Pioneer Brand Cast Iron Insert - 1912 home

bFow
Baseburners & Antiques: Antique Pioneer Cast Iron Insert

Post by bFow » Thu. Mar. 11, 2021 12:55 pm

Hi,

Have a 1912 home with this beautiful "Pioneer" cast iron insert:
IMG_3563.jpg
.JPG | 586.9KB | IMG_3563.jpg
Would appreciate advice on how to refurbish it. One of the two grates that supports the logs for the first is missing parts. Both the broken one and the intact one pivot along their central axle. From below they each have a prong that would be activated I assume by the now missing pull handle that works through the hold in the bottom draft slides (ash level) from the top photo. Can anyone please help me identify what this is called and what part I might need?

Separately the knob is missing from the pull rod for the lower flue, suggestions on replacement parts?
IMG_3560.jpg
.JPG | 349KB | IMG_3560.jpg
Finally in the cast draft grates there bolts / knobs are missing, what could I use to replace these to be able to control the air input?
IMG_3561.jpg
.JPG | 719.4KB | IMG_3561.jpg
View of the bottom ash compartment, with a plate covering the old ash chute (now defunct) that went to the basement below.
IMG_3562.jpg
.JPG | 593.3KB | IMG_3562.jpg
Thank you!!!

bFow

Post by bFow » Thu. Mar. 11, 2021 12:56 pm

Apologies, photo orientation is off kilter.

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Sun. Mar. 14, 2021 11:21 pm

From the picture I would say both grates are likely the same.

Remove the back one and make sure it fits ok in the front slot. If so you can clean it up with a wire brush and send it out to Tomahawk Foundry in Rice Lake, Wisconsin. They will recast you a replacment grate.

As far as the replacement handle and knobs, post some close up pictures of the damper and control rod and we may be able to figure out what you need.

Also if you put your location in your profile, it's possible there is a member close by that can take a look at it.

Paulie

bFow

Post by bFow » Mon. Mar. 15, 2021 1:04 pm

Hi Pauliewog,

Thanks for your help. I'm in Calgary, Alberta. Here's a photo of the damper open, damper closed, and the control rod. I expect the rod is a bit bent as it takes a bit of playing around with it (vs. straight push/pull) to get the damper to move.
IMG_3583.jpg
.JPG | 404.9KB | IMG_3583.jpg
IMG_3584.jpg
.JPG | 379.2KB | IMG_3584.jpg
IMG_3585.jpg
.JPG | 416.2KB | IMG_3585.jpg

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”