PA. Heating Oil Sulphur Content

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: small New Yorker oil fired boiler; mostly used for domestic HW

Post by hank2 » Wed. Apr. 19, 2017 12:49 am

I thought I'd ask if there's anyone who knows what the current heating oil Sulphur levels are in Pa. consumer #2 heating oil.

I did some digging around on the web and found that the PA. limit dropped to 500 ppm on Jul 1, 2016. It had been 2000 to 5000 ppm, depending on the area of the state. I know that NY and some other states are already requiring ULS heating oil at under 15 ppm. I'm guessing that 500 ppm oil may be enough to keep microbial growth at bay? If we are even getting that level.

My main concern, in Pa., is that the same fuel sold as diesel fuel ( ULSD) is being passed on to heating oil customers anyhow. I know that my heating oil dealer also handles gasoline and on and off road diesel. As do a couple of other dealers that I can think of. I also read that the Sunoco refinery in SE Pa. only makes ULSD now. Sunoco is the supplier for most of the gasoline and diesel stations around here, regardless of brand.

Do any forum members in Pa., work in the heating oil business and can tell us? Most of my home heating comes from a hand fired coal stove, but I burn ( too much) heating oil year-round for DHW and a little heating in the shoulder months. I'm going to start using Biobor JF. I started using some anti-gel stuff last year. I have an outdoor tank, about 14 years old. I had never added anything but 15 or 20 gals of kerosene in the Fall.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Apr. 19, 2017 10:19 am

It is likely all ULSD. Use a biocide. Power Service makes one that is available at WalMart and TSC.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Apr. 19, 2017 11:55 am

Can't get into all the didactic crap, but on the rarity I top my outside tank, a local fuel co. offers a 50/50 kero/ fuel oil mix which I use. I spent way to many winter mornings outside with a bernzomatic torch thawing the straight fuel oil line way back when.

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve

Post by hank2 » Wed. Apr. 19, 2017 12:32 pm

Yeah, I guess using a biocide will be the safest thing.

I've only had my line freeze up about twice, but no fun. The run from the tank to the wall is pretty short and I was able to put a small electric heater on it from inside. Adding whatever level of kerosene sure helps. Last year I finally put some pipe insulation on the outside part. No trouble, but we didn't see anything last Winter below 10 degrees.

David...
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks 80k output
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507B

Post by David... » Wed. Apr. 19, 2017 1:59 pm

Are you having trouble with your fuel now? If not why treat it?
Fuel in outside tanks should be treated with a pour point depressant. It is cheaper than a mix with kerosene and easier. We have been doing it in the colder months with success.

David

hank2

Post by hank2 » Wed. Apr. 19, 2017 7:13 pm

No particular trouble, yet. I just got a 32 oz. bottle of Biobor JF , which will treat something like 2500 gal. Reports of corrosion damage of steel oil and diesel tanks from using ULS fuel is widespread. A couple of years ago I had a pump failure on my oil boiler. It may or may not have been due to the lack of lubricity in low or ultra low Sulphur heating oil. I mostly would like to find out what is being sold as #2 oil in Pa., now. The Pa. legal limit is 500 ppm , but that may not even be in production. The heavy oils, #4 and up have high Sulphur numbers. Maritime bunker oil and power generation, I suppose.

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”