Locke Stove Company Warm Morning Model 120

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Dec. 06, 2017 9:12 pm

What do ya mean HIS heating solution R?? You're gonna be talkin about yours too!!! .>)

Remarefka
Other Heating: Locke Stove Company Warm Morning Stove #120

Post by Remarefka » Wed. Dec. 06, 2017 9:28 pm

At this time the stove is my sole source of heat. I need To find a fire wood or coal supply. Winter is coming and i am In for a cold one.

In two weeks I’m back in the cabin. I’ll post some pics then.

I appreciate the help.

ASea
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120
Coal Size/Type: Sherman Anthracite Nut/Stove from C&T Coal
Other Heating: Peerless Boiler with Cast Iron Baseboards

Post by ASea » Wed. Dec. 06, 2017 9:52 pm

https://achilleagway.com/ this is the link to Agway in Brattleboro Vermont. They sell Coal https://achilleagway.com/catalog/search?q=Coal+ and I imagine will have wood as well. The locals up there are super friendly and you might do better to buy seasoned cordwood from a local farmer.

Also there is a tractor supply across the river in Hinsdale NH. They should carry coal as well.

Feel free to PM me.

ASea
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120

Post by ASea » Wed. Dec. 06, 2017 9:58 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Wed. Dec. 06, 2017 9:12 pm
What do ya mean HIS heating solution R?? You're gonna be talkin about yours too!!! .>)
I've been burning the Chubby in my profile pic for two years with pretty decent success. I bought this new stove to heat the house from the basement. Especially in the event of a power loss. I cant wait to hook it up and fire it up!

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Sat. Dec. 09, 2017 10:43 am

i'll be right back

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Sat. Dec. 09, 2017 10:59 am

ASea wrote:
Wed. Dec. 06, 2017 9:52 pm
The locals up there are super friendly and you might do better to buy seasoned cordwood from a local farmer.
Yes, but beware that term "seasoned". It can mean the wood has been drying for anywhere from two weeks to two years, and it's far more likely to be "weeks". My neighbor still burns wood in spite of my valuable counsel about coal ;) , and he pays extra to get kiln-dried wood because it burns vastly better.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about

Post by KingCoal » Sat. Dec. 09, 2017 11:09 am

ok, here are some pics of the grate set in your stove i'm sure you'll recognize them.

many times when these stoves have a history of wood use the grates are beat up pretty bad because people opened the load door and simply dropped a 9" by 20" limb or split in and just let it hit the glowing grates and busted them.

you won't find any of the outer support rings except in other parts stoves, if you have a good or reparable one they can be recast.

the round shaker grate and the draw center fork are available from at least 2 sources and not considered expensive as things go.
IMG_2031.gif

complete set seperated for clarity

.GIF | 427.9KB | IMG_2031.gif
IMG_2032.gif

center in support

.GIF | 450.5KB | IMG_2032.gif
IMG_2033.gif

draw center open, you should never need to do this if you are burning wood or even shake the grates for that matter. if your hot coals are in the ash pan you are waiting too long to refuel.

.GIF | 444.9KB | IMG_2033.gif
IMG_2037.gif

this is the under side of the round shaken grate and the draw center. there is supposed to be a "lug" on the round grate to locate the draw center to make the round grate move. the draw center has a groove in the handle to match this but it needs a cotter pin, large nail or similar to hold the draw center handle up on the "lug"

.GIF | 314KB | IMG_2037.gif
all these pieces may or may not be present or in good working condition but hopefully you can get the idea of how things "should " be.

steve

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Sat. Dec. 09, 2017 11:22 am

if you have a pin or nail, whatever in the "lug" and the handle and or fork is still falling down onto the ash pile you may have damage to or missing landings that the fork rides on,
IMG_2039.gif

as seen here

.GIF | 418.4KB | IMG_2039.gif

ASea

Post by ASea » Sat. Dec. 09, 2017 11:27 am

If you are going to burn wood you may just want to place a round piece of steel in the bottom of the stove. Along the lines of what came with the Glenwood stoves

ASea

Post by ASea » Sat. Dec. 09, 2017 11:32 am

But I maintain if your grates are in ok shape and you throw a bag or two of coal in the stove. You will realize the stove will be burning when you get back from work on a cold winter night.

I have it on good authority this stove is capable of burning two or three days on a 100lb load of coal.

Remarefka
Other Heating: Locke Stove Company Warm Morning Stove #120

Post by Remarefka » Sat. Dec. 09, 2017 11:58 am

The landings are bent outward. They barely hold the ahaker in place. I probab Need a new grate or bend the landing back in place.

Thank you for all the great information.

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Sat. Dec. 09, 2017 12:18 pm

OK, well you have options.

you can remove the draw center from the round grate and take it out the ash door by tilting the back of the round grate up slightly, you may have to pull the side chimney bricks up about an inch to do this, in any case, you probably will need to to then be able to bring the round grate on up ( raising the back edge ) into the center of the stove.

from there just lift the round grate up and out the load door.

now you can take the grate and center to a blacksmith or other smart fabricator who understands cast iron and have the lands straightened or, buy a new round grate and or fork too and go from there.

i'm about to leave the house for the day and hope that one of the others who know will post up the links to new parts. if not i will when i get back this evening.

ASea

Post by ASea » Sat. Dec. 09, 2017 1:49 pm

ASea

Post by ASea » Sat. Dec. 09, 2017 1:53 pm

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Sat. Dec. 09, 2017 6:54 pm

while i was out the thought came to me that the guide / lands might be splayed because the center circle of your round grate is excessively "sunken" from over heating and weight abuse that as it caved in the lands followed the path and turned out from under the draw center fork.

we really need pics of your grates out of the stove. don't bother with the outer support ring, you can't get it out without taking the top of the stove off and all the bricks out.

thanks Asea for the back up on the links.

steve

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”