Gas coming to our neighborhood

mof1964
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby

Post by mof1964 » Mon. Dec. 17, 2018 5:33 pm

Friday night when I turned onto my street there was a bunch of unmarked equipment on the street. Today when I come out of the house after coming home for lunch, I see a UGI gas truck pull up in front of the parked equipment.
I got in my car and drove over next to the guy and he rolled his window down and I asked him what's going on. He said " we are getting reading to run new gas mains" and then run down these side streets.
Well isn't that just dandy. They are going to run gas down my street. I just installed a DF520 unit 2 weeks ago. What the heck is going on. Now I'm second guessing myself for installing my DF520 unit.
I did find out that the hookup fee is approx. $4000 plus I would need to buy a gas boiler. So that could be a $10k investment - including hookup fees. That's a big chunk of money.
Anyone else have this happen?

nepacoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4 / "Kelly" and an EFM 520 at my in-laws
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-260 - retired
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by nepacoal » Mon. Dec. 17, 2018 6:38 pm

You can buy a lot of coal for $10,000...

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Mon. Dec. 17, 2018 6:46 pm

Ouch! That timing probably couldn't be worse. On the other hand, $10,000 is 9 or 10 years worth of coal for the EFM.

-Don

mof1964

Post by mof1964 » Mon. Dec. 17, 2018 7:51 pm

No kidding the timing couldn't be worse. I was super duper excited to have this fairly new DF520 unit all plumbed up and running. Now to find out about the natural gas kind of took the wind out of my sails.
My wife says she is still happy with the coal and we will still save money- and our house won't explode :)

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Dec. 17, 2018 7:56 pm

I am surprised you did not know about it. In my area it gets a lot of attention when they extend the gas piping. Sometimes they look for a minimum number of people to commit to a hookup before they will come down the road.

Regardless, you only benefit from having NG available. Gives you options, and improved resale.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Mon. Dec. 17, 2018 8:07 pm

Cheer Up! I've had Freakin' Gas for years,and not a Main in sight! Thanx,High Fiber!

mof1964

Post by mof1964 » Mon. Dec. 17, 2018 8:46 pm

I was mentioned back in June borough news letter. We have not heard anything till I found out today. Seems crazy.
Yes it gives us options for down the road.
Natural gas does scare us a bit. My wife's uncles house exploded and blew completely off the foundation into rubble years ago.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Dec. 17, 2018 9:26 pm

mof1964 wrote:
Mon. Dec. 17, 2018 8:46 pm

Natural gas does scare us a bit. My wife's uncles house exploded and blew completely off the foundation into rubble years ago.
This typically seems to be the result of aging infrastructure or work being done on or around old infrastructure. The gas finds it's way into the house or houses from the street.

Gas is obviously more convenient and roughly about the same cost as the coal in most areas. Coal doesn't really make much sense if you have gas available <gasp> other than perhaps supplementary/emergency heat with hand fired stove. It should stay relatively low but there is no guarantee for that especially if there was major disruption in the supply lines. In any event one of the bright sides is you wonl;t wake up tomorrow to find the cost of your heating fuel doubled overnight. .

mof1964

Post by mof1964 » Mon. Dec. 17, 2018 9:56 pm

We shall see if we are contacted by our local borough officials. The DF520 unit I got was I believe only 8 years old and it came with the 80 gallon marathon hot water heater and a bunch of extra parts for the coal boiler.
we only paid a fraction of the cost of what the previous owner had invested. we were all excited.
Not sure that it would make sense to remove that unit after only getting it installed 2 weeks ago. We have the oil boiler dialed in for backup and I rebuilt the pot thinking I wouldn't need to do any repairs for maybe 10 years.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Mon. Dec. 17, 2018 10:55 pm

You can but a lot of coal for $10K! Oh I think someone already said that.
Honestly if gas mains ever found there way here (which will never happen) I don't think I could give up on my EFM.
I grew up in a home headed with NG, but after being away from it for a number of years now I actually have become apprehensive, every so often I read about explosions, but that's just me.
I kinda have grown fond of that pile of coal and the boiler.

CoalisCoolxWarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: old Sears rebuilt, bituminous- offline as of winter 2014
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Buckwheat
Other Heating: Oil Boiler

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Tue. Dec. 18, 2018 7:46 am

About every 10 years it seems there is a big shift in "fuel of the day"

Oil prices drop, people buy new furnaces and change to oil. Propane drops and guess what...yep, sales of new propane furnaces jump. So on and so forth.

