natural gas heating auto repair shop

mof1964
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby

Post by mof1964 » Wed. Sep. 04, 2019 8:27 pm

A few years ago I inquired about having natural gas to our auto repair shop. I was told at that time it was a cost of $4000
so we did not do anything. We kept heating the building with a combination of #2 fuel oil &/or waste oil.
This past summer we inquired again about natural gas. I was told it would be free if I was ok with UGI running a branch off one of the existing branches on our property. I said sure. So now we have natural gas run to the shop.
we are working on getting quotes for equipment installs etc.
I have gotten a few quotes and they are packages - something I didn't consider before, having our shop have air conditioning for the brutal hot days of summer.
Now this equipment isn't cheap but neither was a quote for a new 250k btu oil furnace & then still have no a/c.
I also just got a news clipping that pa is giving grants for up to 7k towards projects that help them become more efficient with these types of projects.
I wasn't sure I wanted to a/c the shop but after visiting a couple this summer that were I was on board. I can only imagine how much better and more efficient my guys will be if they don't feel like they have been hit by a truck.

Does anyone have any experience with these rooftop packages? i have 1 contractor who proposed rooftop units or have units inside that will handle the heat and a/c and the compressor units located about 50 feet or so away. He likes this option so we don't have to put any holes in my new rubber roof( new last year).

Thoughts ?

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Sep. 04, 2019 8:35 pm

AC in the shop will improve productivity, reduce call-ins on hot days, and possibility make it easier to recruit new workers. If you can swing it, I definitely would go for it.

Most of the units we have where I work have remote compressor installs.

mof1964

Post by mof1964 » Wed. Sep. 04, 2019 8:54 pm

Rob, that is an excellent point about call off's. Our team is dedicated and they are a great crew but the summer heat really drags them down. They haven't called off but productivity starts to stall by lunchtime.
I really didn't know what to expect cost wise but the first 2 quotes came back with roughly the same cost - one has a 1 or 2 year warranty on things and the other is a 10year warranty on it. I think the 10 years is because it's using some of the largest non rooftop type units - maybe small commercial or very large home - & combining 3 of these units to do the work.
plus it's not penetrating our new roof.
our shop building is approx. 6200 sq ft. - not sure what to expect from natural gas heating costs as we still do use waste oil( which is a pain at times) and how cool can we get the building? we have 9 overhead doors but i replaced all of them this past year with insulated doors. Hoping that helps with heating & cooling.
the 7k grant also is very attractive.

ziggy87
Stoker Coal Boiler: axeman anderson 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by ziggy87 » Fri. Sep. 13, 2019 10:53 am

I have never installed a roof top unit, but have serviced a lot of them. They are pretty simple to work on. I know UGI is offering rebates in the Harrisburg area for energy efficient units. They need to be energy star rated to qualify. A roof top unit would probably be the way to go in your situation, that way you are not taking up any floor space. As for brands, look at the warranty. I install Goodman/Amana Hvac equipment and have had good luck. But any major name should be good. If you have any more questions feel free to pm me.

mof1964

Post by mof1964 » Sun. Dec. 29, 2019 8:49 am

I pulled the trigger and made the switch to natural gas for the shop. We are still burning waste oil as well.
instead of roof top units, they used 3 5ton ac/120btu heating units on a platform ceiling in the shop. it seems to be working well for heating the shop. we are using only 1 unit currently and the waste oil unit - running it hard as we are waiting for UGI to come change something at the regulator outside. We expect them next week.
the reason for not using rooftop units was that we just had a new roof installed in 2017 and he didn't want to penetrate the roof if he didn't have to. I'm anxious to see how the cooling side of things work.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sun. Dec. 29, 2019 12:42 pm

Good For You! Thanx for the Irregular Act of getting back to Us and relaying what the decision and outcome has been! Most times,it seems Folks are on "Hot Topic Fire",then,after everyone swarms in to render ideas and opinions,the trail grows very cold!!

mof1964

Post by mof1964 » Sun. Dec. 29, 2019 8:23 pm

Hambden Bob, sure thing. I appreciated the input I got. I will try to keep updated as we move through the heating season. I'm really anxious to see what happens when it comes to AC season.

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”