L7224 Electronic Aquastat Issue - Circ Runs Non Stop

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Mon. Sep. 21, 2015 10:20 am

Thought I had this problem licked a few months back, but apparently not. :x Winter is coming (45° this morning :( ), so I had better get this thing fixed ....

The unit is on my Burnham oil boiler, which is tied into my stoker - I need this unit to work since it controls heat calls to the baseboards upstairs, while the stoker provides the heat instead of the oil burner.

Here's the problem:

The circulator for my 3 heating zones is now running non stop 24/7. I had to disconnect the thermostat wires from the TT lugs in the aquastat to get it to stop. If I even momentarily connect the wires back to the TT lugs, the TT LED will light, which commands C1 to energize, running the circ non stop. That just happened out of the blue one morning - I woke up and could hear the circ running through the convergence of pipes in the closet in my bedroom.

I figured this to be a simple upstairs thermostat that was stuck .... but none of the zone valves are open! They're the old school mercury ones, so not much to fail there. I still see the little spark in the mercury when I crank it to 80°, then immediately back to 40° shutting down the heat call. The thermostat's wiring goes directly to the zone valves, then off there to the aquastat. There's also a 24v transformer in there as well that sends juice up to the t-stats, and back during a heat call.

I put my meter on the 2 leads in the aquastat that connect to the TT lugs - no DC voltage. Continuity test across the 2 wires acts like a condenser in a points ignition engine - it starts off very high resistance (in the million ohm range), then slowly comes down a little ... and then begins to rise again to infinity (no continuity). Seems normal to me ... ?? Checked for a short between either wire to the metal housing and the boiler itself. Nothing - no continuity. I should mention that I did these tests with one wire still connected to the aquastat TT lug - I may have to remove that one and test again.

Does this sound like a faulty aquastat? I installed it in '06, so it's been in the damp basement nearly 10 years now.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Sep. 21, 2015 11:38 am

One of your zone valves has an end switch that is not opening. Try to manually open and close each zone valve a few times to see if that corrects it. If not, disconnect one leg from the end switch terminals valve by valve until you find the culprit.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Mon. Sep. 21, 2015 11:56 am

Be careful opening and closing valves manually, you should always depower for a short time before actuating so as not to damage the operator. TACOs are one of those that are not happy with it.

SMITTY

Post by SMITTY » Mon. Sep. 21, 2015 2:26 pm

Thanks guys.

Yeah these are Taco units - they were here when I moved in. Presuming they were installed when the oil boiler was installed - around '96 some time. Never had an issue with any of them before. I did try manually opening / closing the 2 that are still connected (disconnected the 2nd floor unit, since that floor has become storage - moved our bedroom to the 1st floor) with no change. I think I even swapped another with the 2nd floor one, and that didn't change anything either. I'll have to take a closer look at those now though - thanks for that info, Rob.

SMITTY

Post by SMITTY » Mon. Sep. 28, 2015 10:20 pm

Rob was right - I played around with the wiring, double checked everything, tested for continuity on #2 & 3, and had a little .. so I cycled it manually. Bingo - no more circ running non stop. Ready for the heating season, which starts in about 2-3 days ... :shock:

Thanks again Rob. :cheers:

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”