Kerosene forced air heater wont work

carlherrnstein
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: combustioneer model 77B
Coal Size/Type: pea stoker/Ohio bituminous

Post by carlherrnstein » Tue. Nov. 12, 2019 8:50 pm

A friend of mine gave me a dyna-glo workhorse 65k forced air heater a couple years ago. He couldn't get it to run and asked me if i wanted it..... :D I am planning to use this in a very well ventilated (drafty) work shop.

It was empty of fuel so I bought 2 gal of clear K1 and tried it, at first the burner would not ignite. So I tore it apart and found a loose tube, I put that where it belonged an tried again. This time it would flicker on and off for maybe 15 seconds then shut off and the indicator lamp would blink. So I tore it apart again and found the air tube that runs to the burner was cracked at the burner. Tonight I installed a new air tube from the air pump to the burner an tried again. No luck it will run for 15-20 seconds (just long enough for me to begin to think its fine) then shuts down an the indicator light blinks.

Anybody have any ideas on things to look at or try.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Tue. Nov. 12, 2019 9:11 pm

Clean the nozzle.

carlherrnstein

Post by carlherrnstein » Sun. Nov. 24, 2019 10:02 pm

This thing is stumping me. I took the fuel nozzle out and cleaned it with compressed air (it wasn't clogged) I also replaced the intake/output/lint filters, Cleaned the fuel filter, cleaned the photocell no luck. I just checked the operation of the photocell and it checks out good. The only thing I can even guess might be the problem is the air pressure Its supposed to be 3.8 I guess that is the only thing left.

Is there anything else to look out for?

carlherrnstein

Post by carlherrnstein » Mon. Nov. 25, 2019 9:41 pm

Got it, It was the air pressure. I borrowed a 0-15psi gauge from my work and checked the air pressure it was up around 9psi. So I tried to adjust it down but it didn't change the pressure. I figured it out eventually the pressure regulator has a small ball bearing with a spring behind it, the ball had some rust on it and was stuck closed.

I'm surprised at how simple this heater is, I don't understand why a new one is $200.

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”