JOTUL DV 600 PROPANE sooting up my siding

Chiefcamper
Other Heating: Mitsubishi Split System Hyper Heat Pump, Jotul GF600DV FreeStanding Propane Fireplace

Post by Chiefcamper » Thu. Nov. 30, 2023 7:04 pm

When I bought this stove used the seller said he was getting rid of it for the same reason. I cleaned it out and got it set up/ installed, the same is happening to me. Direct vent coaxial piping 3 ft up, 1 ft out to the termination cap on the side of an exterior masonry wall... it's a direct vent stove...

Anyone know if adjusting the shutter might help ? I'm thinking there has to be an air/ fuel mixture adjustment and it needs tweaking. Been burning the stove about a month or more and starting to notice that yeah, the exhaust is rich enough to leave deposits on the siding over time, just watching it burn there's nothing to see, it's happening over time....

Thanks,

Joe

nepacoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4 / "Kelly" and an EFM 520 at my in-laws
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-260 - retired
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by nepacoal » Thu. Nov. 30, 2023 7:40 pm

Was the gas to propane conversion done before using propane. Their literature states they ship with natural gas parts and must be converted before burning propane.

mozz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 1982 AA-130 Steam

Post by mozz » Thu. Nov. 30, 2023 8:03 pm

From Google

"This sounds very likely a "gas" stove which has not had a propane conversion. Propane is run at a higher pressure than natural gas so all burner orifices must be down sized. Often stoves will come with a propane conversion kit included but sometimes you need to order one separately. Symptoms of a non-converted stove are large yellow flames. Correct flames should be blue with the tiniest tips yellow."

"If the wrong gas is supplied to a stove, the air/fuel ratio at the burners will be incorrect, the gas flame may be difficult to light and keep lit, flames may ‘unstable,’ orange colored and leave soot deposits on cookware. (In this case, carbon monoxide is being produced, a DANGEROUS situation)."

Chiefcamper
Other Heating: Mitsubishi Split System Hyper Heat Pump, Jotul GF600DV FreeStanding Propane Fireplace

Post by Chiefcamper » Fri. Dec. 01, 2023 10:26 pm

Looked the stove over more closely, turns out the propane conversion was already done. Flames look prefect.

The stove is piped 3 ft up 1 ft out to a termination cap on the side of the house. This is an optimal ratio and std on many installations.

During high wind gust periods the pilot has blown out on several occasions. After burning the stove a month or two I'm noticing a wide spread out area of light soot on the side of the house above the termination. Thinking there has to be an air/ fuel adjustment. I know there is a shutter somewhere, maybe that needs tweaking.... otherwise the stove is working great and basement is comfortable. I have a CO and LP detector close by and both read zero...

nepacoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4 / "Kelly" and an EFM 520 at my in-laws
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-260 - retired
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by nepacoal » Sat. Dec. 02, 2023 5:16 am

Page 19 has the info on adjusting the shutter. It comes from the factory set at 1/2" for gas and needs to be opened to 7/8" for propane. You would think that it would have been adjusted when they did the conversion, but maybe they missed it.

Attachments

doc03056920210830074300.pdf
.PDF | 2MB | doc03056920210830074300.pdf

BigBarney

Post by BigBarney » Sat. Dec. 02, 2023 11:48 am

Try some TSP to clean off the siding...

BigBarney

Chiefcamper

Post by Chiefcamper » Sat. Dec. 23, 2023 6:31 pm

nepacoal wrote:
Sat. Dec. 02, 2023 5:16 am
Page 19 has the info on adjusting the shutter. It comes from the factory set at 1/2" for gas and needs to be opened to 7/8" for propane. You would think that it would have been adjusted when they did the conversion, but maybe they missed it.
Thanks, it was set it for 7/8 appx... that's when I purchased the stove....if that's still the issue it might not be a bad idea to open it fully....

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”