Propane Tank move and transfer?

CoalisCoolxWarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: old Sears rebuilt, bituminous- offline as of winter 2014
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Buckwheat
Other Heating: Oil Boiler

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Thu. Dec. 17, 2020 5:51 pm

I have a FULL 500 gal Propane tank (400gals) that is about 800 yds from where it needs to be for us to use for our backup heat and our propane cook stove. My grandfather passed a while back and this I inherited on our property, where they had their own mobile home that is now defunct and to be torn out soon.

I am worried about lifting it with the Case 580k, possibly tearing the lift handles off, leading to a catastrophic failure that I will never hear. :o

I had a liquid fill port added to it when installed with the intention of filling 100lb tanks, but have never done so.

So I have a few options:

1. Use forks and build a cradle to lift from below and drive it out the rough path to the downhill pavement and to its new location and hope the valves don't fail from liquid propane sloshing against it.

2. Equalize it with its sister 500gal tank that is currently empty and move one of them while half full, then swap someday down the road when the other one is empty.

3. Get fill nozzle, shutoff, and hose and fill 100lb tanks until it is only about 1/2 full and move it then. I don't have a scale that large, so "guess" and/or rely on OPD to stop the fill. Or install a gauge on the 100lb tank.

4. Get another 420lb tank ("cylinder") with gauge and fill it like the propane truck used to, up to 80% and then move it with forks from below or chain on top lift points.

What to do???

I have the equipment to lift it and have done many "sketchy" things before, but I don't know how the valves will react to the sloshing liquid or if they will fail ???

It would cost me some $$ to get the remaining components to fill tanks, simply to slowly empty it.

Does anyone fill their own tanks? I know it is common on the midwest farms where they run their pumps and such on propane, but I don't hear about it much around here.

Opinions? Guidance? Ideas?

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Dec. 17, 2020 6:12 pm

I would have a local independent propane company pump it out, move the tank, and connect to your system along with the other 500 gallon tank.

CoalisCoolxWarm

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Thu. Dec. 17, 2020 6:44 pm

Rob R. wrote:
Thu. Dec. 17, 2020 6:12 pm
I would have a local independent propane company pump it out, move the tank, and connect to your system along with the other 500 gallon tank.
Okay, let's assume that isn't an option, LOL. Think "Redneck" and DIY.

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Thu. Dec. 17, 2020 8:09 pm

A full 500 gallon propane tank will only hold around 250 gallons of propane. It’s got about 1000 lbs of propane in it.

If your handles are like mine I would think they would be rated beyond that.

Build a skid out of 4x4 posts, lift it with the hoe, put the skid under it, lag bolt it down and drag it where you want it.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Thu. Dec. 17, 2020 9:04 pm

Equalize with sister...
Use the lifting ears if they look good...
Add lifting straps around tank...
Load on a trailer or sled...
Bring both to new location...

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Thu. Dec. 17, 2020 10:08 pm

As much as I rarely follow the golden safety rules all the time, I'd have it pumped out, then move it, then refill it.

gaw
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Thu. Dec. 17, 2020 10:13 pm

CoalisCoolxWarm wrote:
Thu. Dec. 17, 2020 6:44 pm
Okay, let's assume that isn't an option, LOL. Think "Redneck" and DIY.
Start drinking early in the day and move the tank later that day.

tsb
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II
Baseburners & Antiques: Grander Golden Oak , Glenwood # 6
Coal Size/Type: All of them

Post by tsb » Thu. Dec. 17, 2020 11:03 pm

The tanks are strong. You could dump it on it's side and roll it to the new location. You should start drinking a few hours before this maneuver.

CoalisCoolxWarm

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Sat. Dec. 19, 2020 8:13 pm

Somehow I lost my reply from yesterday. Maybe I closed down before hitting Submit or something.

The gist of is was that I am leaning towards building some kind of cradle under it for the forks, then also attach chains to the lifting handles and tightening to hold in place and take the load in case of failure.

I'll have to back down the steep road with the 2WD to keep braking capabilities. If going forward downhill and it tipped some, the only way to stop would be to slam the tank to the road to use the back wheels. So backwards it is ;)

I have a bit of time as I have to now wait for a couple of snow-free and clear days, and for my backhoe to return home.

Glad to hear the lifting handles are that strong. I was worried about tearing them off the tank. I've never cut one open, so no idea how thick they are.

snuffy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF250 & Mark III backup
Other Heating: Oil Hot Water

Post by snuffy » Tue. Dec. 22, 2020 7:58 pm

Empty it's probably a somewhat sound idea, filled moves it to crazy territory. Your design sounds plausable till the moving (pulling) it with a machine. Maybe spend a little more money and use a electric wench, high tension cable and a counterbalance back weight attached to the rear handle to help smooth movement then you can keep your eyes on it and react more quickly and move at a slower pace.

CoalisCoolxWarm

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Tue. Dec. 22, 2020 8:18 pm

snuffy wrote:
Tue. Dec. 22, 2020 7:58 pm
Empty it's probably a somewhat sound idea, filled moves it to crazy territory. Your design sounds plausable till the moving (pulling) it with a machine. Maybe spend a little more money and use a electric wench, high tension cable and a counterbalance back weight attached to the rear handle to help smooth movement then you can keep your eyes on it and react more quickly and move at a slower pace.
I have a really heavy duty set of forks. I think they are rated at 8k. They are stamped, so legit, I just don't remember exactly.

Not planning on any dragging. Yeah, that would be in the "sanity challenged" category. LOL

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Dec. 22, 2020 8:37 pm

C, ya got a plan good plan, stop thinkin & Just DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

pyma

Post by pyma » Wed. Dec. 23, 2020 4:23 am

I was in the construction field. The tanks were used all the time for temporary heat in many commercial buildings I had worked on. I ran an all terrain forklift (skytrack). Always would move them with lifting straps and shackles in the lifting ears, full or not, never a problem. All sizes of tanks. As long as your equipment will lift it safely.

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Wed. Dec. 23, 2020 7:11 am

You don’t have access to some type of trailer? Lift and put it on the trailer, then strap down and tow safely with pickup, lift it with lifting straps, do not use the eyelets with a full tank, there only for lifting empty tanks.

CoalisCoolxWarm

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Wed. Dec. 23, 2020 7:16 am

Thanks, Fred ;) Waiting on the weather so my backhoe can return home.
pyma wrote:
Wed. Dec. 23, 2020 4:23 am
I was in the construction field. The tanks were used all the time for temporary heat in many commercial buildings I had worked on. I ran an all terrain forklift (skytrack). Always would move them with lifting straps and shackles in the lifting ears, full or not, never a problem. All sizes of tanks. As long as your equipment will lift it safely.
Pyma- Thank you for that info, it's just what I wanted to hear! This one is 500 GALLON (not to be confused with 500lb/420lb cylinders)

I found this link that has a lot of weight and other info, in case anyone was interested: https://www.survivaltechshop.com/500-gallon-propa ... nk-weight/

I am always impressed with the wide area of expertise of so many on this board- genuine knowledge. Thanks all!

Maybe I will get some pics when I do it ;)

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”