I just received some interesting news today

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Wed. Mar. 18, 2020 8:27 am

freetown fred wrote:
Wed. Mar. 18, 2020 8:20 am
Switch or no switch Larry, you'd best not disappear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
I have no intention to disappear.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Mar. 18, 2020 9:31 am

Outstanding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Wed. Mar. 18, 2020 7:59 pm

after I moved into my current home with a ceramic electric
We moved into this house 2 years ago with an expensive glass cooktop electric stove....we could not wait to rip it out. it would not cook even, it would not hold a consistent temp, etc, etc.....I love my gas range. I can look at it and see what it is doing. learn to judge the flame....

Kevin

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Wed. Mar. 18, 2020 8:03 pm

KLook wrote:
Wed. Mar. 18, 2020 7:59 pm
We moved into this house 2 years ago with an expensive glass cooktop electric stove....we could not wait to rip it out. it would not cook even, it would not hold a consistent temp, etc, etc.....I love my gas range. I can look at it and see what it is doing. learn to judge the flame....

Kevin
Induction is radically different.

KLook

Post by KLook » Wed. Mar. 18, 2020 8:10 pm

Induction is radically different.
I know what it is, but it is the same as electric in that when it screws up, it is screwed up....period. Gas is adjustable and consistent.

Kevin

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Thu. Mar. 19, 2020 10:06 am

KLook wrote:
Wed. Mar. 18, 2020 8:10 pm
I know what it is, but it is the same as electric in that when it screws up, it is screwed up....period. Gas is adjustable and consistent.

Kevin

But here Moma says, great ease of constant surface up-keep along with keeping a smooth tidy stove top appearence trumps all that of being a constant commotion to maintain grease and grime of multiple grates, nooks and cranys for what little adjustablity and consistentcy of gas... we must be very lucky somehow also cause we haven't had any electrical screw ups here either in several decades of cooking.

KLook

Post by KLook » Thu. Mar. 19, 2020 5:04 pm

My guess is lucky. I know several people that got rid of their wing ding glass cooktops because they were scratched all to hell and cooked unevenly. They look great new, but only if you don't use them will they not scratch. Gas baby, blue flame.

Kevin

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Thu. Mar. 19, 2020 6:08 pm

We're going on about 5 years of use now, and our induction range is working fantastically. I have to agree with my wife, that I wouldn't ever want a gas range again.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Thu. Mar. 19, 2020 8:10 pm

Our smooth top is pert-near bullet proof, nothing short of a diamond gona scratch it.
Ya know ,they sell hundreds of thousands of these but they're not for just everyone, ;)

BlackBetty06
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Stockton Nut
Other Heating: Jotul 118b woodstove, dual fuel heat pump/condensing propane furnace

Post by BlackBetty06 » Fri. Mar. 20, 2020 10:12 pm

If you havent purchased a boiler yet. Burnham has some very nice offerings and are made here in PA. I have installed the high efficiency condensing units and the higher efficiency non condensing chimney vent units. They all were outstanding boilers. Actually I put one in my in laws house and one in my wifes grandparents house. One of my favorite installs was for a old WWII vet. He built his house in the 50s and had an old General Motors Delco Heat Boiler. It was a down fired oil unit. It cost him 750 a month to heat his house. I installed a new burnham alpine condensing boiler for him. His monthly heating bill for domestic hot water and heat dropped to 135 bucks. Ill never forget when I walked into his house carrying the boiler in my hands and he goes whats that thing? I said thats your new boiler. He goes are you sure that thing is gonna work? He was blown away. Real cool old dude. His name was Clyde. He had his first oil bill that he ever paid. He dug it out of a drawer somewhere and showed me where he paid 9.5 cents per gallon.

Biggest thing with the high efficiency jobs if you put them in is that they must be piped as a primary/secondary loop system or they will short cycle. They need constant flow through the heat exchanger because its such an aggressive heating process. The other thing I cant stress enough is make sure not to skimp on the size of the gas line coming into the house and the header for the gas manifold. These babies can really suck the fuel down when firing full bore. A great advantage though is the turndown ratio as you know. A lot of times you will see the boiler fire to 100% to get up to 180 or whatever the setpoint and then see it drop back to 15 or 20% to keep that setpoint depending on amount of zones calling without cycling off.

Check out the Burnham K2 combi. Also research the fast pipe kit. Go to usboiler.net and click on products then product selector. The high efficiency jobs do have a lot of electronics in them to do what they do but I havent had many issues with them. For every pound of condensate water that is generated, approx 970 btu are gleaned from the flue gases that now become useful heat.

Here is the label off the front of old Clydes boiler.....

Attachments

image.jpg
.JPG | 734.5KB | image.jpg

BlackBetty06
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Stockton Nut
Other Heating: Jotul 118b woodstove, dual fuel heat pump/condensing propane furnace

Post by BlackBetty06 » Mon. Mar. 23, 2020 7:47 pm

KLook wrote:
Wed. Mar. 18, 2020 8:10 pm

Kevin
And when the power goes out you get your matches out and the cool top still works!

KLook

Post by KLook » Mon. Mar. 23, 2020 7:50 pm

And when the power goes out you get your matches out and the cool top still works!
Yup, totally forgot that! Win win win...... :lol:

Kevin

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Tue. Mar. 24, 2020 5:46 am

I will NEVER have an electric cook top again! No way.

From glass tops breaking, to burners blowing out, to slow reaction times on the burners themselves...give me gas/propane please! There is a reason professional Chef's use gas.

Because our stove is so old (1917) we do not like using the oven because of a lack of controls, so we installed an electric wall oven beside our old cook stove. That is the perfect combination. Basically a gas stovetop, and an electric oven. We would have installed a gas wall oven, but they do not make them in large capacity for some reason. We are a family of six, so we cook some big turkey's in our oven on occasion so we needed the biggest size. The nice part comes from the timers, temperature controls, and that sort of thing that the 1917 gas oven just did not have.

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Tue. Mar. 24, 2020 5:51 am

BlackBetty06 wrote:
Fri. Mar. 20, 2020 10:12 pm
If you havent purchased a boiler yet. Burnham has some very nice offerings and are made here in PA. I have installed the high efficiency condensing units and the higher efficiency non condensing chimney vent units. They all were outstanding boilers...
Note: the quote was truncated for space, and not content or quality.

But I agree. That was how my condensing boiler was set up, and it works really well, with both the primary and secondary loops. It also is fed with plenty of gas...the two pound set-up.

When my propane supplier saw that, he shook his head and said, "We do not use the 2 pound system." That is too bad, because that supply company has really robbed their customer's of an efficient way to provide ample propane into a person's home.

As for getting natural gas here, that is never going to happen. The power stops just a few poles away, and then it is some lonely roads without power in all directions! If it took the rural electrification program to get power here, it would take just as much to get natural gas! (LOL)

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Tue. Mar. 24, 2020 6:57 am

NoSmoke wrote:
Tue. Mar. 24, 2020 5:46 am
I will NEVER have an electric cook top again! No way.

From glass tops breaking, to burners blowing out, to slow reaction times on the burners themselves...give me gas/propane please! There is a reason professional Chef's use gas.
I thought the discussion was in regard to the merits of induction ranges vs. gas, not electric resistance ranges. No comparison is possible unless you understand induction.

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”