler over conventional since the return temps are so drastically different and it does not require tempering of the supply or return water.
Seems like a 'uge investment as well to excavate, reinforce, insulate and pour the drive. 1400sf driveway could easily run 30k for install.
- Posts: 5629
- Joined: Fri. Nov. 22, 2013 2:17 pm
- Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
- Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
- Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both
- Location: Jonestown,Pa.17038
After reading that article, i have decided that even tho i had no plans to install a melting driveway system... i am not going to plan for installing one.
A snowblower or snowplow or loader to remove the snow & coal cinders for anti-skid seem like the best plan.
- Posts: 3488
- Joined: Mon. Mar. 10, 2014 10:06 pm
- Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
- Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
- Other Heating: oil furnace
- Location: Peasleeville NY
I am still racking in my brain, the thought of a snow melt for my deck, I am putting it on this summer, 10’x92’.
But that would include a water to water exchanger, glycol for the deck side, pump, expansion tank, controls, the aluminum transfer plates.. and then being exposed to the atmosphere idk how well it would work anyways, I am doing 2”x6” deck boards.
- Posts: 227
- Joined: Fri. Jan. 11, 2008 4:27 pm
- Stoker Coal Boiler: efm 520 stoker fitzgibbons pressure vessel
- Hand Fed Coal Stove: harman, russo
- Coal Size/Type: rice
- Other Heating: alpine propane condensing boiler radiant floor
- Location: Wernersville pa
I think we should brainstorm on a steam powered airplane too.
- Posts: 1136
- Joined: Sun. Mar. 25, 2007 8:41 pm
- Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
- Coal Size/Type: rice
- Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker
- Location: Ithaca, New York
They have already put a nuclear powered bomber years ago in the air so..................................