Burning Anthracite Coal in My Jotul Oslo Woodstove

TEJ

Post by TEJ » Tue. Mar. 25, 2008 6:46 am

Any opinions on burning a combination of wood and coal in my Jotul woodtsove? It's the Oslo model

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Tue. Mar. 25, 2008 7:02 am

Not familiar with that model but if it doesn't have grates and an air supply from below the fire, not gonna work.

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Tue. Mar. 25, 2008 8:30 am

I second Coalkirk's response. Coal needs to get air from below the fire & needs a pretty deep bed to work at all. You can always burn wood in a coal stove but not the reverse.

Mike Wilson

Post by Mike Wilson » Fri. Apr. 11, 2008 9:51 pm

It won't work, for the reasons mentioned. That said, I have thrown a few lumps (4-5) of stove coal, anthracite, into my Jotul, in the wood coal bed and right in front of the primary air inlet and they burned well... I didn't notice any difference at all in the stove's performance as compared to using just straight wood.

-- Mike

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Sat. Apr. 12, 2008 1:59 am

Mike Wilson wrote:It won't work, for the reasons mentioned. That said, I have thrown a few lumps (4-5) of stove coal, anthracite, into my Jotul, in the wood coal bed and right in front of the primary air inlet and they burned well... I didn't notice any difference at all in the stove's performance as compared to using just straight wood.

-- Mike
You won't see any difference with only 4-5 pieces of coal however if you would fill it with Anthracite you would see a big
differents but that only be good if you stove could burn Anthracite remember good Anthracite will burn at 13.000 to 13.800
BTU's Per lb about double of what the best season wood will do

Mike Wilson

Post by Mike Wilson » Sat. Apr. 12, 2008 7:50 am

coal berner wrote: You won't see any difference with only 4-5 pieces of coal however if you would fill it with Anthracite you would see a big
differents but that only be good if you stove could burn Anthracite remember good Anthracite will burn at 13.000 to 13.800
BTU's Per lb about double of what the best season wood will do
Yes absolutely, but it wouldn't work in my stove, so there's just no point. I was looking to see if I could extend the time my coal bed lasts. Normally I can get a nice 8-10 hours out of her between reloads.
I'm looking into a boiler this summer, probably a KA-6. I'll use it to heat my 3 zones of water based FHA heat. I'm officially tired of feeding my stove 3 times per day, and if oil is going to stay here at 3.5 to 4 per gallon, I'm going to have to change my primary fuel. My house burns 500 gallons of oil per month, 2000 gallons per year.

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”