Resnor Heater

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Mon. Jan. 22, 2018 8:51 pm

I realize coal is the only heating source for maximum BTUs, but sometimes we have to deviate and rely on "back-up" systems for other areas not suited to coal. ;)
Unfortunately I can't burn a solid fuel in my garage, so I have an alternate heating device, a Resnor 40K BTU ceiling mounted propane heater. It's probably about 40 yrs old, and was in the garage when I purchased the house about 30 yrs ago. It went on the blitz about 10 years ago, and today with professional help, it's up and running again. Or so I thought. This is what the unit looks like.
A problem that has plagued this unit since the beginning, is when it calls for heat, and the fuel valve opens, there's a delay, and most of the time a....(not an "explosion") but a "BOOM". Then the burners are lit, and make heat.
I had previously changed the electronic controller (Honeywell S8610U), and the fuel valve (Honeywell VR8304, with the LP conversion), to get the heater just to fire up, (which it quit doing), but now that it's running again, the booming has gotten worse.
The HAVAC tech. that troubleshot the unit for me today, checked all the pressures and said they were fine. He recommended cleaning the cast iron burners, that may be full of crud. (Boy was he right). After he left, I shut it down, pulled it apart, and this is what came out of the manifolds.
So I cleaned them all out, and re-assembled, only to have it lay dead again. No gas. (Gas at the stove, but wouldn't flow through the valve). The electronic igniter would run for 2 mins, then shut down. So I pulled the manifolds back off, looking to see what I screwed up, (didn't see anything), re-assembled, and got it to ignite again. Takes almost a full minute B4 the "BOOM", and she's lit. It has me baffled.
(I'll cont. with a few more pics in the next post)

joeq

Post by joeq » Mon. Jan. 22, 2018 8:59 pm

I don't know if running it a while will "re-seat" anything? I tried letting it run a while, then shut it off for about 2 mins., and tried starting it again. Because it was hot, it didn't start up too bad. But later I tried it when it cooled, and it "BOOMED' again. (Don't know how else to explain it.)
Hear is a few pics of the flame viewed through the pilot port.
(Not in any specific order.) Here's a photo of what the components look like.
I know we have some talented people on this site, and was wondering if anyone might have some experience or opinion on this subject. Thanks.

dbsuz05
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Burnham 23"

Post by dbsuz05 » Mon. Jan. 22, 2018 9:06 pm

Slow opening gas valve would be my only suggestion?

Olllotj
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KB-8
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat
Other Heating: Utica Propane Hot Water

Post by Olllotj » Mon. Jan. 22, 2018 9:17 pm

Pilot adjustment too low? Or not in the right spot?

Qtown1835
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker '81 KA4 (online 1/16/17)
Coal Size/Type: WAS Lehigh Rice (TBD)
Other Heating: EFM SPK600

Post by Qtown1835 » Mon. Jan. 22, 2018 9:43 pm

Olllotj wrote:
Mon. Jan. 22, 2018 9:17 pm
My oven did the same thing with a low pilot. Turned up the pilot and it was good to go. This is essentially the same thing. Or the thermocouple is fubar

joeq

Post by joeq » Mon. Jan. 22, 2018 11:29 pm

dbsuz05 wrote:
Mon. Jan. 22, 2018 9:06 pm
Slow opening gas valve would be my only suggestion?
It's on it's 2nd valve, but it is possible. Would that cause the explosion? (That's a pretty harsh term, but you know what I mean)
Olllotj wrote:
Mon. Jan. 22, 2018 9:17 pm
Qtown1835 wrote:
Mon. Jan. 22, 2018 9:43 pm

My oven did the same thing with a low pilot. Turned up the pilot and it was good to go. This is essentially the same thing. Or the thermocouple is fubar
The original manual hand fired pilot was replaced with an electronic igniter. It multi-fires for a full minute and a half, and if the fuel valve doesn't send fuel to the manifold, it shuts off, and the burners won't lite. I'll have to start the cycle all over and try again.
Not sure about the thermo-couple. When the burners are lit, and the thermostat power shuts it off, the fuel valve shuts the fuel and flame from the burners off, so does that mean the thermo-couple is working? (I've just confused myself) :?
(I say power from the thermostat, when in reality, the thermostat is temporarily bypassed, and am hot-wiring just to make it operate.) I will re-install the thermostat when I get the bugs worked out.
Thanks to all for helping.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Tue. Jan. 23, 2018 7:24 am

I think the 'boom' indicates the igniter isn't seeing enough gas close to it to fire off until too much accumulates at the far end of the burner.

