franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Wed. Oct. 17, 2018 7:23 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Wed. Oct. 17, 2018 2:50 pm
FYI, Each set of three 275 gallon tanks holds a total of exactly 800 gallons when plumbed together that way and filled until the vent whistle on the last tank starts singing.
Stops singing. Water is why tanks fail. The tanks should all be pitched toward the outlet on the bottom. Two legs should be shorter to accomplish this. Tanks should also have the outlet on the under side and not near the bottom on the side as many were.

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Mon. Oct. 22, 2018 9:53 am

Sloping the tanks would help to prevent puddling of water in the bottom but won't eliminate it. Small drops can remain behind and this is were pitting starts. I've seen Crazy4coal's examples of oil tank bottoms. The first sign is what appears to be paint flaking off the very bottom of the tank. It may well be flaking paint but it could also be pitting from inside that will soon turn show an oily stain - then you better act quickly!

This is what he said happens as best as I can recall: The older tanks were 10 gauge and the newer ones are 12 gauge. #2 Oil composition changed too with the addition of the red dye added for taxing purposes. He said there's something about the red dye reacting with water and attacking the steel. The older tank bottoms got sludged up before the dye was required and the sludge layer insulated the bottom of the tank from water.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Oct. 24, 2018 9:26 pm

franco b wrote:
Wed. Oct. 17, 2018 7:23 pm
Stops singing. Water is why tanks fail. The tanks should all be pitched toward the outlet on the bottom. Two legs should be shorter to accomplish this. Tanks should also have the outlet on the under side and not near the bottom on the side as many were.
Yes, stops singing.

I should have known better because I shortened a whistle tube once to get more oil in the tank at each delivery. Then my oil company friend warned me about how some of his delivery guys get bored and step away from the tank to look around thinking they have more time once the whistle stops, but don't get to the tank in time to shut it off. :roll:

Paul

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Thu. Oct. 25, 2018 2:47 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Wed. Oct. 24, 2018 9:26 pm
I shortened a whistle tube once to get more oil in the tank at each delivery. Then my oil company friend warned me about how some of his delivery guys get bored and step away from the tank to look around ... but don't get to the tank in time to shut it off. :roll:
And when they spill even a little, it stinks to high heaven for a week or two. Ask me how I know ... :no1:

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”