Wind mills

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Thu. Oct. 03, 2019 4:33 pm

So after 20 years of inefficient/intermittent operation ....

https://www.americanexperiment.org/2019/10/it-cos ... ILW0qdfhPk

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Thu. Oct. 03, 2019 7:20 pm

Say it aint so CN!!!! I thought the free living hippy children of the new age would pitch in and take them down and recycle them into compost......You mean these things don't last forever? After killing a few million birds and saving us from untold gazillions of carbon emissions, it is the least we can do......just tax the normal people a little more.....

Kevin

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Thu. Oct. 03, 2019 7:32 pm

sadly true Klook.

Thanks for that link CN. And my Governor wants to increase alt energy but dont most of them now. i think they are pushing solar as much or more than wind close to me now. You'll probably here me complain more pretty soon when they release where thats gonna be cuz i think its close by. I mostly hate the windmills here because they ship the power away to big cities and Im stuck looking at those ugly things.

I guess i'd rather have solar by me than wind just cuz I dont have to look at panels 20 miles away like the almost 200 windmills I can see from my upstairs window. Im kinda screwed cuz Im near a major electric line that they can hook into, and few houses. And now that farming is on a downward slide here farmers will be more willing to rent them land.

Toddburn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983/ Hitzer 55
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite/pea
Other Heating: Heat pump/forced air

Post by Toddburn » Thu. Oct. 03, 2019 7:49 pm

Sounds like another government scam to fill some companies pockets with taxpayer money. 20 yrs isn't very long for service. I'm sure there are people who would tear them down for free as long as they could have the scrap metal.

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Thu. Oct. 03, 2019 9:11 pm

I'm sure there are people who would tear them down for free as long as they could have the scrap metal.
That is not how gov works and you know it. It must cost more then anyone can conceive and be done slowly over years, proving how hard it is. They will study the environmental impacts of the removal so long some of them will fall down.....millions in studies, public forums, newspaper articles.......we have seen this before...

Kevin

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Fri. Oct. 04, 2019 8:35 am

Yes Kev, all of that but there is more.

Politicians corrupt buddy wants to get into the windmill making racket. Money changes hands and the contract is awarded. The new guy screws up the construction real bad so what to do? So let us make this into a study in how to take a windmill apart so the screw up is never discovered.

Easy.

oros35
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Cozeburn OWB burning Bit
Baseburners & Antiques: 1912 Smith & Anthony Hub Heater #215

Post by oros35 » Fri. Oct. 04, 2019 10:07 am

In that 20 years, a good producing windmill will produce around 120 million kWh of electricity.
In comparison a single nuclear reactor will produce 2,000,000,000,000 million kWh of electricity in that same 20 years. Also zero emissions.

Let those numbers sink in.

Decommissioning a nuclear reactor costs about 500 million. Windmill 0.5 million.

A typical nuclear reactor is licensed for 40 years, relatively easy to get extended to 60 years, and it's very possible that they could be extended to 80 years. Decommissioning costs stay the same. There are costs associated with license extension, but all part of plant maintenance as would be the same for a windmill life extension.

If the government didn't pay for it, there would be no windmills ever built. There is no business case to support building them.
Last edited by oros35 on Fri. Oct. 04, 2019 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Fri. Oct. 04, 2019 10:52 am

In that 20 years, a good producing windmill will produce around 120 million kWh of electricity.
No it's what the median windmill produces which I guess is a third of that at best. Knock off a third again for transmission posses. Now, how much do you deduct for wrecking great stretches of the country. Totally stupid. I understand Greta has approved this study so all is well.

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”