I would check the holes in the burners that are close to the igniter to make sure they are clear. Then I would check if the upgraded igniter is close enough to the gas stream coming through the burner holes to set it off. Maybe there is too much clearance between the igniter and where the gas is coming through the burner holes to fire off until there is enough gas in the entire chamber to make the boom.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Tue. Jan. 23, 2018 7:48 am

You need more pilot.

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Tue. Jan. 23, 2018 12:22 pm

I think Titleist and Coaledsweat are onto something.

I am a very active member in our Lions Club here and we own our own building containing a social hall and full service kitchen. I didn’t give it a thought until reading the above posts but we do have many gas burners in our stoves, ovens and fryers and every so often we need to change those thermocouples out for new ones. I don’t know if I would go so far as to call them a wear part, but they will go bad. This is often the cheapest fix for weak pilots or no pilot at all. The whole idea is for safety the pilot must keep the thermocouple a certain temperature before it allows the appliance to light.

If there is a way to pull the burner out of it and give it a good cleaning, I would. We pull ours out and file the burner holes and blow compressed air through them. A few light taps on a block of wood won’t hurt either, just be careful with the cast iron. You would be surprised how much ash and soot can accumulate in them even though the gas burns clean.

Hillbilly
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm morning 400B.
Baseburners & Antiques: Germer Radient Home A18, Glenwood #8 Baseheater, Phillips & Clark Oakvale Andes 161.
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Stove Bituminious
Other Heating: Electric baseboard

Post by Hillbilly » Tue. Jan. 23, 2018 1:39 pm

Did the Hvac guy take a manometer and check WC. The manufacturers plate Should have it on it. Checked between gas valve and manifold. Also does it have an inducer motor venting outside? Sounds like to much gas and not enough Air . Just my 2 cents
Tony

Attachments

20180123_095008.jpg
.JPG | 66KB | 20180123_095008.jpg

dbsuz05
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Burnham 23"

Post by dbsuz05 » Tue. Jan. 23, 2018 6:11 pm

When I said a slow opening gas valve. I mean that is a type of gas valve. Vs a fast opening gas valve. Make sense? A slow opening one would allow the igniter to start lighting while letting out a small amount of gas. Instead of one big woosh of gas. Read ur serial number and find out if it’s a slow or fast one.

joeq

Post by joeq » Tue. Jan. 23, 2018 7:05 pm

OK men, sorry for the delay, but I've been out examining what everyone has been offering. And I believe, (altho maybe premature), that victory is ours. I was a little puzzled by the action of the pilot, with the new electronic igniter system, but ended up pulling it out, and inspecting it. I was hoping that a pile of rusty crap would pour out of it, as was the case with the manifolds. But it wasn't to be. It appeared "visually" clean. This is what the mechanism looks like.
Inside the supply tube passageway, there's a calibrated oriface, and I blew compressed air through it, and the entire assy. Didn't witness any debris, but figured t couldn't hurt. Couldn't see anything else abnormal, so I just re-installed it, and gave it a try.
You'll have to visualize the attitude of those who have experienced these boomers, when it lites off, and how we all head for the hills once we send power to the igniter. I try and find a pole the farthest away from the stove to hide behind, cover my ears with my hands, and listen as the igniter is sparking. When the fuel valve opens I cringe, and wait for the explosion. Most of the time, it was all warranted. This time, it was "click", and 2 seconds later, an extremely pleasing "whooosh". Talk about music to my ears.
Here's a comparison of what the weak pilot flame looked like B4.
And now it's a clean, healthy and blue flame. (Below)
Ain't it a thing of beauty? I couldn't have done it without you guys. I can't explain the appreciation I have for all who participated. I need to put the word out, in a lobby thread. Thanks so much people.

Qtown1835
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker '81 KA4 (online 1/16/17)
Coal Size/Type: WAS Lehigh Rice (TBD)
Other Heating: EFM SPK600

Post by Qtown1835 » Tue. Jan. 23, 2018 7:35 pm

Cool. Glad you got it working.

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Tue. Jan. 23, 2018 8:23 pm

That’s awesome! :yes:

I think even the smallest piece of something-that-is-not-supposed-to-be in there will really screw up the gas flow.

It made me laugh, your comment about running for the hills waiting for the boom. It seems no matter how much time I spend around gas appliances I can never bring myself to be completely comfortable with them.... I’ve had a few of those BOOM experiences too! :roll:

joeq

Post by joeq » Tue. Jan. 23, 2018 10:36 pm

There must be a more "technical or professional" description of that event. What would a serviceman call it?

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”