Wood Boiler Explosion

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Tue. Jan. 05, 2016 10:08 pm

Little short story for you guys. I have a neighbor that lives about a mile and a half down the road from me. He recently moved into a bigger house on the opposite side of the road. Well his old house has this unattached garage with a wood boiler in it, the house also has an oil boiler. He ended up selling the old house.

Yesterday the new owner decided to fire the wood boiler in the garage. It had been off thru the recent warm spell thru Christmas and new years.

My closer neighbor calls my wife and tells her she had heard from another source that an address on our road was reported with an explosion in a garage. THEN while on the phone, another friend down the road called my wife and said there was several emergency vehicles showing up at a home nearby. She lives about 300 yards away from where the event took place. She said the explosion was so loud that she thought something had blown up in her own house.

As it turns out, apparently the boiler system had no antifreeze because the previous owner kept it lit thru the whole cold season. It got cold enough for everything to freeze recently. Then the new owner unaware of this, chocked the wood boiler full and lit it with raging fire. Since everything had froze solid, all the safeties failed and it detonated like a bundle of dynamite.

I drove by the location today and what I saw was absolutely incredible. The WHOLE corner of the garage where the boiler sat was completely gone. The roof was sagging and both garage doors were blown off their tracks. Some of the sections had even come off. The front of the garage is now pitched at an angle, like it was forced off its foundation. My mouth was agape with complete denial of what what my eyes were telling me. Thank god no one was killed or worse.

I'll try to get a few pics during a drive by tomorrow. The devastation it caused is unbelievable. I don't even think the garage is salvageable.
Last edited by Lightning on Tue. Jan. 05, 2016 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ky Speedracer
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Florence HotBlast NO.68 & Potbelly
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: HotBlast 1557M
Coal Size/Type: Ky Lump & Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil

Post by Ky Speedracer » Tue. Jan. 05, 2016 10:13 pm

Ugh...that's scary!
I assume no one was in the garage? Thank god!

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Tue. Jan. 05, 2016 10:19 pm

Ky Speedracer wrote:Ugh...that's scary!
I assume no one was in the garage? Thank god!
Nope, lucky enough no one was in the blast radius.

BunkerdCaddis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Bairmatic-Van Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Van Wert VW85H
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge
Other Heating: oil fired hydronic

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Tue. Jan. 05, 2016 10:50 pm

It would be interesting to know what type/make boiler it was? My OWB, that is no longer in use, was open. I don't know how it would ever have built any pressure, let along that much. 'Tis a good thing no one was hurt.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Tue. Jan. 05, 2016 10:57 pm

My understanding is that it was tied in with the oil boiler in the house which was a pressurized system, not open. I'll ask the previous owner what kind of boiler it was.

BunkerdCaddis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Bairmatic-Van Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Van Wert VW85H
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge
Other Heating: oil fired hydronic

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Tue. Jan. 05, 2016 11:06 pm

Ah, so it would be more along the lines of a tarm or even a NY'r wc90 or something, I see.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Tue. Jan. 05, 2016 11:15 pm

Christ,what a Trainwreck !!......

Hot Water to Steam,High Fast Lift Pressure with nowhere to go......Nightmare ! So much potential for a high casualty count.... Very Fortunate !! :fear: :angel:

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Wed. Jan. 06, 2016 4:53 am

This is the type of thing I used to investigate when I worked for the insurance company. Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor Explosion.....BLEVE Google Water heater explosions and you'll be amazed with the destructive power a simple little 40 gallon water heater can produce much less a full fledged boiler. Imagine if this had been in the house basement. Yep I'm trying to use scare tactics.

They were lucky. If nothing else comes from this......

TEST YOUR SAFETY RELIEF VALVES!!!!!!!! It's so simple. Pull the lever and let it go. You should squirt water out and it should reseat and reseal. Never assume they work. Test them!!!! Psst don't forget your water heaters!!!

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Wed. Jan. 06, 2016 4:10 pm

Check the back left corner, gone. The heap of red scrap metal on the other side of the right garage door was the boiler. A service tech had to realign the dish on top.

Attachments

20160106_132320-1.jpg
.JPG | 125.5KB | 20160106_132320-1.jpg
20160106_132324-1.jpg
.JPG | 148.3KB | 20160106_132324-1.jpg
20160106_132328-1.jpg
.JPG | 100.9KB | 20160106_132328-1.jpg
20160106_132330-1.jpg
.JPG | 155.3KB | 20160106_132330-1.jpg

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Wed. Jan. 06, 2016 4:39 pm

Wow! That was a big boom!

scoobydoo
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer LE top vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by scoobydoo » Wed. Jan. 06, 2016 8:06 pm

blrman07 wrote:This is the type of thing I used to investigate when I worked for the insurance company. Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor Explosion.....BLEVE Google Water heater explosions and you'll be amazed with the destructive power a simple little 40 gallon water heater can produce much less a full fledged boiler. Imagine if this had been in the house basement. Yep I'm trying to use scare tactics.

They were lucky. If nothing else comes from this......

TEST YOUR SAFETY RELIEF VALVES!!!!!!!! It's so simple. Pull the lever and let it go. You should squirt water out and it should reseat and reseal. Never assume they work. Test them!!!! Psst don't forget your water heaters!!!
Here's a mythbusters video that shows a water heater exploding.

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Wed. Jan. 06, 2016 8:14 pm

What a boom........" A service tech had to realign the dish on top.!" ......wow, no heat, a 6 hundred lb. bomb explosion---BUT WE GOT OVER 300 CHANNELS...we're's the remote :taz:

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Wed. Jan. 06, 2016 8:18 pm

Lightning wrote: A service tech had to realign the dish on top.
Dang! No one should ever have to endure such a tragedy. :cry2:

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Wed. Jan. 06, 2016 9:20 pm

michaelanthony wrote:What a boom........" A service tech had to realign the dish on top.!" ......wow, no heat, a 6 hundred lb. bomb explosion---BUT WE GOT OVER 300 CHANNELS...we're's the remote
My neighbor that lives close by stopped to offer her some electric heaters but the house has an oil boiler. The wood boiler in the garage was tied into it. She also mentioned that the dish tech was there. But yeah that's a hoot man!

Also I just learned the wood boiler was a Weber, I'm not familiar with that name.

The boiler sat in the back left corner of the garage. It appears that it opened up towards that corner and flew across the garage towards the opposite corner. It also appears that out in the driveway there is a heat exchanger that came thru bottom of the left side garage door.

Could you imagine driving by at the moment it blew? It would scare ya right over the ditch and out thru the field on the other side of the road. :lol:

But funnies aside, thank God no one got hurt or worse.

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Wed. Jan. 06, 2016 9:51 pm

......But funnies aside, thank God no one got hurt or worse.

right on bro....................................oh did you find a baro or mpd in the carnage? :P

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”