Energy Max 160, Big Enough?

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sat. Dec. 24, 2016 11:45 am

A typical double dead end boiler will throw a lot of heat into the room. If the firebox is totally surrounded by water like an Axeman, they don't give up a lot of heat.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sat. Dec. 24, 2016 11:46 am

The stove you are considering is larger than most others out there. It may heat an entire house if you can get the heat distributed properly. It should heat a basement without much effort.

You can try my worlds smallest and easiest heat loss calculator, but it comes with no warranty or guarantee: The Worlds Tiniest/Easiest Residential Heat Loss Calculator?
Last edited by lsayre on Sat. Dec. 24, 2016 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Sat. Dec. 24, 2016 11:48 am

The DS boiler will radiate heat, but enough to heat a basement that large.....I dunno. You may need extra zones in your system to add heat to the basement..

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Sat. Dec. 24, 2016 1:13 pm

Heating Degree Days (HDD's) Database:
https://www.huduser.gov/resources/utilitymodel/hdd.htmlis

Example:
For your upstairs living areas combined 2,700 sq-ft, and if your annual HDD's are 6,500 (as mine are), then:

0.004 x 6,500 x 2,700 = 70,200 BTUH output should be sufficient to heat the entire home on the coldest anticipated single day of the year.

You do not factor the basement into this, as it is already included within the 0.004 factor.

ultimatespine

Post by ultimatespine » Sat. Dec. 24, 2016 1:50 pm

coaledsweat wrote:A typical double dead end boiler will throw a lot of heat into the room. If the firebox is totally surrounded by water like an Axeman, they don't give up a lot of heat.
What's a double dead end boiler? Sorry I'm a noob when it comes to wood/coal boilers. My only previous exp with wood is a small insert in my last house.

ultimatespine

Post by ultimatespine » Sat. Dec. 24, 2016 1:59 pm

lsayre wrote:Heating Degree Days (HDD's) Database:

Example:
For your upstairs living areas combined 2,700 sq-ft, and if your annual HDD's are 6,500 (as mine are), then:

0.004 x 6,500 x 2,700 = 70,200 BTUH output should be sufficient to heat the entire home on the coldest anticipated single day of the year.

You do not factor the basement into this, as it is already included within the 0.004 factor.
My current oil boiler is rated at 156k btu.
How do you figure out HDD? I'm in MA so i'm guessing it's close to yours. With that said, do you think the 160 is enough for the basement and upstairs?

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sat. Dec. 24, 2016 3:50 pm

How many times will you be tending the DS when you are to be feeding 792 lbs. in 24 hours?
lsayre wrote: To put it into perspective, to achieve 160,000 BTUH input (BTU's per hour of input) would require burning about 33 pounds of seasoned hardwood wood per hour, or 13 pounds of anthracite coal per hour. And to sustain that for a single day would require the burning of 792 lbs. of wood or 312 lbs. of coal.

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Sat. Dec. 24, 2016 7:57 pm

ultimatespine wrote:
lsayre wrote:Heating Degree Days (HDD's) Database:

How do you figure out HDD? I'm in MA so i'm guessing it's close to yours. With that said, do you think the 160 is enough for the basement and upstairs?
See web link above.

bcdex
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: DS 100 Coal/Wood bolier

Post by bcdex » Sat. Dec. 24, 2016 8:18 pm

My DS 1100 heats our house. Check it twice a day. I put half a bag of coal in in the morning the other half when we go to bed.

Attachments

IMG_20151017_133820427_zpsljjoa1ig.jpg
.JPG | 74.1KB | IMG_20151017_133820427_zpsljjoa1ig.jpg

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Sat. Dec. 24, 2016 8:58 pm

ultimatespine wrote:My current oil boiler is rated at 156k btu.
It is likely significantly (and unnecessarily) oversized. That seems to be the norm. Plus be aware that 156K is the input BTUH rating. Sans for cost concerns, the only thing that matters to you is the output BTUH.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Dec. 25, 2016 8:11 am

Here is an interesting article about running a stove in an uninsulated basement. Basically, you will be cutting and burning a lot of wood just to keep the soil around the foundation warm.

Basement Heatloss_1MillionBTUsperDay_Excerpt.pdf
ultimatespine wrote:Thank you and Merry Christmas. Any quick way to calculate heat loss? What about those ds wood/coal boilers? I would really like the option of wood because of the supply. I was hoping to avoid plumbing and hoping a big free standing stove would distribute heat evenly since it's one level above an open basement. But you guys are making think twice about it.
Yes, Slant Fin offers a program called Hydronic Explorer that makes the heat loss calculation pretty easy. You can find it here: http://www.slantfin.com/slantfin-heat-loss-calculator/

The DS Wood/coal boilers have considerable problems with creosote when burning wood most of the time. It seems like most people do pretty well with them when burning just coal, but that kind of goes against your plan.

I am going to point you to a thread from several years ago that I hope will help you make a decision.

Stoves or Central Heat? Boilers Vs. Furnaces

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Thu. Dec. 29, 2016 7:11 am

Any updates here?

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Thu. Dec. 29, 2016 9:12 am

He hasn't been on since Christmas Eve..... We've All seen this before : A quick burst of data exchange.....a fixation over "Free Wood"....a change in direction toward a common sense coal boiler add-on coupled with the ever dangerous "Free Wood" fantasy destruction and POOF !! :blowup: Incommunicado ! Let's hope the Poor Guy comes through the "Discernment Period" of what You Good,Caring and Christmas Posting Guys were trying to help him with and joins Us on the Dark Side-Coal !! Yay ! :flex: :up:

ultimatespine

Post by ultimatespine » Wed. Jan. 04, 2017 5:36 pm

Haven't completely disappeared. Still brainstorming here and there. Had a chimney guy come to the house today and suggested I go with an insert in my see through fireplace which would heat the space we spend most of the time in, but would require fans to help circulate the heat to the other part of the house. Not crazy about this idea especially since i'll be losing the concept of a see through fireplace.

I may be leaning more towards a wood/coal boiler tied into my oil boiler. I don't know why some of you are strongly against multi fuel systems. Maybe they are not as efficient as coal only boilers, but is taking a slight hit in efficiency for the flexibility of multi fuel that bad of a decision?

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Wed. Jan. 04, 2017 5:57 pm

ultimatespine wrote: I may be leaning more towards a wood/coal boiler tied into my oil boiler. I don't know why some of you are strongly against multi fuel systems. Maybe they are not as efficient as coal only boilers, but is taking a slight hit in efficiency for the flexibility of multi fuel that bad of a decision?
You already own an oil boiler. Why spend the extra money to buy a dual fuel and give up the efficiency? Plus, with your oil and another coal burner, you have 100% backup. You don't get that with a dual fuel device.

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”