Unfortunately, those economies are usually sucked up by the cost of new equipment , installation, and (gasp) suddenly triple or more of fuel supply prices.

Natural gas is great for older and disabled folks- especially with high efficiency condensing boilers.

Would I consider NG if installing new? Yep, did new install for inlaws a number of years ago.

Doubt I would replace a new install that was less than 10 years installed, though.

Personally, I'd really like that FREE heating and energy that our tax monies funded (and continue to fund over and over- every time they sell same company to another buyer, including foreign companies) called solar and wind!

Enjoy your warm and comfortable coal heat and call it a day. Sounds like your wife is on board :yes:

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Dec. 18, 2018 10:40 am

mof1964 wrote:
Mon. Dec. 17, 2018 9:56 pm
We shall see if we are contacted by our local borough officials. The DF520 unit I got was I believe only 8 years old
That's not even broken in, one thing to bear in mind is that unit can run 50+ years with little maintenance especially if you run it year round. You will likely buy two gas boilers in that time span and who knows how many hot water heaters.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Tue. Dec. 18, 2018 10:42 am

Mof,now that my Sinister attempt at Gas Humor has passed... Uh-Oh- that one slipped! Now,Very Honest and Very Seriously,let the Son of a Natural Gas Man,the old East Ohio Gas Co. to be exact,share his POV with You,and Your Refreshingly Wonderful Wife!
1.) The Maximum Whopper Takeaway from this Thread is Your Mrs. Is right there with You regarding Coal! From Major Investigating,Investment and Inception,She has and is with You every step of the Way! Congratulations! You now own the World on this one! In Theory,We could halt right here and call it a day! But I digress,let's Peer Deeper into this Deal.
2.) Aww,Schucks. You left Your Jesus Sandals and Magic Wand at Home the day You made the move to 520 Land! Gee,I guess that simply left You as being the Best Man Possible when it came to Securing Your Home's Operating and Economic Circumstances! This kind of Bushwhacking Happens to Us at Various Points in Our Lives! Aww,Dammitt,You spent Good Money to Secure Your Family,Geez,You could've been like other Real Stand Up Dudes and Blown It In Vegas,or Whizzed It Away in some Dark Cross-Town Bar! But No,You chose to go to EFM Land! Shame on You for having You Fuel Supply for the Season on Your Property and under Your Control! Why I Outta..... Shame On You! But Seriously,Mof,You did very well!
3.) Going Forward,You are set with what You have,Right Now!! Live Your Life! Don't Be So Hard On Yoursel,You're Just Not Worth It!(this is where the Light comes on in Your Head,and You get Off of Your Own Back!!) Honor what's happened,and Fully Investigate this NG Tap and Line Opportunity for Your House Value. Generally,this is the time where the Tap,Lateral Supply Line and Meter Costs are Incentivised to draw in the most New Customers ASAP! If You and the Lovely One decide to move someday,or Your Butt falls off and changes Your Physicality,Well,You just don't want to be"That Guy" with no NG in a NG Area! You don't have to Pipe the House right off the bat,You just want to secure Your Access to do so At Will! If they demand a High Flow Appliance in use as part of the Install Package,then You can tell 'em to Shove It 'cause You don't do Blackmail!!
In Closing,Finally,I Hope You Give Yourself a Break! You are Still Da' Man!!

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Tue. Dec. 18, 2018 12:15 pm

I have propane and could have a gas boiler. I also have oil and I do have an oil boiler. However my house is significantly warmer when the coal boiler is use. My basement which is well insulated stays at least 74 which transmits up through the house. When I had health issues a couple years ago and had to use oil there was a major difference in comfort levels. You won’t regret the DF520 install.

mof1964

Post by mof1964 » Tue. Dec. 18, 2018 1:42 pm

Coalkirk I understand that completely. My wife and kids like the coal and the endless hot water from the coal boiler. My friend who installed everything has everything fine tuned on the oil burner for backup if need be. I have approx. 5 tons of rice coal stored and it really is not too much work to maintain. Hardest thing is that I switched to bagged coal and have most of it stored an my building at work but the boys and I can move 2 tons in an hour and have it stacked in the basement. I guess just the timing of everything is what really ticked me off.

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”