Homeowner scale Coal gasification

jrv8984
Other Heating: Blaze King Princess

Post by jrv8984 » Wed. Jan. 23, 2019 1:42 pm

So as the title say, does anybody know about producing coal gas for home/farm to create power and heat?
Methods of how to, or equipment needed?
Last edited by jrv8984 on Wed. Jan. 23, 2019 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Wed. Jan. 23, 2019 1:47 pm

jrv8984 wrote:
Wed. Jan. 23, 2019 1:42 pm
So as the title say, does anybody know about producing coal gas for home/farm to create power and heat?
Methods of hot to, or equipment needed?
It requires an oxygen free environment and seriously high heat. It is (to my knowledge, subject to correction) how both coal gas and coke are simultaneously made.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Thu. Jan. 24, 2019 7:11 am

look for info about WW2 wood and coal gasification for stationary and vehicle use. most returns will be about units devised in Europe.

this stuff was common and small enough to mount on the back of cars or in open trunks.

for in depth current home and farm use of mainly wood gas check out driveonwood.com

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Thu. Jan. 24, 2019 7:50 am

Back in the late 80's and early 90's I sold coal to a local pilot coal gasification plant.

From what I recall this plant burned a portion of the coal to heat the gassifier just under the ignition point of the coal and injected oxygen enriched air under pressure to extract the gas from the coal.

They basically used a low grade midling coal containing approximatly 7500 btu.

Prior to the construction of the 9 local coal refuse cogenration plants there wasn't a big demand for a 7500 btu product.

Residential coal was 12,000 btu average and the 10,000 btu fine anthracite coal was used by most of the powerplants.

12,000 btu would wholesale at around $80 per ton, 10,000 btu at $35 and 7,500 at $15

By the mid 90's the cogens heavily competed for the 7,500 btu down to 3,250 btu refuse and the gassifier shut down.

My opinion based on what I encountered is that it is not cost effective to gassify high btu anthracite ........unless technology has really advanced.

Paulie

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Thu. Jan. 24, 2019 10:18 am

Yup, the Germans got good at gasification of solid fuels due to their petroleum shortages during WW2.

By any chosen process all the byproducts must return their highest dollar or energy value back to the operation.

And there is one byproduct from larger scale that will be a hard sell and government will want to know how much was made and where was contain it at.
That byproduct is carbon dioxide...residential scale might skate by here, IDK.

Modern day large scale operations operate as Co-Generation units and produce both thermal steam and generate electricity for self consumtion and then to sell any and all surplus.

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”