Gasification Wood Boiler Dump Zone

Hammerhead

Post by Hammerhead » Sat. Jan. 10, 2009 2:10 pm

The schematic I downloaded for hooking up my gasification boiler, shows a dump zone. (or what I am interpreting as a dump Zone) There is nothing available from the manufacturer and I am assuming this is just an extra heat loop. My intention was to run a heat loop in my workshop. Am I on the right track or is there more to this?

Robby

Post by Robby » Sat. Jan. 10, 2009 6:31 pm

I don't know your stove. A dump zone is just that. Any place that will absorb about a 1/4 or more of available BTU's.
Mine is just the fan coil units (2) for the upper story. I don't know if gasification units over-run much, but my boiler on either wood or coal if there has been a sustained high heat load will over heat some when draft is initialy closed. 90% of the time it just has the water in the boiler hotter than aquastat called for, but at 200F the fan coil units are energized, circulation pumps, etc. run and continue to until temp drops to 185F.

Your system may not have the same temp settings. I have 150 gallon water storage which has almost completly stopped over-runs. This spring I intend to add 1100 gal storage. While you are installing take a look around this and other sites for information on large storage. I am convinced that it is needed for wood burning, sort of needed for burning bituminous, and I have no idea on anthracite.

Robby

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sat. Jan. 10, 2009 9:22 pm

Hammerhead wrote:The schematic I downloaded for hooking up my gasification boiler, shows a dump zone. (or what I am interpreting as a dump Zone) There is nothing available from the manufacturer and I am assuming this is just an extra heat loop. My intention was to run a heat loop in my workshop. Am I on the right track or is there more to this?
You can add something if you want, a heat storage system or a radiation loop in the basement. That stuff costs money and time. The easiest thing to do is use your largest existing zone for the dump. It is already there and it will let you know when its time to make an adjustment to your draft. :wacko: (I thought a sweating bullets smiley would be nice here, sorry we don't have one yet :) )

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”