New wood stove standards ignite concerns about cost

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Jan. 13, 2020 7:05 pm

Aside from DeannLehman at Hitzer I’ve not been a big fan of the dealers I’ve talked to, though they are few. Lol!! I suppose it’s not fair to lump them all together. Dean has not been pushy at all and has bent over backwards to help me in every way.

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Sun. Feb. 02, 2020 4:44 am

Hoytman wrote:
Sun. Jan. 05, 2020 11:48 am
I don’t begrudge anyone of making money...that’s the American way. However, some folks/business people have no ethics in my mind.
Yeah it is kind of like the Kubota-Gray Market Fiasco...where ultimately Kubota really lost a lot of customers.

Back a few years ago the diesel engine market went with high emission standards but in the USA a person could keep using their old tractors, but in Japan it was illegal too, so suddenly their old tractors flooded the used tractor market. A person could buy a tractor, excavator, etc for stupid-cheap money, and Kubota was miffed. They put pressure on the USA so they made it illegal to import Gray Market tractors from Japan.

Of course it was still legal in Canada so tractors were brought across the border.

They then put pressure on the dealers to refrain from selling parts to gray market tractor owners; do not sell them parts, do not cross-reference part numbers, pretty much everything to keep them from fixing their gray market tractors.

But Kubota had forgot that the Japan tractors had been replaced by NEW ones...they were not exactly starving to death as a company. And over here, they were infuriating customers.

Now...well those Gray Market tractor buyers are starting to replace those tractors they bought, and with companies now making tractors as good as, or better than Kubota, they no longer have the market cornered like they did, and customers remember being turned away at the parts counter. Kubota really missed an opportunity to make customers for life.

Give a company enough rope, and they will eventually hang themselves: Kubota did just that, worrying about the short term, and lost out bigger in the end.

11ultra103
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93, DS Comfortmax 75
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by 11ultra103 » Thu. Feb. 20, 2020 9:29 pm

Maybe I should list my 2 year old Jotul F500 for more. Bought it for $3000, listed it for $1800. Maybe I should hang on to it and see if the value increases! I'm buying a coal stove before the government ruins those too like they ruined diesel engines. I've always compared heating appliances to engines. you need air, fuel, ignition, and exhaust for both. Fuel and air goes in, combustion occurs to achieve the desired output, and exhaust goes out. There is no need for the exhaust to go back into the engine or appliance and no reason to reduce the exhaust flow on an engine, it is spent energy! No value to keeping it.

11ultra103
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93, DS Comfortmax 75
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by 11ultra103 » Thu. Feb. 20, 2020 9:31 pm

coalnewbie wrote:
Wed. Sep. 25, 2019 8:53 am
I wonder where wood and/or coal stoves stand. Does this mean if you are burning coal you are compliant but wood not so or does it mean that the stove is banned totally because it could burn possibly wood.
For example the DS Comfortmax was listed as an efficient wood/ coal stove. It has the reburn tubes in the top to burn off wood smoke and gasses, from what I understand it used to come with a metal plate to partially cover the grates for burning wood. Now they have had to list it as a coal only stove. No idea if it still comes with the metal plate or if you have to make your own now.

joethemechanic

Post by joethemechanic » Fri. Feb. 21, 2020 12:45 am

Back in the 70's when heating oil got high my buddy built a big stove out of welded plate for his shop. All 3/8 plate with lots of bracing to keep it from warping and some kind of big cast iron door he got off a ancient scrapped industrial boiler. He burned everything, old railroad ties, telephone poles, plastic, and now and again a car tire. It was the warmest garage around. Half the night it would be full of old timers sitting around the stove, drinking Genesee in 16oz returnables and bullshitting while us kids worked on our motorhead projects. All kinds of old timers too, mechanics, welders, electricians, machinists, contractors, even a few doctors and lawyers. I remember one time one of the guys cut his hand and this doctor stitched it up next to the stove while explaining to all of us how to stitch properly.

Different times then

gardener

Post by gardener » Thu. May. 21, 2020 8:23 am

I noticed that there is only one emissions standard for wood burning stoves/inserts. So the EPA does not take into consideration the capacity of the firebox. Large capacity wood stoves/inserts are at a disadvantage because they are capable of burning more wood that they would then have to burn even more efficiently than smaller stoves that are less efficient to pass the testing. My opinion is that eventually there will probably be only one large stove and two or three mid sized available in the country. Already this year most of the large stoves/inserts and many of the mid-sized have been dropped from manufacturers' websites.

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”