Distance From Top of Stove to Mantel

Virginia Woodworker

Post by Virginia Woodworker » Wed. Dec. 09, 2015 3:54 pm

I live in Port Huron, MI and have put in a new stove and was wondering if anyone new the distance from the top of the stove to the mantel. Also I have a single walled pipe coming out of the top of the stove at a 30 degree angle going into the fireplace opening and into a clay lined chimney. What should be a safe distance from the top of that pipe to the mantel.
I have a wood stove.

Thanks for the help,
Virginia Woodworker

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Wed. Dec. 09, 2015 4:00 pm

I think it would be 18 inches, a photo of your set up would help.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Dec. 09, 2015 4:40 pm

Yep, pix indeed.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Wed. Dec. 09, 2015 4:48 pm

18" is listed. You may want a second single wall pipe surrounding the first with a 1" gap (1" screw spacers). That will really lower the temp that the mantle see's coming off the pipe.

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Wed. Dec. 09, 2015 4:59 pm

titleist1 wrote:18" is listed. You may want a second single wall pipe surrounding the first with a 1" gap (1" screw spacers). That will really lower the temp that the mantle see's coming off the pipe.
Thats what I did, it will also lower the 18 inch code requirement.

Virginia Woodworker

Post by Virginia Woodworker » Thu. Dec. 10, 2015 1:15 pm

Here is a picture of what I have. I am told by the stove company that the distance has to be 84 inches from floor to ceiling thus from top of stove it has to be about 57 inches to combustibles. This does not make sense to me seeing it only has to be 18 inches from top of single walled pipe to rafter etc. The stove is thicker than pipe in my way of thinking. Any suggestions.

Attachments

wood stove.jpg
.JPG | 91.4KB | wood stove.jpg

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Dec. 10, 2015 1:34 pm

I'd contact the stove manufacturer and ask them to please explain why that 84 inch is required.

Normally, a heat safety distance is measured from the stove, not the floor. That 84 inches may not have to do with safe heat distances, but something as simple as having a safe height for working around the stove ?

Paul

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Thu. Dec. 10, 2015 1:45 pm

What stove make / model is it?

Without being able to tape measure it, that looks to me like there is enough clearance to the mantle although I am not a fan of those long flimsy curtain's hanging that close to the stove.

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Thu. Dec. 10, 2015 3:18 pm

Very nice looking hearth and stove. If the flue pipe is 6 inch diameter I would buy the appropriate length of 8 inch stove pipe and cut in half length wise and secure it to the 6 inch flue using 1 inch, (approx.), ceramic insulators, (spacers), and a self tapping screw long enough to pass through the insulator and both pieces of pipe. This would give you a 1 inch air space between the 2 pipe and allow for your mantel to be installed as you like. like putting on a suit of armor with an inch of air space around you and the metal.

You could do the same to the bottom of the mantel with a length of metal stock to an area just above the stove pipe. ;)
Last edited by michaelanthony on Thu. Dec. 10, 2015 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Dec. 10, 2015 3:18 pm

Hmmmm, I wonder how much clearance the curtains need?? ;) VW, apparently the stove co. people are idiots. Looks like ya got a good 2 1/2' there from stove to bottom of mantel. You're fine just the way you are. :)

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Thu. Dec. 10, 2015 3:27 pm

freetown fred wrote:Hmmmm, I wonder how much clearance the curtains need?? ;) VW, apparently the stove co. people are idiots. Looks like ya got a good 2' there from stove to bottom of mantel. You're fine just the way you are. :)
It does look like there's plenty of room...of course we haven't seen the mantel yet. I would fire 'er up and see how hot a test piece of wood gets at that distance.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Thu. Dec. 10, 2015 3:44 pm

freetown fred wrote:I wonder how much clearance the curtains need?? ;)
I'm not sure about the curtains combustibility but I admit to being the idiot with a couple melted spots on the side of my winter coat from getting too close when emptying the fines tray or setting the ash pan down. :bang: Glad it was an old coat or I'd have been in big trouble.

Besides... if he has a draft strong enough to suck the fur off the cat he may just suck those curtains right over toward the stove!! :P

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Dec. 10, 2015 3:47 pm

Come on T, that was my-things to ponder- part of the post. Sorry about that coat! :clap: toothy For the record, I'm suspectin the mantel will go where the pretty stone work ends.

Virginia Woodworker

Post by Virginia Woodworker » Thu. Dec. 10, 2015 4:25 pm

Thanks guys. The measurements are: from top of pipe to where the bottom of mantel would be which is where the stone ends is 21". The distance from top of stove to where mantel would be is 33".
From side of stove to curtains is about 25".

I had inspector here this morning and he approved it. Now I am worried about the insurance co. they have to come Monday and look at it. I am looking for advise as to what to do with the mantel not only distance but material that would look good and be safe.

Thanks

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Thu. Dec. 10, 2015 4:45 pm

How about a stone mantle..

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”