Home Heating Oil PSA

qbwebb

Post by qbwebb » Tue. Dec. 20, 2016 2:08 pm

I have been a forum member for about 7 years and took a job in the fueling industry 18 months ago and have been hearing horror stories of accelerated corrosion of steel parts in diesel tanks due to microbial growth from the introduction of ULDS (ultra low sulfur diesel). In the past the sulfur in the diesel killed the microbes that produce acetic acid which corrodes carbon steel. If your really interested more reading can be had here.

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2016-07/documents/diesel-corrosion-report_0.pdf

I now have seen "environmental friendly" home heating oil blends with the max allowed (5%) Bio-diesel content that are ultra low sulfur advertised. I'd beware of this product especially as bio-diesel contains more food for the microbes (fatty acids/esters) and remember the steel HHO tank is like a fermentation vat if the fuel is going long periods of time without getting consumed like most of us coal burners. We all should be putting biocide in our HHO tank anyways, but with ULSD containing Bio the problem can be much worse. I will certainly be asking my supplier if it's ULSD before I order another fill (I use primarily for my tractor).

johnjoseph
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Other Heating: pellet stove, oil boiler

Post by johnjoseph » Tue. Dec. 20, 2016 2:32 pm

What would you suggest for biocide use in home heating oil and diesel farm tractor? This is what my google search came up with.

https://www.google.com/search?rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-US%3AIE ... l&tbm=shop

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Tue. Dec. 20, 2016 3:08 pm

From what I understand Biobor is the best.

http://www.biobor.com/approvals/approvals-and-certifications/

johnjoseph

Post by johnjoseph » Tue. Dec. 20, 2016 3:23 pm

grumpy wrote:From what I understand Biobor is the best.

http://www.biobor.com/approvals/approvals-and-certifications/
Can it be utilized in both my tractor and heating oil tank?

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Tue. Dec. 20, 2016 3:34 pm

and once it gels save time and just go out and buy a coal stove. Ungelling can be a betich as it is not just a question of rewarming to gel point. Here is the news - it aint worth it. It is like buying questionable coal. 100% USLD and Hot +4 if it's for heat and a good antigel (there are quite a few) for the tractor. If you are in JJ land and you gel solid then it's ..

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/d4/f7/aa/d4f7aa62882eeda34865eb5b1bce8fc1.jpg

johnjoseph

Post by johnjoseph » Tue. Dec. 20, 2016 3:43 pm

Already use anti gel agent in the tractor...was asking about the biocide for the purposes mentioned the original post...I also have a coal boiler, but I have a oil boiler as well.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Dec. 20, 2016 3:49 pm

JJ, Power Service makes a biocide called Clear-Diesel that you can get at most farm stores or truck stops.

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Tue. Dec. 20, 2016 5:11 pm

I have a friend from church who is in the industry and said that Home Heating oil is around 1000 ppm sulfur, where as off-road diesel is 500 ppm. I am not sure if that is true though, or at least now.

Right or wrong, I am assuming mostly wrong because I seem to gravitate towards that...I use home heating oil in my tractor. I am not so concerned about that as it is a 1999 tractor, but my 1988 bulldozer, which consumes a lot more fuel, is designed for a higher sulfur content due to its age. I was told to dump a 2 oz bottle of 2 stroke oil (think chainsaw gas mix here) into the fuel tank for proper lubrication inside the injection pump and other parts.

I have not done that as owning a bulldozer is expensive enough, but does any of these wives-tales make sense?

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Tue. Dec. 20, 2016 5:15 pm

A lot of people add TCW3 oil to the diesel, it helps lub so they say..

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Dec. 20, 2016 7:39 pm

grumpy wrote:A lot of people add TCW3 oil to the diesel, it helps lub so they say..
You would be much better off using a real diesel treatment. TCW3 does have lubrication benefits, but not any more than a good fuel treatment, which also has the benefit of detergency, anti-corrision, and sometimes a small cetane boost. Power Service "white bottle" is one of the most common, and easy to find.

My brother recently got some diesel treatment from me and gave his dozer a "hot dose" to prevent fuel gelling problems in the cold weather. He added the treatment, filled the tank, and used the dozer all day - the next morning when he started the engine it blew chunks of carbon all over the hood, almost like coal dust.

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Tue. Dec. 20, 2016 7:57 pm

I use Biobor, the best thing to do to clean out a diesel is to run it hard. When I used to put a load bank on my generator and run it to full capacity it would blow out black popcorn. Its good to do to counter the effect of wet stacking..

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Dec. 20, 2016 8:02 pm

grumpy wrote:I use Biobor, the best thing to do to clean out a diesel is to run it hard. When I used to put a load bank on my generator and run it to full capacity it would blow out black popcorn. Its good to do to counter the effect of wet stacking..
Agreed. That is a big problem with many diesel generators.

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”