Venting a Zero Clearance Gas Fireplace

Clemenza

Post by Clemenza » Thu. Mar. 27, 2008 6:51 pm

I've already learned a great deal from this site, so in advance, thank you.

I recently purchased a zero clearance gas fireplace. The unit is going in my basement and will be vented through a concrete wall (the foundation to the house). From this site, I now know a lot more about how that will be done. My question is regarding the venting off of the fireplace. Above the unit, I would like to frame a recessed wall where I plan to mount a flat screen TV. To do that I would like to attach a 45 degree vent piece at the fireplace and another 45 near where it will exit the wall. What this means is that the venting will be at a 45 degree angle for about 4 feet. The fireplace shop was not sure if this was acceptable though told me they would get back to me. Anybody here know if this will work?

Again, thanks for the help.

pvolcko
Verified Business Rep.

Post by pvolcko » Thu. Mar. 27, 2008 10:22 pm

Your best source of information will be from the stove manufacturer. They'll know what their venting requirements and limitations are. Many stoves have extensive sections in their user/installation manuals dedicated to the various venting configurations, lengths of horizontal vs diagonal vs vertical sections of pipe, etc.

George-NJ

Post by George-NJ » Fri. Mar. 28, 2008 4:24 pm

Not an answer to your ?, just an FYI...

You do have the obtion to go vent free, if you buy that type of gas fireplace. I always throw one in each house that I build, all we have to do is run a gas/propane line, couldn't be any simpler than that. Vent free means all the heat you generate stays in the house, not out the flue. They have oxogen depletion sensors so they are code compliant. Lowes sells a real nice one with a big fancy remote for around $470.

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”