Locke Stove Company Warm Morning Model 120

Remarefka
Other Heating: Locke Stove Company Warm Morning Stove #120

Post by Remarefka » Wed. Dec. 06, 2017 2:35 pm

Hello all,

I just purchased a hunting cabin with 17.8 acres of woodland in Vermont. The cabin came with a Locke Warm Morning model 120 stove. The stove uses wood as its fuel source. This is my first experience with using a wood burning stove to heat a home. I am interested in hearing your advice on the Warm Morning stove.

If I am using nomenclature that is incorrect, please feel free to correct me. The stove pipe has two dampers, I don't know why it has this arrangement. Additionally, the stove pipe bends and angles are not appropriate. Come spring I want to relocate the stove and chimney to reduce the stove pipe angles and horizontal sections. The heat shields on the wall and floor will be replaced in the spring. I need to make it through this winter and thrive next winter by reconfiguring the stove, pipework and heat shields.

Here are my challenges with the stove:
  • How much wood should I charge the stove with? Should I fill the entire compartment with wood or fill it partially?
  • The hot coals from the wood fall through the grating and end up filling the ash box. Is this normal? When I place more wood in the stove, I sometimes need to rekindle it because the coals are in the ash box.
  • Any suggestions on how much I need to keep the draft open? I am calling the draft the small door in the door that leads to the ash box.
  • The shaker fell out of the stove when I was emptying the ash bin. I cannot seem to get it to stay in the brackets under the grating. Any suggestions on what seems to be the problem? Currently I have the shake sitting on top of the grating to prevent all the coals from falling into the ash pan.
  • Does anyone has an owner's manual I could read?
Thank you for any support you can give me.

Bob "Vermont Noob" M.

Attachments

IMG_8060.JPG
.JPG | 283.7KB | IMG_8060.JPG
IMG_8066.JPG
.JPG | 365.4KB | IMG_8066.JPG

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Wed. Dec. 06, 2017 3:20 pm

Heat shield is kind of ugly, ;) but I see nothing particularly wrong with the stove pipe. It appears to slope up all the way, which is good. You could be getting lots of heat off that long pipe, that otherwise would go up the chimney. As long as you have adequate draft, long is OK.

Floor protection is much too small an area.

Is there an air gap between the heat shield and the wall? If not, the wall may still be getting plenty hot. You could cover the metal shield with shiny aluminum foil and get about 98% efficient reflection of the radiant heat coming off the stove. Wouldn't look any worse (and don't think I'm making fun of you, my heat shield is shiny foil and doesn't look much better :lol: ).

Looks like a coal stove, and since this is a coal forum let me be the first to say, burn coal in it and not wood. If you must burn wood, can you put some sort of hardware cloth screening over the grates to let the fine ash fall through but keep the coals in? Also since the primary air supply is under the grates (through the ash pit door), make sure any screening lets plenty of air come up through.
Last edited by rberq on Wed. Dec. 06, 2017 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Dec. 06, 2017 3:38 pm

R, can ya post some pix of the innards. With those 2 MPD's I'd suspect you're not hurtin for draw! LOL I would clean/brush the pipes if any doubt no-one's done it lately. Is there any type of shaker handle for the grates. Pix of them would be real helpful--Looks like ya got a nice deal with the whole shootin match.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Wed. Dec. 06, 2017 4:02 pm

If you are planning to burn wood...you came to the wrong place. Most of us burn coal & while it is true that most of us burned wood in our past , we have forgotten everything about burning wood except all the hard work associated with burning wood. :baby:

Seems as tho you wood find better help burning wood if you wood seek help from the folks on a wood burning forum. :)

Remarefka

Post by Remarefka » Wed. Dec. 06, 2017 4:50 pm

Thank you for the information, I appreciate the response. Pardon for high jacking the forum for my nefarious wood burning ways, but this forum is the only one that mentioned the Warm Morning 120.

Floor protection is much too small an area. I agree with your assessment and will be changing it out this spring.

Is there an air gap between the heat shield and the wall? Behind the heat shield on the wall is a insulating board.

You could cover the metal shield with shiny aluminum foil and get about 98% efficient reflection of the radiant heat coming off the stove. Excellent idea, I believe in function over form.

If you must burn wood, can you put some sort of hardware cloth screening over the grates to let the fine ash fall through but keep the coals in? Also since the primary air supply is under the grates (through the ash pit door), make sure any screening lets plenty of air come up through. Excellent idea, I'll try that out.

R, can ya post some pix of the innards. With those 2 MPD's I'd suspect you're not hurtin for draw! LOL I would clean/brush the pipes if any doubt no-one's done it lately. The entire system needs to be cleaned, from ash box to chimney.

