PA electric rate increase

nut
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glacier Bay
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: electric

Post by nut » Thu. Nov. 10, 2022 3:44 pm

That's how they all operate. When the term is up they hope you don't notice the increase. They are required by law to give you 2 written notices when the term is up. I always get the ones with no early termination fee so if something better comes along no problem.

k-2
Stoker Coal Boiler: K2- Keystoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker Stove
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by k-2 » Thu. Nov. 10, 2022 11:25 pm

nut wrote:
Thu. Nov. 10, 2022 3:44 pm
. I always get the ones with no early termination fee so if something better comes along no problem.
Watch out for those too,the one i was looking at said no early termination fees but read the fine print in the terms and it most certainly does have an early termination fee.

nut

Post by nut » Fri. Nov. 11, 2022 7:32 am

I think those contracts are one size fits all but exceptions can be noted. Bottom line is I was paying 7 cents last year and now 11cents. Every penny equals $10 per 1000 kwh so my winter bills are going to be up there.

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Fri. Nov. 11, 2022 8:31 am

I read all the fine print with the contract we just signed up for. I saw no mention of fees for anything. I sure hope so. Was accepted this week for 48 months at 10.79 cents. Met-ed is going to 10.4 cents December first and then another increase in March. I just checked energy choices website and the place we signed up with is 11.19 cents now for 48 months. It will go up again more after the December first Met-ed rate increase. We avg 1000 kwh a month here. less in the winter, the a/c's and the dehumidifier really run up the bill. I had the dehumidifier set at 50% in july when my aunt gave it to us and we got a 279 dollar electric bill.....oops!

k-2

Post by k-2 » Sun. Nov. 20, 2022 12:23 pm

lincolnmania wrote:
Fri. Nov. 11, 2022 8:31 am
I read all the fine print with the contract we just signed up for. I saw no mention of fees for anything. I sure hope so. Was accepted this week for 48 months at 10.79 cents. Met-ed is going to 10.4 cents December first and then another increase in March. I just checked energy choices website and the place we signed up with is 11.19 cents now for 48 months. It will go up again more after the
I read it too from Energy Harbor offering 11.09c for 24 and for 34 month. As far as a termination fee they are very evasive. They claim no termination fee within 3 days of signing up and 30 days of contract expiration. So that leaves open the possibility there is an ETF for 95% of the term although they dont say what it is. Nor could i find it during a google search.

nut

Post by nut » Sun. Nov. 20, 2022 12:36 pm

I just signed with Energy Harbor too. The agreement they email you will say 0 termination fee. That is the bottom line. The generic contract covers all the bases for all their plans. Your specific plan modifies the generic contract.

k-2

Post by k-2 » Sun. Nov. 20, 2022 12:48 pm

I have taken different approach to my electric use and expense. Iv been thinking about solar for a long time ,but lots of obstacles ,contractor availability,sourcing US made products. South facing roof not very large. Expensive installation. 10 year + payback. potential roof problems and 20 to 25K for a 7KW system. Instead i decided to try a radically different approach. I bought my electric companies stock a few weeks ago to see how long it would take to earn a years worth of electric bills. Long story short ,i wont be buying any solar panels.

k-2

Post by k-2 » Sun. Nov. 20, 2022 12:57 pm

nut wrote:
Sun. Nov. 20, 2022 12:36 pm
I just signed with Energy Harbor too. The agreement they email you will say 0 termination fee. That is the bottom line. The generic contract covers all the bases for all their plans. Your specific plan modifies the generic contract.
Here is their explanation of the terms.
"If you have a fixed duration contract that will be ending, or whenever Energy Harbor wants to
change the contract, you will receive two separate notices before the contract ends or the
changes happen. You will receive the first notice 45-60 days before, and the second notice 30
days before the expiration date or the date the change becomes effective. These notices will
explain your options going forward, including any automatic renewal terms that may apply. You will
not be charged an ETF or any other fees or penalties if you terminate within thirty days prior to

either the expiration of your Agreement or the date on which a material change in the terms and
conditions becomes effective"

I take that to mean they can change it whenever they want and you are only guaranteed no ETF within 30 days of expiration.

nut

Post by nut » Sun. Nov. 20, 2022 1:38 pm

I think the difference is in the term "fixed duration". The 0 etf plan states there is no end term date. You are only guaranteed that rate up to the term length but there is no obligation to. It's a little confusing because on one hand they are saying term length but on the other they are saying no end term date. I have terminated plans like these early with no penalty. edit: If they do charge an etf it would be a shady business practice. Did you talk to them on the phone?
Edit: If there is an etf , the amount is not spelled out except the word "none" Most contracts with a etf state it is a specific amount x the number of months remaining in the contract.

k-2

Post by k-2 » Sun. Nov. 20, 2022 2:18 pm

nut wrote:
Sun. Nov. 20, 2022 1:38 pm
. Did you talk to them on the phone?
No, i was thinking of signing up but their agreement is so foggy that im a bit hesitant. Although i dont think id find a better deal anyway under 11c when PPLis going up to 15c+ generation starting Dec 1st. Ill probably give it a go. Not sure if there is any other reason to switch other than a they seem to suggest they can change it any time they want ,i would assume they can change the rate up from 11c as well.

nut

Post by nut » Sun. Nov. 20, 2022 2:29 pm

Let's hope that rates are better in 3 years or so or this conversation is moot anyway. I always thought their overall plan was to get us all to conserve energy so new power plants and line upgrades wouldn't be necessary but raise rates so not to lose $.

k-2

Post by k-2 » Fri. Dec. 02, 2022 6:00 pm

So yesterday was the first day of the rate hike to 14.61cKWH for us PPL customers from 12 and change. The good news is the 7% off standard rate is back with some suppliers signing up to provide power in the 13.5c range. I found 3 suppliers that offered 11.9c but 2 were bait and switch and was only able to sign up with frontier. No telling if it will actually go through as many times it does not. Takes a week or so until you find out.
Last edited by k-2 on Fri. Dec. 02, 2022 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nut

Post by nut » Fri. Dec. 02, 2022 6:59 pm

Why did you wait for the increase to make a selection?

k-2

Post by k-2 » Fri. Dec. 02, 2022 7:02 pm

nut wrote:
Fri. Dec. 02, 2022 6:59 pm
Why did you wait for the increase to make a selection?
Because there were no offers before that,i was checking about once a week. No supplier was offering a better rate than PPL. Lots of suppliers, but offering all the way up in the 20s and over specially the renewables all around 20cKwh.

nut

Post by nut » Fri. Dec. 02, 2022 7:20 pm

You said you were having trouble being accepted. There were some 11. something offerings before. I got 11.66 for 32 months from Harbor just before Nov. 1. I originally chose that 3 mo. 10.99 but when PPL announced the upcoming 14.6 rate I dropped it and got the longer guaranteed 11.66.

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”