My latest addition

Chiefcamper
Other Heating: Mitsubishi Split System Hyper Heat Pump, Jotul GF600DV FreeStanding Propane Fireplace

Post by Chiefcamper » Sat. Oct. 14, 2023 11:05 am

Moved into a new place that's 100% electric, has a heat pump/mini split system that works well. House is very well insulated. It's a ranch but the basement never had heat and this area loses power frequently. Last winter was a little stressful at times, went away for a few days over Christmas, left Christmas Eve (it was 2° fht with calls for wide spread power outages) . Not this year.

Picked up this Jotul GF600DV used for $700. Direct vent freestanding propane stove. 30-40,000 BTU. It came with a blower, remote control thermostat, and all the piping I needed for my install. The only thing I'm going to replace is the remote control with a wall mounted manual thermostat since both the remote and receiver rely on batteries that can and will die. It sure feels good knowing my basement won't be 38° this winter, and I can rely on it to kick on when I'm not around and the power goes out.

Next project I'm looking for a hand fired coal stove to pipe into the chimney which is currently unoccupied.

Attachments

20231014_095353.jpg
.JPG | 350.4KB | 20231014_095353.jpg

nut
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glacier Bay
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: electric

Post by nut » Sat. Oct. 14, 2023 1:32 pm

One is none and 2 is one. I'm interested in the minisplit. How late into the season is it efficient and what is the comfort level.

Hootyburra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaskan Stoker II
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Oil

Post by Hootyburra » Sun. Oct. 15, 2023 8:27 am

nut wrote:
Sat. Oct. 14, 2023 1:32 pm
One is none and 2 is one. I'm interested in the minisplit. How late into the season is it efficient and what is the comfort level.
I installed a Pioneer Inverter ++ series in the spring... It's in the high 30s out side and the mini split has no issues blowing heat hot enough you'd get uncomfortable standing right in front of it for awhile. It claims to heat down to -13f, it'll get tested in a few months.
It gets hot way faster than the coal stove.
Coal stove is just ideling along to keep the basement warm and the minisplit is handling pretty much the entire upstairs.
I've been beyond impressed. If it works great this winter I'll be installing another one in the basement and back bedrooms.
Best part is it uses less electricity throughout the day than the coal stove and runs great of my solar / battery setup. Haven't used a watt from the power company in months...

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Oct. 15, 2023 9:23 am

Chiefcamper wrote:
Sat. Oct. 14, 2023 11:05 am
It sure feels good knowing my basement won't be 38° this winter, and I can rely on it to kick on when I'm not around and the power goes out.

Next project I'm looking for a hand fired coal stove to pipe into the chimney which is currently unoccupied.
That is a huge benefit. Hand-fed stoves come up for sale all the time, good luck with your search.

nut

Post by nut » Sun. Oct. 15, 2023 9:52 am

Hootyburra wrote:
Sun. Oct. 15, 2023 8:27 am
I installed a Pioneer Inverter ++ series in the spring... It's in the high 30s out side and the mini split has no issues blowing heat hot enough you'd get uncomfortable standing right in front of it for awhile. It claims to heat down to -13f, it'll get tested in a few months.
It gets hot way faster than the coal stove.
Coal stove is just ideling along to keep the basement warm and the minisplit is handling pretty much the entire upstairs.
I've been beyond impressed. If it works great this winter I'll be installing another one in the basement and back bedrooms.
Best part is it uses less electricity throughout the day than the coal stove and runs great of my solar / battery setup. Haven't used a watt from the power company in months...
Thanks, sounds like a good set up. I was looking at Pioneer. They are one of the few companies that work with DIYers. I did find more efficient brands but none of them will talk to DIYers unfortunately.

Hootyburra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaskan Stoker II
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Oil

Post by Hootyburra » Sun. Oct. 15, 2023 1:52 pm

It was very easy to diy. You can't rent a vacuum pump from autozone / etc if you don't have one or want to buy one.
The hardest part for me was figuring out where to drill through the wall.

You can find off brands on amazon for much cheaper, I might order one of them next. From the research I did they are all made by a few OEMs and rebranded.

Chiefcamper
Other Heating: Mitsubishi Split System Hyper Heat Pump, Jotul GF600DV FreeStanding Propane Fireplace

Post by Chiefcamper » Thu. Nov. 30, 2023 6:44 pm

nut wrote:
Sat. Oct. 14, 2023 1:32 pm
Pretty sure it's a mitsubishu hyper heat. 36,000 BTU, one 24,000 btu head in the living area, one 12,000 btu head in the bedroom that is only used for AC, never heat. I've read literature on my model saying it's 100% efficient down to around 5 degrees. Not sure about my wording but the claim is that efficiency doesn't suffer until it gets that cold.

I used it to heat my home all last winter and my all electric home bill averaged about $400/ month for 12 months. Somewhere around there, PPL didn't bill me auto pay for a few months then I got slammed so I did my best to average it out....

It keeps my home very comfortable. It's not even loud enough to bother me with the fan on high.....

nut

Post by nut » Fri. Dec. 01, 2023 2:29 pm

Chiefcamper wrote:
Thu. Nov. 30, 2023 6:44 pm
Pretty sure it's a mitsubishu hyper heat. 36,000 BTU, one 24,000 btu head in the living area, one 12,000 btu head in the bedroom that is only used for AC, never heat. I've read literature on my model saying it's 100% efficient down to around 5 degrees. Not sure about my wording but the claim is that efficiency doesn't suffer until it gets that cold.

I used it to heat my home all last winter and my all electric home bill averaged about $400/ month for 12 months. Somewhere around there, PPL didn't bill me auto pay for a few months then I got slammed so I did my best to average it out....

It keeps my home very comfortable. It's not even loud enough to bother me with the fan on high.....
Thanks for the report. Sounds like a winner.

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”