The Propane Cost Gap Just Got Narrower

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Fri. Jun. 05, 2015 7:00 am

We were calling around for propane prices to fill up our tank this year, we are right on our 3 year refill schedule. And lucky for us Southern States is having a sale on propane at the moment for those that own their tank and get more than 500 gallons, selling it for $1.29 / gal. And another SS location was selling for $1.25/gal but they wouldn't deliver into the territory of 'our' SS.

I have no interest in getting away from the stoker for heat since coal is still less expensive by a couple $ per million BTU's according to the fuel calculator. But its nice to know the cooktop, dryer and water heater got cheaper to operate! :)

If you are looking for a refill of 500 gal minimum, give them a call in your area and see if they are running the same deal.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Jun. 05, 2015 7:22 am

Yeah, we use the gas dryer and stove for the three months of summer, too. But, the pro-pain price has barely dropped around here. Was $4.29 a gallon when I got the tank refilled last summer. Only a few years before that it was in the $2.00 a gallon range.

And they price gouge for all non-heating use. Only way I can get the price down is to install gas heat, which would cost me more than replacing the gas dryer and stove with electric ones. :mad:

A couple of weeks ago, I checked the price for a delivery and it was $3.98.

I think the gas companies are sticking it to us because about the time our Governor put a halt to gas exploration and fracking, the price per gallon went way up. :mad:

Paul

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Fri. Jun. 05, 2015 8:08 am

Its amazing the price fluctuations region by region on propane. Its usually cheaper here than in the east, but 1.29 is a good price, especially if a furnace is high efficiency. Ive been running on 250 gallons since 2004 for my cook stove, but may use some in the shoulder seasons this coming year if the price is low.

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Fri. Jun. 05, 2015 8:17 am

I bet in this state we couldn't even come close to that price. I'm just glad I don't have to deal with it. Next door neighbors have propane for hot water, and another neighbor has it for their stove - it's a major rip. Next door costs them about $600 a month (used to anyway) just to heat hot water! :eek2: And I thought oil was bad ...

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Fri. Jun. 05, 2015 10:19 am

SMITTY wrote:I bet in this state we couldn't even come close to that price. I'm just glad I don't have to deal with it. Next door neighbors have propane for hot water, and another neighbor has it for their stove - it's a major rip. Next door costs them about $600 a month (used to anyway) just to heat hot water! :eek2: And I thought oil was bad ...
They must be nice smelling neighbors! :lol:

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”