1892 Monarch Fireplace Insert

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Tue. May. 15, 2018 5:45 pm

I forgot your HW 25 is a double heater. How well did it heat the other areas Paulie? And one other question, how clean does all that mica stay? My 111 has a fraction the glass yours does, and it's a challenge to keep it clean. I can't imagine how much of a costly pain it must be to keep that much mica from getting contaminated.
Even still, it sure is a gorgeous room. You did an exceptional job...as usual. :yes:
(somebody wanna say it? :evil: _ _ _ _)

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Wed. May. 16, 2018 6:09 pm

TOTP....... Yay Joe !

In the shoulder months the double heater keeps the upstairs comfortable. The double heater flue goes thru the wall into the room with the stoker. When the upstairs thermostat calls for heat it activates the stoker blower and draws the heat thru the existing ductwork feeding the rest of the house. My cold air return is located directly across from the base burner . The return air flows down the stairs, past the stove, and is picked up by the cold air return duct that feeds the stoker room. With this setup I'm able to burn the stove at a higher temperature without baking me out of the man cave because it also draws some of the heat off the outside surface of the stove too.

On the colder days I run the recirculation blower 24/7 and it balances the temperature a little more evenly.

As far as keeping the mica clean that seems to depend on the oat's. When its cold and its running hot with a strong draft, I open the internal check damper before shaking it down. That keeps the fine fly ash from making its way thru the bed and the windows stay pretty clean. They seem to get ashed up a lot more when it's warmer, the draft is not as strong and I don't use the check damper when shaking it down.

Every now and then when they get fogged up, I just open one door at a time and give them a quick vac or spray and wipe with a mix of vinegar and water.
The lower doors rarely get dusted and I just gave them a quick vac maybe once a month.

Paulie

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Wed. May. 16, 2018 7:09 pm

joeq wrote:
Tue. May. 15, 2018 5:45 pm
I forgot your HW 25 is a double heater. How well did it heat the other areas Paulie? And one other question, how clean does all that mica stay? My 111 has a fraction the glass yours does, and it's a challenge to keep it clean. I can't imagine how much of a costly pain it must be to keep that much mica from getting contaminated.
Even still, it sure is a gorgeous room. You did an exceptional job...as usual. :yes:
(somebody wanna say it? :evil: _ _ _ _)
say Joe, ever notice these threads have 15 entries per page ? just sayin :twisted: :lol:

joeq

Post by joeq » Wed. May. 16, 2018 11:02 pm

Pauliewog wrote:
Wed. May. 16, 2018 6:09 pm

As far as keeping the mica clean that seems to depend on the oat's. When its cold and its running hot with a strong draft, I open the internal check damper before shaking it down. That keeps the fine fly ash from making its way thru the bed and the windows stay pretty clean. They seem to get ashed up a lot more when it's warmer, the draft is not as strong and I don't use the check damper when shaking it down.
Every now and then when they get fogged up, I just open one door at a time and give them a quick vac or spray and wipe with a mix of vinegar and water.
The lower doors rarely get dusted and I just gave them a quick vac maybe once a month.
Paulie
OK Paulie, now I'm getting confused ...again. You say you open your check damper B4 shaking. I'm assuming you're doing this to lessen the draft, but then "CLOSE" the check damper while shaking down the stove. This is what was screwing me up last season. I "didn't" close the damper when shaking, and all my fly ash was sent into my baseheater channels.
KingCoal wrote:
Wed. May. 16, 2018 7:09 pm
say Joe, ever notice these threads have 15 entries per page ? just sayin :twisted: :lol:
Actually Steve, I never did notice that. Figured it was determined by the "amount" words being written, and not by the number of postings. Didn't know it was that consistent. Have you actually counted them on many of the pages?

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Thu. May. 17, 2018 1:07 pm

i counted 10 seperate pages in 10 random threads, those came out at 15 entries

not saying ALL are but.........

joeq

Post by joeq » Thu. May. 17, 2018 4:38 pm

Good observation. I'll have-ta keep a count on that. So if you don't see me posting after 14 entries, it's not cause I've got a hair....uh..."outa place". :roll:

devinmiller1

Post by devinmiller1 » Thu. Feb. 23, 2023 7:48 pm

I’m searching for a summer cover for one of these

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”