Rocket Stove Fun

stovepipemike

Post by stovepipemike » Sat. Jun. 06, 2015 8:17 am

I looked at some of the examples on the net ,bought some square tubing and warmed up the Lincoln. It turned out to be a nice little welding project. If you look at the ones they show in operation you will see them burning everything from custom cut kiln dried dimensional wood to pine cones and yard debris. Yesterday, I made some wonderful blueberry pancakes on the thing. It certainly is going on my next camping trip since it is very efficient and not too bulky. It gets the name Rocket Stove because when you get the right quantity of fuel in it, the air rushes in the burn tube and makes that little turbulence noise we are all familiar with. Cast iron cooking pans work best on these stoves since cast iron distributes the heat so well. It also makes me smile to cook a pot or two with scrap wood. When the combustion is right they don't even smoke. I can't imagine a better return on a few dollars and a dozen or so of welding rods. Sorry for no pics, can weld but can't transfer camera molecules. Mike

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Jun. 06, 2015 8:50 am

Nice sounding portable Rocketstove Mike!

We have got to get you photo transfer ready!

-Don

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sat. Jun. 06, 2015 8:54 am

Pictures! We need pictures!!!

stovepipemike

Post by stovepipemike » Sat. Jun. 06, 2015 12:58 pm

Don, Believe me when I say I would love to be "slick with the pic" and I have tried until I can feel the veins starting to stand out. I actually could do it years ago but as the computer got replaced x2 I have fallen off the perch. Now it is to a point that the pictures will not even get on this screen for ME to look at them, never mind do anything with them. As for the Rocket Stove, I have recently fit it out with a cast iron grate and attempted to burn natural charcoal [made at a historically correct demonstration burn] but although it burned O.K. it did not provide enough heat to do much cooking. Hard to believe since this stuff is how they originally made iron. Now we will try briquettes to see if there is any difference and determine why. Fun combustion things for the non coal months. Mike

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”