Is there any type of shaker handle for the grates. Pix of them would be real helpful--Looks like ya got a nice deal with the whole shootin match. Thanks I love the look of the stove, its a beautiful piece. In the summer I want to repaint the stove.

ASea
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120
Coal Size/Type: Sherman Anthracite Nut/Stove from C&T Coal
Other Heating: Peerless Boiler with Cast Iron Baseboards

Post by ASea » Wed. Dec. 06, 2017 6:55 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Wed. Dec. 06, 2017 3:38 pm
R, can ya post some pix of the innards. With those 2 MPD's I'd suspect you're not hurtin for draw! LOL I would clean/brush the pipes if any doubt no-one's done it lately. Is there any type of shaker handle for the grates. Pix of them would be real helpful--Looks like ya got a nice deal with the whole shootin match.
Fred I just picked up a WM 120 and have posted pics in hand fired stoves.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Dec. 06, 2017 7:35 pm

A, I want people to see his grates & inner workins. Much easier to make suggestions, but thanx for the come back.

ASea
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120

Post by ASea » Wed. Dec. 06, 2017 7:49 pm

These should be the same.

Coal Stove 5.jpg
.JPG | 322.8KB | Coal Stove 5.jpg
Coal Stove 2.jpg
.JPG | 345.8KB | Coal Stove 2.jpg
Coal Stove 3.jpg
.JPG | 295.6KB | Coal Stove 3.jpg

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Wed. Dec. 06, 2017 8:13 pm

I see long horizontal lines - there are limits however....

https://inspectapedia.com/chimneys/Chimney_Flue_S ... 9C.php#C9B

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Wed. Dec. 06, 2017 8:23 pm

ASea wrote:
Wed. Dec. 06, 2017 7:49 pm
These should be the same.

Coal Stove 5.jpgCoal Stove 2.jpgCoal Stove 3.jpg
The idea is for the OP to post pics of their stove ,grates,innards ,etc.

Your stove & grates & innards look to be in very good condition...but that doesn't tell us what the other stove is like.

ASea

Post by ASea » Wed. Dec. 06, 2017 8:52 pm

I understand that. I'm still super psyched about getting mine and in the meantime everyone gets an idea what the grates are like.

ASea

Post by ASea » Wed. Dec. 06, 2017 8:58 pm

Remarefka wrote:
Wed. Dec. 06, 2017 2:35 pm
Hello all,

I just purchased a hunting cabin with 17.8 acres of woodland in Vermont. The cabin came with a Locke Warm Morning model 120 stove. The stove uses wood as its fuel source. This is my first experience with using a wood burning stove to heat a home. I am interested in hearing your advice on the Warm Morning stove.

Thank you for any support you can give me.

Bob "Vermont Noob" M.
Bob where in VT are you? I'm a Paramedic at Rescue Inc in Brattleboro. I just picked up the same exact stove. It might be worth it to try some coal. I find I get much more control and slow steady heat with coal. It's great especially if you need a good long burn,and no creosote. I'm told these stoves can burn two days on a load of coal. I've also been told they burn wood efficiently as well. Enjoy the stove and the cabin and happy hunting!

Remarefka

Post by Remarefka » Wed. Dec. 06, 2017 9:02 pm

My internal arrangement looks exactly the same.

What holds the shaker in place?

Asea, I am the Reactor Services Manager at Rolls-Royce in Brattleboro, VT. I’ll be living in the cabin four or five days a week. I would Enoy meeting you to discuss your heating solution.

ASea

Post by ASea » Wed. Dec. 06, 2017 9:08 pm

Remarefka wrote:
Wed. Dec. 06, 2017 9:02 pm
My internal arrangement looks exactly the same.

What holds the shaker in place?

Asea, I am the Reactor Services Manager at Rolls-Royce in Brattleboro, VT. I’ll be living in the cabin four or five days a week. I would Enjoy meeting you to discuss your heating solution.
I live in Athol MA. Im per diem in Brattleboro. However if you post pics I might be able to help. I'm hoping to get a hold of a manual myself. If that is your sole source of heat I imagine you will be jumping on the Coal train soon. The shaker grate should slide in and out. The shaker handle should be removable. New grates are available if you find yourself needing one. There is allot of experience on this forum. Some of these guys are very knowledgeable.

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Wed. Dec. 06, 2017 9:09 pm

ASea wrote:
Wed. Dec. 06, 2017 8:52 pm
I understand that. I'm still super psyched about getting mine and in the meantime everyone gets an idea what the grates are like.
The OP has issues with his grates, that is why the request was made for him to post pics.

Pics of your new looking grates doesn't help figure his problem. :)
There is a possibility that your pics may help the OP to figure what,when,where,why & how on his grates.

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”