Running LP lines

Chiefcamper
Other Heating: Mitsubishi Split System Hyper Heat Pump, Jotul GF600DV FreeStanding Propane Fireplace

Post by Chiefcamper » Sat. May. 06, 2023 3:19 am

Just vented my Jotul 600 through my basement foundation. Currently have no propane on site. Hoping to soon be able to run that stove, a generator, a cooking stove on propane.

Seriously considering running black pipe the length of my basement with Ts every ten ft or so. What the companies want per every foot run is pretty high.

I'm also considering buying my own tank. I've noticed the short fat 100 gallon tanks have less restriction on where they can be placed, and some people have a few piggy backed that way.

Anyone been down this road already ? I'm trying to do as much as I can myself. Back in 96 they put a 320 gallon about 20 ft from my home and left the line above ground, telling me to bury it if/ when I could. Now I need a 12" trench dug before they install. I understand it's for safety, I'm just looking for the most economical way to get it done.

Thanks.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sat. May. 06, 2023 8:11 am

100 gallon tanks wont last long using a heater. I know nothing about piggybacking as Ive never seen it done here. Sounds like 2 or 3 more chances to leak to me. 250 gallon is the lowest I'd want, but Im in a colder climate. 500 is nicer so you can get a decent amount cheaper in the summer.

Mine, which was installed in the early 60's i think, just has a buried copper line thats maybe 80 feet to the house. How deep I dont know. Code? I have no idea what you'll run into with that.

The tanks sell high used or new. Dealers sell refurbed ones too, which may just mean repainted. Ive seen prices paid in the NE and they are a lot more than here. You just have to shop around I guess.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sat. May. 06, 2023 1:02 pm

Check with your local building code / inspector. You may need a permit anyways.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. May. 06, 2023 5:14 pm

Hooking multiple 100 gallon tanks together is very common. As you noted, they can be tight against the building (up to 4 I believe), but a 250 would need to be 10’ away.

I had 1” black iron run through my garage and basement with tees for the appliances. I hired it out and it was about $1000 for labor and materials.

anthony7812
Stoker Coal Boiler: VanWert VA 400
Coal Size/Type: Buck/Anthracite

Post by anthony7812 » Tue. May. 09, 2023 1:47 pm

I recently had black pipe run through half my basement for cook stove and the anticipation of on demand water and furnace. The install of the pipe, materials and tank setup was about 1000 as rob mentioned. It wasn’t the entire run I need but as I mentioned it was installed as the future plan. It’s easy to do black pipe yourself, but peace of mind for my wife was well worth it vs. me listening to her haha. I only have a 100 gallon now but with an on demand water heater I’ll probably need to have 2 piped together. We burned 100gallon tank in 2 weeks pool heating. I doubt I’ll use that much but these girls know how to surprise me.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Tue. May. 09, 2023 5:01 pm

anthony7812 wrote:
Tue. May. 09, 2023 1:47 pm
I recently had black pipe run through half my basement for cook stove and the anticipation of on demand water and furnace. The install of the pipe, materials and tank setup was about 1000 as rob mentioned. It wasn’t the entire run I need but as I mentioned it was installed as the future plan. It’s easy to do black pipe yourself, but peace of mind for my wife was well worth it vs. me listening to her haha. I only have a 100 gallon now but with an on demand water heater I’ll probably need to have 2 piped together. We burned 100gallon tank in 2 weeks pool heating. I doubt I’ll use that much but these girls know how to surprise me.
That's why I have my wifey do the work. No complaints about work quality.

anthony7812
Stoker Coal Boiler: VanWert VA 400
Coal Size/Type: Buck/Anthracite

Post by anthony7812 » Tue. May. 09, 2023 5:42 pm

Hahaha yup. I’m learning after 15 years of marriage that’s exactly correct!

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”