Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Thu. Nov. 17, 2016 11:16 am

I have one.

Fisher Wood Stoves

The deal is unless it has the UL tag on it the insurance companies don't want it in the insured property. That said, the early models weren't UL listed, most of the existing Fisher stoves out there have the label. Mine has the label on the front of the right side. Bob Fisher designed the stove in response to the fuel "crisis" in the 1970's. Production was farmed out to other manufacturers. They are very well built stoves, but not very efficient. I call mine "the wood hog". Over time other manufacturers began making more efficient stoves, the Fisher stoves more or less became obsolete.

The stove is designed to fit into the existing fireplace and exhaust through the damper. Some time ago I had a flex liner installed which rests on a cast iron bracket sitting on the top of the stove (the insert has no collar). It's a great improvement over an open fireplace, does produce a lot of heat once it heats up. There should be a damper on the outlet, as well as a baffle inside (mine had no baffle, I made one for it, reduced the capacity but made it a bit more efficient). It has a deep firebox which is nice. I have a screen for it if I want to see the fire. There is no blower, it's convection. There are three metal plates that close in the fireplace opening.

The models followed "The Three Bears", Papa Bear, Momma Bear, etc.

It doesn't make any more smoke then any other wood stove in my opinion.

crazy4coal

Post by crazy4coal » Thu. Nov. 17, 2016 5:33 pm

UL started listing stoves in 1985 so any stoves made before 1985 will not have a UL label. NFPA says pre 1985 is exempt and must be installed per NFPA distance chart (I can't remember what the # is). Your state my have different codes that they enforce. I think solid fuel is covered in NFPA 31. Good luck.

oldmillburner
Hand Fed Coal Stove: harman mysterio model
Other Heating: Century 244 wood burner

Post by oldmillburner » Fri. Nov. 18, 2016 11:35 am

Thanks to all who responded! found a Buck stove that he prefers and installing it in just in time for cold weather here in PA!

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”