Smart meter

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Oct. 06, 2022 9:37 am

hotblast1357 wrote:
Thu. Oct. 06, 2022 6:40 am
It seems like the night day rate is a wash around here, the night rate is cheaper but the day right is more,
If they are going to be offering two rates it actually makes sense, there is an extraordinary difference in the wholesale cost of the power over 24 hours especially during high demand events. In other words if you are paying a flat rate the wholesale cost of the power at 6AM during cold weather or 6PM during hot weather is probably more than what you are paying for it.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Thu. Oct. 06, 2022 6:36 pm

Once again come to the coal board for advice. So an offer of TOU will be ignored

tsb
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II
Baseburners & Antiques: Grander Golden Oak , Glenwood # 6
Coal Size/Type: All of them

Post by tsb » Thu. Oct. 06, 2022 10:49 pm

CN
You shouldn't even be buying green bananas.

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: small New Yorker oil fired boiler; mostly used for domestic HW

Post by hank2 » Fri. Oct. 07, 2022 12:32 am

I'm amazed at how many of you have time of day discount on power. I've never had it and have never seen it offered around here by either area power supplier. I got a smart meter forced on me about 5 years ago. Thankfully it's outside of an unused bedroom.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Oct. 07, 2022 6:13 am

hank2 wrote:
Fri. Oct. 07, 2022 12:32 am
I'm amazed at how many of you have time of day discount on power. I've never had it and have never seen it offered around here by either area power supplier. I got a smart meter forced on me about 5 years ago. Thankfully it's outside of an unused bedroom.
I wonder if it depends on how most of your power is generated. e.g. I would expect NG to be easier to ramp up and down than nuclear or hydro.

My new straight rate meter was installed yesterday. I confirmed that it is a “dumb meter”, which is kind of surprising consisting how common smart meters are now.

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Fri. Oct. 07, 2022 8:41 am

Rob R. wrote:
Fri. Oct. 07, 2022 6:13 am
My new straight rate meter was installed yesterday. I confirmed that it is a “dumb meter”, which is kind of surprising consisting how common smart meters are now.
I thought one benefit of smart meters was to help pinpoint outages and speed up repairs. If the meter for 905 Hicks Road is still reporting back to the central computer, but the ones at 907 and higher have stopped reporting, then the repair crew knows right where to look for a broken line. But I have seen no publicity about this feature, so I don't know if it is true or not.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Oct. 07, 2022 8:59 am

rberq wrote:
Fri. Oct. 07, 2022 8:41 am
I thought one benefit of smart meters was to help pinpoint outages and speed up repairs. If the meter for 905 Hicks Road is still reporting back to the central computer, but the ones at 907 and higher have stopped reporting, then the repair crew knows right where to look for a broken line. But I have seen no publicity about this feature, so I don't know if it is true or not.
That is true.

nut
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glacier Bay
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: electric

Post by nut » Fri. Oct. 07, 2022 9:31 am

Around here it meant no more meter readers. There is a PPL center near me that had a parking lot full of cars. Now there are hardly any. PPL said no one was let go, just not replaced when they retired.

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”