What Is the Longevity of Heating Oil Sitting in My Tank?

1975gt750
Stoker Coal Boiler: keystoker kaa-2
Coal Size/Type: rice coal / blaschak
Other Heating: pensotti oil boiler with riello 40 burner

Post by 1975gt750 » Tue. Mar. 04, 2008 2:05 pm

i was just wondering what he longevity of heating oil is sitting in my tank. I installed a keystoker kaa-2 in series with my oil burner and I havent used any oil in 2 months. I just doint want to have any problems if it goes bad. are there any additives to add to my tank to keep the oil fresh. or is the heating oil good forever.

mozz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 1982 AA-130 Steam

Post by mozz » Tue. Mar. 04, 2008 2:12 pm

You can buy a "preservative" so to say for diesel fuel but once you see the price you'll pass on it. I'm trying to use up my oil for my hot water since the boiler didn't come on at all this year yet since burning coal in the stove.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Tue. Mar. 04, 2008 4:01 pm

Water is the problem with heating oil, or diesel fuel or jet fuel... There is a microbe that grows on the film between water and kerosene [diesel, jet, and heating oil] . The problem is much worse in warm weather, but you can still get some microbial growth in cool weather.

There are several products that will reduce or prevent the growth of the microbe... one of which is gasoline.. but I certainly don't recommend adding gasoline to your fuel oil tank..

The best that I can think of is the frequently drain the sump in the tank, to remove water that WILL accumulate from condensation on the inside of the tank walls.

You might ask your heating oil supplier... if they will talk to you still.. :D :D :? :lol: to see what they recommend..

Greg L

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Tue. Mar. 04, 2008 5:14 pm

A friend of mine is the facilities manager for a large office complex in our area. They have a diesel generator for backup as this is a large credit card operation. The fuel oil tank is 10,000 gallons and they have a service come out if the fuel sits for couple years that pumps the fuel out, cleans, filters and does something to stop the microbial growth that Greg mentioned, then puts it back in the tank.

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Tue. Mar. 04, 2008 7:10 pm

personally, i'd simply add a bottle or two of powerservice, some biocide for diesel fuel and pretty much call it good. perhaps stuff a rag in the vent to prevent fast movement of air, but still allow for expansion and contraction of teh fuel based on temperiture. basically with our diesel gen sets and large fuel tanks 10,000gal+ we add powerservice (by the drum) and biocide, that's it, but it's filtered well before it reaches the engines, just as you should have a filter en route to the oil burner.

1975gt750
Stoker Coal Boiler: keystoker kaa-2
Coal Size/Type: rice coal / blaschak
Other Heating: pensotti oil boiler with riello 40 burner

Post by 1975gt750 » Wed. Mar. 05, 2008 9:32 am

where can I buy the powerservice and biocide. I found a company on line fppf who makes a fuel oil stabilizer anybody else hear of it

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Wed. Mar. 05, 2008 12:07 pm

Products | Power Service

There is a location on the site that says "where to buy" click on it for helpful information.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Wed. Mar. 05, 2008 7:33 pm

1975gt750 wrote:i havent used any oil in 2 months. I just doint want to have any problems if it goes bad. are there any additives to add to my tank to keep the oil fresh. or is the heating oil good forever.
Short of contamination, you should have no trouble. It won't last forever as the lighter components will evaporate over time and the oil will thicken. I throw a can of diesel fuel conditioner in once a year..... if I remember.

Its useful life in your tank? Don't even think about it.

ktm rider

Post by ktm rider » Wed. Mar. 05, 2008 7:42 pm

I work in a powerhouse for the Feds and We have 6 -10,000 fuel oil tanks. These are just for back up gen sets and backup for the gas boilers. The fuel has been in them for 5 years now. We have it tested every year and it is still fine. We did order the "winter blend" fuel when we ordered it however. I don't think you would have an issue in just a few months or a year or two.

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”