I just received some interesting news today

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Fri. Jun. 21, 2019 11:00 am

McGiever wrote:
Fri. Jun. 21, 2019 9:46 am
Not exactly on point, but standby/backup generators can be run on NG very nicely...
Indeed!

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Fri. Jun. 21, 2019 2:50 pm

lsayre wrote:
Thu. Jun. 20, 2019 6:36 pm
... the house is actually too big for just my wife and I, so we need to consider resale value and resale potential.
Seems like almost everything we do to the house now :evil: :roll: :no1: is because my wife thinks the way you just described. The only exception is that we now need to install something to get the arsenic out of the water, but that's only because we are running out of space in the cellar for more bodies.

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Fri. Jun. 21, 2019 3:11 pm

rberg, you made my day!!!

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Jun. 21, 2019 6:16 pm

Richard S. wrote:
Fri. Jun. 21, 2019 7:43 am
Since it's already there it's not difficult to keep it. If anything I'd keep it as safeguard against price spikes in the gas. That is unlikely due to the abundance but you never know.

As I already noted if I knew I was going to be living in my Grandmother's house permanently I would of kept the coal boiler. As it is now ith's a pretty big hassle to reinstall it.... I'll see how it goes, perhaps a small hot air stoker in my future. I wish I had the room, I'd put in a coal/gas range myself.
The ability to handle the coal and ash is the big variable here. Larry had hinted that the coal chores were becoming more difficult for him, so I was thinking that switching back to coal years later would be unlikely.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Jun. 22, 2019 1:08 pm

Bottom Line,Larry:Install the NG at a minimum! Home Value of a NG-less home in a NG District will be lower. Create Heating Options from there.

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Sat. Jun. 22, 2019 1:19 pm

Hambden Bob wrote:
Sat. Jun. 22, 2019 1:08 pm
Bottom Line,Larry:Install the NG at a minimum! Home Value of a NG-less home in a NG District will be lower. Create Heating Options from there.
Much wisdom there!

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Sat. Jun. 22, 2019 9:50 pm

Install the gas line...
Install an inexpensive gas consumption device...
Gas DHW...
Then if you need a gas boiler...
You can drop the $$$...

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Mon. Jun. 24, 2019 10:22 am

Would a 55 gallon indirect HWT that is maintained at a nominal 120 degrees (during the summer months, as a consequence of boiler outdoor reset) be sufficient for 4 people?

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Jun. 24, 2019 12:37 pm

It is not merely a factor of size or capacity that 'makes' the one only gauge of the ability of an indirect HWT, but rather the indirect's "rate of recovery"...and of course if the boiler is able to match-up to that...

For example...a 41 gallon Amtek BoilerMate Indirect can run circles around some indirect twice it's size...
Last edited by McGiever on Mon. Jun. 24, 2019 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Jun. 24, 2019 12:42 pm

lsayre wrote:
Mon. Jun. 24, 2019 10:22 am
Would a 55 gallon indirect HWT that is maintained at a nominal 120 degrees (during the summer months, as a consequence of boiler outdoor reset) be sufficient for 4 people?
I would hope so Larry, I have 40 gallon tank and turned heat up to max, think it's 150 but it doesn't have it on the tank. I know it lasted for 45 minutes and it was still hot, probably another 10 or 15 minutes left. That's not a shower head out of a Seinfeld episode either. It's a Moen and the volume does not change, you can only adjust the temp. I like real hot showers too. You'd have to install mixing valve.

For the record I don't take 45 minute showers. I wanted to see how long it would last.

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Mon. Jun. 24, 2019 12:53 pm

Many different 'shades' of Overkill can be had...but BTU In equal BTU Out ;)

Your application may be more akin to using an Indirect HWT as more of a Buffer Tank..."trickle charge" a large quantity of BTUs for later use.
May make sense to use a plain insulated tank and skip the Indirect...use your existing tankless coil for separation of fluids.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Jun. 24, 2019 1:04 pm

lsayre wrote:
Mon. Jun. 24, 2019 10:22 am
Hi Larry - It would be best to determine what first-hour rating your new water heater would need to meet. The old rule is 20 gallons for the first person, and 15 gallons for each additional person...but that doesn't allow for something like an oversize bath tub.

Also, most condensing NG boilers are installed so that a heat call from the indirect fires the boiler at max output, up to the high limit setting (with no regard to outdoor reset). If you keep the indirect at 140 degrees and mix down to 120, you would get the benefit of increased capacity, and kill any legionella bacteria.

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Mon. Jun. 24, 2019 1:21 pm

Where can legionella bacteria be found?
Legionella organisms can be found in many types of water systems. However, the bacteria reproduce to high numbers in warm, stagnant water (95 F-115 F), such as that which is found in certain plumbing systems and hot-water tanks, cooling towers, and evaporative condensers of large air-conditioning systems, and hot tubs.
They are most often found in stagnant water reservoirs like air conditioning cooling towers, whirlpool spas, humidifiers, faucets and shower heads, and are infectious when inhaled.
At what temperature does Legionella die?
The bacteria multiply where temperatures are between 20-45°C and nutrients are available. The bacteria are dormant below 20°C and do not survive above 60°C (140F). Legionnaires' disease is a potentially fatal type of pneumonia, contracted by inhaling airborne water droplets containing viable Legionella bacteria.

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Mon. Jun. 24, 2019 1:51 pm

OK, due to a potential for breeding Legionnaire's disease in a HWT that is maintained at too low a temperature, I'll have to rethink this. I was considering using it somewhat along the lines of a combination buffer and DHW tank and cutting the boiler requirement right to the quick. I only need about 47,000 gross output BTUH, or about 41,000 net BTUH as honest boiler output to accomplish the task. A boiler with about 55,000 BTUH on the input side should work for me. We heated the house for 10 straight years on a 13.5 KW resistance boiler, and 13.5 KW = 46,060 BTUH as both input and gross output. It fired 24/7 and struggled a tad on only about 3 days during that 10 year span. But since then we have had foam insulation injected into the outside walls upstairs, in what is a ranch home with a walk-out basement.

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Mon. Jun. 24, 2019 2:13 pm

I've decided to go ahead and order 5 tons of coal. If they fall behind schedule with the NG line install, or if I fall behind in getting the NG boiler installed, I'll still have heat and DHW.

If my ComfortMax 75 can burn pea, I'll have a means to use it up over time one way or another.

Some of the NG boilers I've been looking at have warranties with a fine print disclaimer that the boiler must be installed by a licensed contractor who is approved by the boiler manufacturer or the warranty will be considered void, so I'm leery of doing the install myself, or with assistance.

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”