Issues with Corn-Trol TS2C

sdimmick
Other Heating: Corn furnace

Post by sdimmick » Sat. Nov. 26, 2016 2:40 pm

I have a coaltrol TS2C thermostat for corn. The burn pot doesnt seem to burn my corn as it should. Overtime, it fills with corn and causes the fire to smother. I have the draft fan open quite a bit, figuring more air, burn better, but it doesnt seem to help. Some days its fine. Maybe there is a setting I have wrong on the thermostat? ,min 12 and max 25 feed rate. Any help would be appreciated. New here too, excited to get this figured out.

olpanrider

Post by olpanrider » Sat. Nov. 26, 2016 3:07 pm

Moisture content of the corn may be to high. Sell it get a coal burner you wouldn't have that problem.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sat. Nov. 26, 2016 3:59 pm

Now now guys. There are lots of people that burn corn and its a heck of a lot better than pellets. Probably cheaper than coal right now if its your own corn, not sure of the comparison if you have to buy it.

Wish I could help you with your problem but I cant.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Sat. Nov. 26, 2016 4:09 pm

First, Welcome.

Is it a new thermostat for your corn burner? many of us use the coaltrol for our stoves.

have you had it working before? If so, something might need cleaning, combustion blower, holes, draft, etc... or a gasket leaking somewhere. maybe some adjustments to feed rate are required.

hard to say, since most of us on here are coal burners. but should be a similar concept and same things typically need checked on ours when something isn't burning properly.

Like they said, maybe try different corn or something.

RSorjanen
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby,Warm Morning 617A/Warm Morning 523
Baseburners & Antiques: Empress Atlantic
Coal Size/Type: nut, pea

Post by RSorjanen » Sat. Nov. 26, 2016 6:23 pm

this may sound dumb but maybe too much air. I have burned corn in a corn stove and if I gave it too much air would go out. and the corn's moisture content maybe too high. another thing mix some wood pellets in with the corn and see what that does.
been there and done that..........then smartened up and went to coal
Bob

sdimmick

Post by sdimmick » Sun. Nov. 27, 2016 3:57 am

Thanks for the replies guys. Did it again last night, it will burn for hours really good, then nothing. I will try the draft, don't think its ths corn, been using this supplier for two years no problems. I think there is plenty of draft so not sure what to clean out there. I use the corn because its easy to use in my situation, wife can do it too.

sdimmick

Post by sdimmick » Sun. Nov. 27, 2016 4:02 am

Oh and its an older stat, worked excellent last year.

sdimmick

Post by sdimmick » Sun. Nov. 27, 2016 10:10 am

Not too familiar with this thing much as I bought it used and the instructions arent very user friendly or im missing some of them. But when on test, aux2, auger, combustion, aux, and igniter all blink red status. It cant be as simple as a fuse can it? Works now with the fuse in the control module, so I assume no.

RSorjanen

Post by RSorjanen » Sun. Nov. 27, 2016 10:59 am

sdimmick wrote:Not too familiar with this thing much as I bought it used and the instructions arent very user friendly or im missing some of them. But when on test, aux2, auger, combustion, aux, and igniter all blink red status. It cant be as simple as a fuse can it? Works now with the fuse in the control module, so I assume no.
what make of stove? model numbers? and did it work before this
Bob

sdimmick

Post by sdimmick » Sun. Nov. 27, 2016 12:22 pm

Americas heat 620-9, furnace worked fine last year, even worked last week, well. It did do this this year when I first started it up, and a few times since, but noe its all it does. Could there be an issue with the flu? I cleaned it before this heating season

RSorjanen

Post by RSorjanen » Sun. Nov. 27, 2016 12:33 pm

sdimmick wrote:Americas heat 620-9, furnace worked fine last year, even worked last week, well. It did do this this year when I first started it up, and a few times since, but noe its all it does. Could there be an issue with the flu? I cleaned it before this heating season
how about an electrical connection from thermostat to thermostat relay if it has one, or any of the thermostat connections? I would try cleaning all the electrical connections on the main control board also
Bob

olpanrider

Post by olpanrider » Sun. Nov. 27, 2016 12:50 pm

sdimmick

Post by sdimmick » Sun. Nov. 27, 2016 1:24 pm

Excellant info, thanks. Im starting to lean towards bad control panel, possibly bad connections (will clean), or bad auger motor. It augers fine, thats why I think bad control module.....its kinda hard to figure it out without just replacing stuff.

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”