It was an All-Day Stove Day (II)

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Sat. Sep. 02, 2017 8:04 pm

Today we were given a Woods and Bishop pot bellied stove, but sadly it had some problems. One problem was two broken legs. Where we live there is a well know stove shop that has had parts for the last 100 years, so off we went to Bryant's Stove Shop. We were successful to say the least in that adventure, but while we were there...and for anyone that likes stoves, I urge you to go because every square foot will make you drool, we spotted a 1917 Crawford gas cook stove.

For years Katie has always wanted a kitchen cook stove, but one that burned wood or coal. BUT those beasts are huge and the only spot for it was in our living room, and putting a kitchen stove in a living room is...well...odd. This one was just wide enough to fit into the space previously occupied by her propane stove and could be hooked right up. Black and white, it matches her 1930's era kitchen perfectly!

It does have a few drawbacks as it is fairly old. Because it is crammed into a nook in the counters and lacks insulation, we will never use the oven as it would get hot, but the cook top will be fine, not to mention nice and big for canning of food. It is also shorter than our standard height counters, but still looks good. Overall Katie got the stove that matches her kitchen perfectly and is happy, which is nice. The owners were VERY reasonable on this and we are delighted, so the second half of our stove day went as well as our first half.

What a great day!
DSCN5229.JPG
.JPG | 108.8KB | DSCN5229.JPG

NoSmoke
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Mon. Sep. 04, 2017 7:18 pm

I got this stove hooked up to the main propane tank today. It was a little lack-luster on burner output though. I adjusted it all the way up and still did not get much out of it. I then took a drill and bored out the jets (orifices) on the stove burners and that helped quite a bit. We should be able to boil some water on this old gal now.

While I was at it I adjusted the broiler and Oven Valves so they are inoperable. Katie and I talked and I think we are just going to buy a wall mounted oven for the few times we do need an oven. That way she can get rid of her other kitchen stove altogether. (It is on the other side of the kitchen now).
DSCN5254.JPG
.JPG | 131.8KB | DSCN5254.JPG

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Tue. Sep. 05, 2017 11:42 pm

Stove *censored*? Needs to be in flame suit central?

LOL

NoSmoke

Post by NoSmoke » Wed. Sep. 06, 2017 6:32 am

Yeah I am not sure if wearing a silk dress from the 1930's while sitting atop of a propane Crawford Four Burner is exactly a "flame proof suit" that is for sure. The dress is not all that flattering either, but then again she does not exactly have a lot of 1930's outfits in her closet either! :-)

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”