Antique Dual Fuel Kitchen Stove

D.lapan
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: newmac wood,coal,oil como
Baseburners & Antiques: 20th century laurel, glenwood hickory,crawford fairy
Coal Size/Type: nut, stove

Post by D.lapan » Mon. Feb. 02, 2015 7:36 am

my modern kitchen stove is slowly dying so I am in the market for a antique gas/wood,coal,kero cook stove it will only be used on the gas side so grate and firebox cond don't matter as long as it don't have big cracks closer to NH, VT the better... or I am a propane tech so my other thought was to convert my fairy Crawford in the barn into a gas stove but Im not sure what burners to get to complete this task..
any help would be great
Thanks
Dana

stovehospital

Post by stovehospital » Mon. Feb. 02, 2015 8:14 am

Take a ride over to Nashua and see the work being done at Stanley Iron Works. IT will give you a new appreciation of what it takes to do the job correctly. The best idea is to find a GLENWOOD gas stove in the 1928 series and upgrade that to modern codes. They are better stoves than anything made now. I have one in my kitchen and so does my son. Do not buy anything where the door opens down. They had not worked out the spring systems in the 1920's.

D.lapan

Post by D.lapan » Mon. Feb. 02, 2015 8:31 am

There is a Glendale wood gas combo on Craig's list not too far from where I live I will have to look closer that the pics to see if it's a side swing or bottom, thanks for the advice I'll will start looking for a Glenwood

stovehospital

Post by stovehospital » Mon. Feb. 02, 2015 11:15 am

If you plan to use gas here are the problems.
1. The stove has no insulation .
2. the oven walls are cast iron and soak up heat.
3. They use a ton of gas and rarely reach high temps.
4. You will need to install modern safety systems in the oven and this can be difficult

We do buy these stoves but we remove all the gas works from the ovens and use the oven only with solid fuels. Great for a camp or for a home with a wall oven. Use the gas cook top in summer and the solid fuel when it's cold out. Preppers love them.

If you buy the stove you are looking at, it should be cheap since it is currently illegal. They can usually be bought in the $100-$150 range.

D.lapan

Post by D.lapan » Mon. Feb. 02, 2015 11:54 am

Would a straight Glenwood gas stove be more practical being that we will never use the solid fuels side?

stovehospital

Post by stovehospital » Mon. Feb. 02, 2015 4:51 pm

I have one in my kitchen and so does my son. It has been made clear to me by my wife that the stove will never leave the kitchen. She made me scrap one of those stainless super stoves they make now. She hated that and loves this . It is making some kale soup right now.

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”