Fisher Grandma Stove Insert. Legal?

oldmillburner
Hand Fed Coal Stove: harman mysterio model
Other Heating: Century 244 wood burner

Post by oldmillburner » Wed. Nov. 16, 2016 1:55 pm

I need some wisdom on this. I have the opportunity to purchase a Fisher Grandma fireplace insert for dirt cheap. The insert is in great condition. Strictly a radiant stove that sticks out from the fireplace hearth. There is no blower. My understanding is that it is not a UL listed stove. Supposedly there is some law against installing it anywhere other than where it was originally set in. It will be going from one brick fireplace to another brick fireplace almost exactly the same. Is it a smoke dragon or does it have a re-burn system of some sort? Can anyone who has had one of these units, or similar, educate me on this? Thanks, [email protected]

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Wed. Nov. 16, 2016 2:59 pm

Is the National Guard blocking your doorway so you cant move it in? Are they going to remove it after you install it?

I'll leave the stove specifics to someone who has had one but pictures would help. and what are you going to burn in it?

oldmillburner

Post by oldmillburner » Wed. Nov. 16, 2016 3:26 pm

No, I'm just trying to help an older guy heat his home better than with oil he presently uses. He gave me a log splitter so I'm returning the favor by finding and insert for his fireplace so he doesn't get killed on oil this year. All my split wood is on a shared fence line so he can help himself. I seem to recall reading somewhere that installing a non UL listed stove can void your homeowners insurance. I guess he'll have to check that out. There are guys on youtube that have refir smoke dragons with reburner systems so hopefully it all works out. His son is a welder. oldmillburner

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Wed. Nov. 16, 2016 3:36 pm

oldmillburner wrote:I need some wisdom on this. I have the opportunity to purchase a Fisher Grandma fireplace insert for dirt cheap. The insert is in great condition. Strictly a radiant stove that sticks out from the fireplace hearth. There is no blower. My understanding is that it is not a UL listed stove. Supposedly there is some law against installing it anywhere other than where it was originally set in. It will be going from one brick fireplace to another brick fireplace almost exactly the same. Is it a smoke dragon or does it have a re-burn system of some sort? Can anyone who has had one of these units, or similar, educate me on this? Thanks, [email protected]
If his insurance company is OK with it I would say he's good to go.

These are rare ones ... me knowist nothing about them.

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Wed. Nov. 16, 2016 3:58 pm

As has already been said, a little more info would be helpful, especially pictures.
The biggest thing that would help would be your location. You didn't fill out your profile, so we have no idea if you are in California or New Zealand. Rules are diffeent everywhere.

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Wed. Nov. 16, 2016 5:38 pm

Nice of you to help out the man.

You/he can always add overfire air to the stove to help out some. Search for "secondary air" on this site. If possible make it easy to clean the chimney.

There is one thing I like about the older inefficient wood stoves is you can usually burn green or kinda wet (not rained on) wood in them, but not green and wet both. It will take more fuel of course. An example, I burned 13 pickup loads of green slabwood straight off the saw one year and if cured it would take 9 loads. But I was warm so it was all good.

SWPaDon

Post by SWPaDon » Wed. Nov. 16, 2016 6:04 pm

warminmn wrote:Nice of you to help out the man.

You/he can always add overfire air to the stove to help out some. Search for "secondary air" on this site. If possible make it easy to clean the chimney.

There is one thing I like about the older inefficient wood stoves is you can usually burn green or kinda wet (not rained on) wood in them, but not green and wet both. It will take more fuel of course. An example, I burned 13 pickup loads of green slabwood straight off the saw one year and if cured it would take 9 loads. But I was warm so it was all good.
Actually, I was trying to. Laws governing use of non-ul listed stoves, which he was asking about, are different everywhere. We don't know where he lives.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Wed. Nov. 16, 2016 6:44 pm

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Wed. Nov. 16, 2016 6:47 pm

SWPaDon wrote: Actually, I was trying to. Laws governing use of non-ul listed stoves, which he was asking about, are different everywhere. We don't know where he lives.
Sorry Don, I was replying to the OP's last post and you may have thought I was replying to you. Sorry for any confusion.

oldmillburner

Post by oldmillburner » Thu. Nov. 17, 2016 7:30 am

I live in the Filthydelphia, PA suburb of Eagleville, 15 miles west of the city. Neighbor says he was told as long as it is installed by a professional ( professional what?), it's good to go as far as homeowners insurance. I don't have pics except the Craigslist ad it appeared in. There are several fireplace units available around here right now at very reasonable prices 100$-450$. He wants something that sets further back into the fireplace hearth like a Buck stove so might grab one of those instead. Since it is a preexisting fireplace, will he need a liner or is he good to go once it's in? Probably a good idea to have a chimney guy run a brush through it, check it out and take his advice?

SWPaDon

Post by SWPaDon » Thu. Nov. 17, 2016 8:00 am

Yes, it's a good idea to have the chimney cleaned and inspected.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Nov. 17, 2016 8:06 am

As long as you find a HONEST sweep & they get harder & harder to find. They make BIG bucks putting in a liner that's not really needed. If you take a mirror & flash light, you can get a real good idea about condition--can you sweep it yourself? Small cracks don't matter nor sloppy mortar work.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Thu. Nov. 17, 2016 8:42 am

oldmillburner wrote:I live in the Filthydelphia, PA suburb of Eagleville, 15 miles west of the city. Neighbor says he was told as long as it is installed by a professional ( professional what?), it's good to go as far as homeowners insurance. I don't have pics except the Craigslist ad it appeared in. There are several fireplace units available around here right now at very reasonable prices 100$-450$. He wants something that sets further back into the fireplace hearth like a Buck stove so might grab one of those instead. Since it is a preexisting fireplace, will he need a liner or is he good to go once it's in? Probably a good idea to have a chimney guy run a brush through it, check it out and take his advice?
The insurance company wants a Fire Marshall's approval for a supplemental appliance, that makes them happy. You are better off with the stove out of the fireplace, in it you reduce the heating area and air volume that can scrub off heat.

oldmillburner

Post by oldmillburner » Thu. Nov. 17, 2016 9:43 am

Coaled sweat, I agree. I myself would prefer a freestanding stove extending further into the room. My neighbors fireplace has a raised hearth about 8 inches above the floor. I can extend the hearth if he wanted to go that way, but he seems to be set on a stove with an air jacket and blower inset into the hearth opening. His chimney is terracotta lined and doesn't appear to be in bad condition at all, just needs a cap. Chimney is on the south side of his house and the wind/ weather around here generally comes out of the North/Northwest. There is a house directly across from his chimney side that blocks weather also. I clean my own stainless chimney, but I'll have to shine a light down his flue and see how big a brush that will take. I never noticed if he has a cleanout outside or in his basement. Regardless, once these few safeguards are addressed he'll be a lot warmer and better off financially than if he had to pay $500-$600 every few weeks to fill his oil tank in fall/winter. Wood is plentiful around here and he's in good shape physically for his age (70). I have my daughter run dinner over to him every few days so he's not eating frozen dinners all the time. I'll make stocking his woodpile inside one of her daily chores. It's Important for her to understand taking the responsibility to care for older folks and helping your neighbors when you can.

coalfan
Hand Fed Coal Stove: ds circultor1500 \chubby coal stove
Coal Size/Type: nut/ pea ant.some bit.
Other Heating: kerosene\cold nat. gas

Post by coalfan » Thu. Nov. 17, 2016 10:06 am

bless you for being so kind that a thing of the past !!!!!!!!!! dam shame . kudos to you and your fam. !!!!!!

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”