Heat Pumps

nut
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glacier Bay
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: electric

Post by nut » Sat. Jul. 23, 2022 10:23 am

I think I'll turn on the electric before I pay $450/ton. In past years I would not light the stove until mid November and the additional electric per month was maybe $75/mon until then. I think mid December might be my start point now. Heat pump is in my future.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sat. Jul. 23, 2022 11:48 am

nut wrote:
Sat. Jul. 23, 2022 10:23 am
I think I'll turn on the electric before I pay $450/ton. In past years I would not light the stove until mid November and the additional electric per month was maybe $75/mon until then. I think mid December might be my start point now. Heat pump is in my future.
Just pay attention to your bill before you stretch it too long. Remember the rates will be higher.

nut

Post by nut » Sat. Jul. 23, 2022 1:32 pm

Looks like minisplits are still eligible for 26% federal tax credit till end of 2022, Plus $400 PPL rebate.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Aug. 07, 2022 9:47 am

nut wrote:
Sat. Jul. 23, 2022 1:32 pm
Looks like minisplits are still eligible for 26% federal tax credit till end of 2022, Plus $400 PPL rebate.
I am waiting for the air to water units to come down in price. Hopefully they are available as DIY kits at some point.

nut

Post by nut » Sun. Aug. 07, 2022 10:01 am

The one thing holding me back from buying a diy unit is the possibility of needing a high priced service call from a hvac guy not happy with the concept of diy hvac. If installed properly there still is the very probable dead on arrival unit or soon to be. That could eat up any savings real fast. Seems like 10 years is the expected life expectancy with a few exceptions.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Sun. Aug. 07, 2022 3:28 pm

The one thing holding me back from buying a diy unit is the possibility of needing a high priced service call from a hvac guy not happy with the concept of diy hvac.
Hold that thought you are right...... Maintenance is job 1 and expense 1. It never fails. My AK 180 just runs and runs and works fine. My Trane 5 ton HVAC is running in it's 28th year without service. Overpowered of course.

nut

Post by nut » Sun. Aug. 07, 2022 3:39 pm

Knock on wood ^

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Aug. 07, 2022 4:31 pm

nut wrote:
Sun. Aug. 07, 2022 10:01 am
The one thing holding me back from buying a diy unit is the possibility of needing a high priced service call from a hvac guy not happy with the concept of diy hvac. If installed properly there still is the very probable dead on arrival unit or soon to be. That could eat up any savings real fast. Seems like 10 years is the expected life expectancy with a few exceptions.
That is why I am waiting for an air to water unit. The “Monobloc” units are Self contained, you don’t have to touch the refrigeration side. Just setup the unit outside, connect glycol lines to main system and go.

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Sun. Aug. 07, 2022 9:44 pm

Rob R. wrote:
Sun. Aug. 07, 2022 4:31 pm
That is why I am waiting for an air to water unit. The “Monobloc” units are Self contained, you don’t have to touch the refrigeration side. Just setup the unit outside, connect glycol lines to main system and go.
More info on this please.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Aug. 08, 2022 11:41 am

Rob R. wrote:
Better can be had with water to water vs air to water “monobloc”…all else is the same as stated except can sit indoors and without glycol. Called GSHP (ground source heat pump)
Been doing some water to water and water to air for 27 years all DIY myself. Geo gets a bad rap on cost to install but there are ways…
Still burn some recreational coal though.😀

nut

Post by nut » Mon. Aug. 08, 2022 1:31 pm

Rob R. wrote:
You need a hot water heating system to connect to I am assuming?

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Aug. 11, 2022 7:49 am

nut wrote:
Mon. Aug. 08, 2022 1:31 pm
You need a hot water heating system to connect to I am assuming?
There are plenty of heat pump systems that don't require a hot water heating system, but if you already have one that you want to use - you need to use an air to water unit, or ground source unit like McGiever mentioned. I already have a hot water heating system in my house. I use my air to air heat pump to take the chill off in the fall and spring, but it can't heat the house as evenly as the hot water system (and it can't make use of the radiant heat in the kitchen floor). I am not ready to make any big changes yet, but heat pumps keep getting better and coal keeps getting more expensive - so I will continue to evaluate my options.
McGiever wrote:
Mon. Aug. 08, 2022 11:41 am

Better can be had with water to water vs air to water “monobloc”…all else is the same as stated except can sit indoors and without glycol. Called GSHP (ground source heat pump)
Been doing some water to water and water to air for 27 years all DIY myself. Geo gets a bad rap on cost to install but there are ways…
Still burn some recreational coal though.😀
Agreed. I would be looking at a ground source setup if my properly wasn't all limestone with a low water table. Air to water seems like the best compromise.

nut

Post by nut » Thu. Aug. 11, 2022 8:32 am

If I were a younger man I would invest in a ground water system. Solar panels also. Right now my best option is an air to air heat pump with coal for the coldest months. I don't understand how an air to water system works without a hydronic system in house? Something similar to a radiator?

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Aug. 11, 2022 8:44 am

nut wrote:
Thu. Aug. 11, 2022 8:32 am
If I were a younger man I would invest in a ground water system. Solar panels also. Right now my best option is an air to air heat pump with coal for the coldest months. I don't understand how an air to water system works without a hydronic system in house? Something similar to a radiator?
If you don't have a hot water heating system in the house and don't plan to install one, I would just stick with an air to air unit. If distribution throughout the home is a challenge, an air handler with ductwork might be the way to go. A friend of mine just did this - has a wall mounted minisplit in living/dining/kitchen area, and an air handler in the attic with ductwork going to each bedroom.

I was checking out Artic heat pumps earlier and say that they have some interesting articles on their website:

https://www.arcticheatpumps.com/articles.html

BunkerdCaddis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Bairmatic-Van Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Van Wert VW85H
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge
Other Heating: oil fired hydronic

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Thu. Aug. 11, 2022 8:13 pm

So I always figured these DHW tanks w/ heat pumps on them were a bit of a joke (taking heat out of the air you just heated w/ your resistance heat at worst) and then I read somewhere about retro fit units that you could at least set outside to take advantage of warmer weather. Can you retro fit one to a domestic coil in a boiler to heat your DHW over the summer? Keeping your boiler warm at the same time instead of a light bulb... :eh:

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”