Cost Propane Installation Tank

skobydog
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anthracite

Post by skobydog » Wed. Aug. 14, 2019 11:51 am

I want to buy a 250 gallon propane tank. It would be above ground. The first company I called said it would be $900.00 installed with permits and regulator valve etc. I haven't heard back from others yet.

Does this sound fair? Is there a way I can save money purchasing one myself? Any other info needed? Thanks

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Wed. Aug. 14, 2019 12:43 pm

tank prices...
http://www.thriftypropane.com/purchasetank
Sounds about right...
The money you save will be getting a better per gallon price...

skobydog

Post by skobydog » Wed. Aug. 14, 2019 1:28 pm

The link sent does not cover my area. It's actually a 120 gallon tank. Most dealers here aren't selling tanks or they're not calling me back.

The price/gallon for propane is about half if I have my own tank. I'm heating a small apartment so ROI shouldn't take long. I just didn't know of any other places to purchase a tank.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Wed. Aug. 14, 2019 1:44 pm

cabinover
Stoker Coal Boiler: Hybrid Axeman Anderson 130
Baseburners & Antiques: Sparkle #12
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Buckwheat, Nut
Other Heating: LP Hot air. WA TX for coal use.

Post by cabinover » Wed. Aug. 14, 2019 7:59 pm

That is a below ground tank M.

Good luck buying an above ground tank. My employer will not sell them, nor will any other LP company that I know of. The only way to get one that I am aware of is buying one that someone already owns, which means their LP company went out of business years ago and sold it to them then.

Then you have to have it certified/inspected. Not sure how much of a PITA Mass. is but I don't think our guy goes out into the field to recertify.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Wed. Aug. 14, 2019 8:22 pm

Skobi, pick up used 100 gallon tanks or whatever size you might come across and then just 'gang' them with a common copper line...start small and add as you find other decent tanks.
Will take a regulator for each tank, but you could possibly get a regulator with a found tank.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Wed. Aug. 14, 2019 9:37 pm

They will charge you to test it if it isn't their tank. They won't fill it without one even if it's new. At least that's how it works around here.

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Wed. Aug. 14, 2019 10:05 pm

I have played this game as well.....my brother has his own tank and calls around to get a bulk fill....they hate it. And they use the recertification line to deny you. Same scam as the small tanks needing to be inspected. I have tanks with the original label on them and not a scratch in the paint, needs to be certified......bullshit.

Kevin

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Wed. Aug. 14, 2019 11:12 pm

skobydog

Post by skobydog » Thu. Aug. 15, 2019 12:55 am

KLook wrote:
Wed. Aug. 14, 2019 10:05 pm
I have played this game as well.....my brother has his own tank and calls around to get a bulk fill....they hate it. And they use the recertification line to deny you. Same scam as the small tanks needing to be inspected. I have tanks with the original label on them and not a scratch in the paint, needs to be certified......bullshit.

Kevin
Are you sure about the recertified? I know DOT tanks do but from my understanding (and the propane company told me) the ASME tanks do not.

Anyway, I've learned it's not as easy as I thought finding a tank. Most of the companies around here don't want to sell them. With the online tanks I get killed on the shipping. The first company I called is actually the best quote I was able to get.

FYI: The price for propane where I am right now is $3.69/gallon if I were to rent their tank but if I own my own tank the same company's price is $1.89/gallon. I never realized how much I could save just by buying my own tank.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Aug. 15, 2019 6:19 am

skobydog wrote:
Wed. Aug. 14, 2019 11:51 am
I want to buy a 250 gallon propane tank. It would be above ground. The first company I called said it would be $900.00 installed with permits and regulator valve etc. I haven't heard back from others yet.

Does this sound fair? Is there a way I can save money purchasing one myself? Any other info needed? Thanks
I doubt you will find a better price than that, if you find anyone else that is even willing to sell you the tank.

Make sure you save all the documentation. If you switch propane companies down the road you will need proof that you own the tank.

skobydog

Post by skobydog » Thu. Aug. 15, 2019 1:36 pm

Rob R. wrote:
Thu. Aug. 15, 2019 6:19 am
I doubt you will find a better price than that, if you find anyone else that is even willing to sell you the tank.

Make sure you save all the documentation. If you switch propane companies down the road you will need proof that you own the tank.
You're right Rob, I was unable to find a better price. The company also has a good reputation from my co worker's friend. Thanks

plumberman
Stoker Coal Boiler: coal gun 130
Coal Size/Type: pea
Other Heating: solar dhw/samsung mini split/oil

Post by plumberman » Sat. Aug. 17, 2019 5:47 am

bin there don that. lots of leg work but worth it!! I ended up on craigs list for tank. install my self. asme tanks are certified for life. gas company will look at lp system pressure test piping for small fee or wave fee with fill up. some companies are scum and others are awesome. may want to check AmeriGas,

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”