New Yorker: Return on Investment

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Mon. Dec. 28, 2015 4:26 pm

I understand that, but if you are only siphoning off so much of that heat, and the draft control is your only way of preventing an over-temp on the aquastat for a hand fired boiler, there are only two alternatives that I see:

1). The dump zone is continually releasing
2). You make steam and the relief valve opens up (I did by the way vent that OUTSIDE for fear of this happening).

I also live on a big hill which is another way of saying the wind blows like crazy up here. I did install a mechanical damper and an automatic damper to kick down the draft, and will reduce my chimney height when I finally do go through the roof with it on final hook up, but on previous stoves it was not uncommon to have an excessive draft just from the wind alone.

Thinking aloud here, my Munchkin boiler's main loop has a high limit of only 130 degrees and a low limit of 80. This system was unfortunately/fortunately designed for very low water temps (efficiency) where as the New Yoker is designed for high heat applications as an add on boiler. But I do like the idea of plumbing the system to two high volume standby reservoirs. This would be conducive to my next plan (down the road) of integrating solar hot water into the system. I think that would work well. Solar/Geothermal in the summer for DHW and then Coal/Geothermal in the winter for the highest demand for both DHW and heating.

Would that work?

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Tue. Dec. 29, 2015 10:06 pm

Ya got storage...
and a way to heat when there is no sun...

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Wed. Dec. 30, 2015 7:45 am

I could use my current propane boiler on cloudy days or my electric hot water heater...

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Wed. Dec. 30, 2015 3:01 pm

We all need to remain "diversified" with our heating appliances. This year oil is cheap and getting cheaper by the day, next year the reverse may be true.

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”