Heating With Wood and Gas Will be Illegal in New York State

Ultralume
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Vigilant II, Godin 3720, Godin 3731
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut and Stove Coal

Post by Ultralume » Sat. Jan. 01, 2022 3:26 pm

Apparently a bill was passed in 2019 known as The New York State Leadership and Community Protection Act will come into effect in October 2022 that will make heating with wood and gas illegal. Seems crazy to me. Wood is probably the most carbon neutral fuel that you can use to heat your home with. What doesn’t make any sense is the 26% tax credit that you will get when buying an EPA approved wood stove that’s 75% efficient or better which will become illegal to use in New York State starting October 2022. I didn’t see any mention of coal stoves but they might be Banned as well under this law… has anyone heard of this law and how it pertains to coal?

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Sat. Jan. 01, 2022 3:29 pm

I don’t know how it’s possible… there’s an ungodly amount of people here that heat with wood. Are they gonna fine people??

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Sat. Jan. 01, 2022 4:16 pm

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Sat. Jan. 01, 2022 4:16 pm

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Jan. 01, 2022 5:26 pm

U, it's bullsht-- been tryin to do that for years--I know local law enforcement just kinda roll their eyes & pray that Albany will implode at some point in time!!Best way to eliminate green gas's would be for the politicians up here to shut the fck up!!!!!!!! :roll:

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Sat. Jan. 01, 2022 5:48 pm

Well said Fred!!!

Ultralume
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Vigilant II, Godin 3720, Godin 3731
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut and Stove Coal

Post by Ultralume » Sat. Jan. 01, 2022 10:21 pm

The local Ulster County news is exaggerating and spreading misinformation. I love using my coal, wood and propane stoves and can't imagine cold days without them..

Here is a link illustrating the misinformation about this bill...

https://wyrk.com/heating-with-firewood-in-new-york/

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sun. Jan. 02, 2022 3:04 am

Ultralume wrote:
Sat. Jan. 01, 2022 3:26 pm
Wood is probably the most carbon neutral fuel that you can use to heat your home with.
That's largely true as long as it remains a niche source of energy. New growth needs to match what you are consuming. On a whim I once did some calculations of the space need to sustainably power US needs with wood. I came up with a land area a little larger than Texas, CA and Alaska combined.

These bans are coming in liberal runs states. The wood is a big target because of the irresponsible use of it, e.g. outdoor wood boiler using wet wood effectively making it a smoke machine. These laws will not affect current installations but new buildings and down the road you may find it illegal to replace a gas boiler with gas. One of the huge ironies here is unless the source of the energy is low carbon source this will actually drive up emissions. It's much more efficient to directly use gas to heat your home than an electric boiler where the electric has been produced by gas.

Holdencoal

Post by Holdencoal » Sun. Jan. 02, 2022 8:41 am

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Jan. 02, 2022 8:52 am

Holdencoal wrote:
Sun. Jan. 02, 2022 8:41 am
Mass is doing the ban on gas now. They want all electric homes.

https://www.spglobal.com/marketintelligence/en/ne ... k-62026427

https://www.greentechmedia.com/amp/article/massac ... phase-down
They are forcing electrification without a plan of how to generate the electricity needed...brilliant. :roll:

Seems like an easier approach would be to focus on getting the cost of electricity down. If it was cheaper to heat with electricity people would go that way without a mandate.

Holdencoal

Post by Holdencoal » Sun. Jan. 02, 2022 9:09 am

Back when the foreign oil crisis was going on a lot of houses around my area installed electric ceiling radiant heat. Two houses in my neighborhood have it and both owners hate it. One even burned coal and still has the concrete pad for his bin.

CoalisCoolxWarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: old Sears rebuilt, bituminous- offline as of winter 2014
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Buckwheat
Other Heating: Oil Boiler

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Sun. Jan. 02, 2022 1:07 pm

Richard S. wrote:
Sun. Jan. 02, 2022 3:04 am

These bans are coming in liberal ruins states.
Fixed your typo. LOL

CoalisCoolxWarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: old Sears rebuilt, bituminous- offline as of winter 2014
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Buckwheat
Other Heating: Oil Boiler

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Sun. Jan. 02, 2022 1:12 pm

Holdencoal wrote:
Sun. Jan. 02, 2022 8:41 am
Mass is doing the ban on gas now. They want all electric homes.

https://www.spglobal.com/marketintelligence/en/ne ... k-62026427

https://www.greentechmedia.com/amp/article/massac ... phase-down
It would be fine if they also banned electricity generated out of state.

Understanding requirements to reach Equilibrium is much easier in a closed system.

Maths is easier with smaller numbers for those considering this kind of nonsense.

godsgirl81
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark 3
Coal Size/Type: Nut and sometimes Pea

Post by godsgirl81 » Mon. Jan. 10, 2022 8:29 pm

This has NOTHING to do with the environment. Do some research on Agenda 21 folks. This is all about having everyone dependant 100% on the grid ( its about control) 20 yrs ago you'd say this is a conspiracy theory but given the events going on these days most people have finally woken up. The last thing they want is people who are self sufficient and can produce their own food, heat their homes ect.. If they got you hooked up to the grid, dependant on their food supply, and control your health care they can pretty much dictate anything they want, and for those who don't tow the line, it's easy as a few clicks to shut their heat, hot water ect off in an instant. Now you'd think they'd never do such as thing right? Well who would have thought 20 yrs ago that today people would be treated like their pet Labradors being forced to go get their shots? Yep exactly!! I prefer to stay totally dependant on my faith and myself. Live life the way you see fit is the only way your truly free. Just something to think about folks.
People in NY need to just keep burning wood as they always have, the government doesnt have the right to tell people they cant heat their homes this way. This is what happens when we just sit back and allow crooked politicians to run amuck with no pushback. People need to start uniting together against things like this before its too late

Chefron

Post by Chefron » Wed. Jan. 26, 2022 9:43 am

I am from Poland and I have a question. How many people do you have underfloor heating in the form of Pex / Al / Pex pipes loops in a cement floor?
For me, it is a very popular solution, thanks to which you can use low-temperature heat sources.
I also have local restrictions on burning coal and wood (mainly in cities).

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”