Weil McLain boiler model 62 series 2 parts

Scottsman
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer
Other Heating: Weil McLain steam oil boiler

Post by Scottsman » Sat. Sep. 15, 2018 9:56 pm

This is an long shot, but I wonder if anyone would know where I could find parts for a Weil McLain boiler model 62 series 2. According to the company they were made between 1961-1972 and mine was still running until a few days ago when it tripped the breaker and refuses to do anything but short out. I thought it was the service switch with the 15 amp fuse, so I replaced it, but still won't work. My electrician friend came over and found that the switch is fine but found that something is shorting in the low-water cutoff. But he's not a plumber, and couldn't help. So I called a furnace cleaning guy who said the same thing--it must be a problem with the switch in the low water cutoff, but I don't have experience with those. He thought that the switches inside this big triangular shaped cutoff are probably still available, and that I should call my oil man. Well, they are really expensive so if it is just a switch, I would rather just see if I can order a switch. I'm really broke now, and we've been 3 days without hot water. :cry: I just wish I had a manual for this and a parts list or place that does. The oldest manual on the Weil McLain site is for model 68 which was a few years later. But maybe someone has a manual or parts list or knows of s site that has prehistoric boiler parts?

Attachments

IMG_20170314_153515685.jpg
.JPG | 439.3KB | IMG_20170314_153515685.jpg
IMG_20170313_224702537.jpg
.JPG | 247.8KB | IMG_20170313_224702537.jpg

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sat. Sep. 15, 2018 10:11 pm

That looks like a McDonald Miller low water cutoff. If you need new, take the numbers off it and a pic. Then off to your local plumbing supply house. First, check the electric switch for proper function. If the switch makes and breaks, the float is sticking. Not uncommon, check that it operates freely, some have rollers, they get crud in them and lock up.

Scottsman
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer
Other Heating: Weil McLain steam oil boiler

Post by Scottsman » Sat. Sep. 15, 2018 10:40 pm

Will do. If it's the float sticking because of crud, is that something I could clean and get working again, or not feasible?

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sat. Sep. 15, 2018 10:50 pm

Yes. Find the model and look it up online. There is a collar on most with 6-8 screws, remove them and pull the switch/float out. It probably has a shroud around the float. Once inside, you'll figure it out. Similar to a toilet. Look around inside the housing and scrape any nodules off everything. And with any gasket that is wet on a boiler, go back and snug it a few times after its been run. If it doesn't free up and feel smooth, your off to the store.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sat. Sep. 15, 2018 10:57 pm

Scottsman wrote:
Sat. Sep. 15, 2018 9:56 pm
I'm really broke now, and we've been 3 days without hot water.
If you want hot water now...just bypass the LWCO wires by connecting straight through w/o having the troublesome "short".

This should only be used in the interim until proper "Safety's" can again be restored.

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”