Heat Pump Installed

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Sat. Jan. 27, 2018 3:47 pm

coalnewbie wrote:
Sat. Jan. 27, 2018 8:44 am
This technology has me fascinated ... but it's not in the US yet. I wonder why not.
In principle it appears to be just like a GE or other brand heat-pump water heater, except for the evaporator coil being external. Much like household refrigerators where the condenser coil often is mounted on the back, but potentially could be much further away by using long connecting tubing. The term "solar" is a misnomer, since the description expressly says the panel does NOT rely on being in the sun -- though I'm sure that would help.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Sun. Jan. 28, 2018 6:48 am

RB, you are missing the whole point. Sun makes it better but the process is a 24hr a day cycle. The whole problem with existing solar heating is intermittancy.

On the question of heat generation.... The further you go North the more the problem becomes heat generation costs. So with Robs system of heat pumps, you can generate heat from electricity so the COP is perhaps as high as 4. So you put in 1 kw of energy in a regular electric fire and out comes 3,414 btu. With the modern heat pump out comes about 12,000 btu. Pretty darned nice and very convenient.

With my coal stove I put in 600watts of energy, add magic black powder and out come 120,000 btu or better. There are on going costs of buying black powder and it's not very convenient. My COP is about 60. So it's all about convenience and the value of my time. My time is not very valuable, so its a good deal.

So for the busy executive a good heat pump is a great shoulder technology. As you continue North and get dirt cheap hydroelectric generated electricity, this becomes a real dynamite technology as COPs have reached 6 and it will work at -30F. My suspicion is that is why Pierre dumped sunnyside.

Look at this in Northern Maine

I wrote to Robbie and said how wholesome it all looked up there, I am ready to move. Somehow he thought it was not so wholesome. :D

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Sun. Jan. 28, 2018 10:30 am

Invertor type heat pumps are going to be more and more popular. One drawback is they do not have a "backup" like a traditional heat pump. So while a great idea to use one, don't plan to sell the coal stove, etc.

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Sun. Jan. 28, 2018 10:56 am

I certainly would not go that far North and not have a total power out backup. At -30F things go South very quickly. About 5 years ago my neighbor went skiing in January and his oil heat went out. According to the plumber only my Frostfighter salamander save his a ss. The plumber could not get up his drive (steep hill + snow). It is surprising what you can get into a Cat 955 bucket. Of course, his vinyl fenced playground was fatally damaged. Yes, this makes G#6 up there so valuable and I am sure Robbie is not changing.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Jan. 28, 2018 11:49 am

coalkirk wrote:
Sun. Jan. 28, 2018 10:30 am
Invertor type heat pumps are going to be more and more popular. One drawback is they do not have a "backup" like a traditional heat pump. So while a great idea to use one, don't plan to sell the coal stove, etc.

Be careful w/ your wording...somewhat misleading w/ your "covers all" kind of statement.

Might you be more so referring to the Inverter Mini Splits and not all Inverter HPs in general, when stateing no 'back-up like traditional HP?

And remember Mini Splits and coal stoves are both 'space heaters' neither is a whole house furnace. ;)

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Sun. Jan. 28, 2018 11:56 am

coal stoves are both 'space heaters' neither is a whole house furnace. ;)
Thems fighting words from one of hydronic crowd. Of course they can be and are.

coalkirk

Post by coalkirk » Sun. Jan. 28, 2018 1:28 pm

McGiever wrote:
Sun. Jan. 28, 2018 11:49 am
Be careful w/ your wording...somewhat misleading w/ your "covers all" kind of statement.

Might you be more so referring to the Inverter Mini Splits and not all Inverter HPs in general, when stateing no 'back-up like traditional HP?

And remember Mini Splits and coal stoves are both 'space heaters' neither is a whole house furnace. ;)
Yes you are right. I misspoke. I really meant invertor ductless mini splits.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Jan. 28, 2018 1:38 pm

coalnewbie wrote:
Sun. Jan. 28, 2018 10:56 am
I certainly would not go that far North and not have a total power out backup. At -30F things go South very quickly. About 5 years ago my neighbor went skiing in January and his oil heat went out. According to the plumber only my Frostfighter salamander save his a ss. The plumber could not get up his drive (steep hill + snow). It is surprising what you can get into a Cat 955 bucket. Of course, his vinyl fenced playground was fatally damaged. Yes, this makes G#6 up there so valuable and I am sure Robbie is not changing.
A good example of why it is so important to have someone check on your house at least once per day while you are gone. Also wise to not keep the heat set on 50...give yourself more room for something to go wrong.

Backup heat is always a good idea as well, regardless of the primary system.

coalkirk

Post by coalkirk » Sun. Jan. 28, 2018 1:39 pm

Rob R. wrote:
Sun. Jan. 28, 2018 1:38 pm
A good example of why it is so important to have someone check on your house at least once per day while you are gone. Also wise to not keep the heat set on 50...give yourself more room for something to go wrong.
Good strategy. That's why I'm 50 lbs. overweight. If I get the flue I want some reserves! :lol:

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Sun. Jan. 28, 2018 2:06 pm

If I get the flue
I guess we are playing pun games ... OK, I am in.

Of course you are right Rob, even if you heat with a failproof system (don't know of one). When I was in England a friend spent two weeks in Mallorca in the summer without anybody checking. When he returned water was pouring out of the upstairs bedroom window. I am sure that ruined his whole year. To this day I keep a 24/7 camera on my sub basement ... twitch, twitch. I used to have a water alarm, hmmmm, I will look into that one again.

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Jan. 28, 2018 2:19 pm

Good idea. An IP camera is a cheap way to keep an eye on things.

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Sun. Jan. 28, 2018 2:46 pm

We have 6 Foscam $60 cameras on critical things on the farm all go to a cheap computer next to the TV. When I am away people are always here but I still port forward those cameras. Also I put BIG garden thermometers facing the cameras so I monitor temps as well. A little thread drift but I think useful info.

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Jan. 28, 2018 2:53 pm

Good info.

We are having a 40 degree heat wave, so I went out with my leaf blower and make sure my outside unit was ready for action. Other than a few leaves behind it, there was not much to see. Perhaps I will give it a test run later this week and see how it does in the cold.

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”