Cooking With Gasoline

Smokeyja
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater, Richmond Advance Range, WarmMorning 414a x2
Coal Size/Type: Nut / Anthracite
Other Heating: none

Post by Smokeyja » Sun. Feb. 01, 2015 5:46 pm

Interesting video I came across ! Old Army cook stove instructions .

stovehospital

Post by stovehospital » Sun. Feb. 01, 2015 7:53 pm

Cooking with gasoline was common prior to the advent of the automobile. The Quick Meal Co. was founded on the idea I believe. When cars came along the formulation of gasoline changed and gas came in . That was the end of gasoline stoves.
The gasoline used then was much like the fuel used in Coleman stoves today.

Smokeyja
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater, Richmond Advance Range, WarmMorning 414a x2
Coal Size/Type: Nut / Anthracite
Other Heating: none

Post by Smokeyja » Sun. Feb. 01, 2015 7:56 pm

stovehospital wrote:Cooking with gasoline was common prior to the advent of the automobile. The Quick Meal Co. was founded on the idea I believe. When cars came along the formulation of gasoline changed and gas came in . That was the end of gasoline stoves.
The gasoline used then was much like the fuel used in Coleman stoves today.
Very interesting fact! My father has two old Colman gasoline stoves . Pretty neat really. History fascinates me . In a way it seems like folks went down more avenues . Today has a lot of restrictions .

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sun. Feb. 01, 2015 9:38 pm

You can still get stoves that use gas, they are standard for mountaineering equipment. I'd imagine anything that uses white gas(Coleman fuel) would also burn unleaded.

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/stoves/simple-c ... g/category

Those are multi fuel; Coleman fuel, gas or kerosene. You really should use Coleman fuel. Regular gas has a bad odor and the kerosene is problematic, it also has a different jet for kerosene.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Mon. Feb. 02, 2015 5:51 am

I've used "Coleman Stoves" burning white gas for decades. Never camped without one.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Feb. 02, 2015 6:22 am

If the stove gasoline was truly automotive gasoline then it was very different than what we know gasoline to be.

A late friend was a automotive test engineer back in the 1920's. In the late 20's he went to work for Sun Oil Company (Sunoco) as a fuel systems engineer and as their go between with GM's Rochester Carburetor Division - helping them design carbs to go with the fuels being developed.

He said that early gasoline had a lot of "heavy ends" still in it from the refineries and it was more like our kerosene. If you look at early carburetor designs they often used electric primers/heaters because in cooler weather they had quite a bit of trouble getting that gasoline to ignite.

He also said that through the 1920's, 57 octane was standard and that's what most engines were designed to run on (5:1 compression, or lower). Then, in 1930 Sunoco came out with Sunoco Blue gas, which was 70 octane. Shortly after that most carburetor manufacturers dropped using electric primers and engine designers also started raising compression ratios.

Paul

labman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: harman mk II
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by labman » Mon. Feb. 02, 2015 9:36 am

Sunny Boy wrote:If the stove gasoline was truly automotive gasoline then it was very different than what we know gasoline to be.

A late friend was a automotive test engineer back in the 1920's. In the late 20's he went to work for Sun Oil Company (Sunoco) as a fuel systems engineer and as their go between with GM's Rochester Carburetor Division - helping them design carbs to go with the fuels being developed.

He said that early gasoline had a lot of "heavy ends" still in it from the refineries and it was more like our kerosene. If you look at early carburetor designs they often used electric primers/heaters because in cooler weather they had quite a bit of trouble getting that gasoline to ignite.

He also said that through the 1920's, 57 octane was standard and that's what most engines were designed to run on (5:1 compression, or lower). Then, in 1930 Sunoco came out with Sunoco Blue gas, which was 70 octane. Shortly after that most carburetor manufacturers dropped using electric primers and engine designers also started raising compression ratios.

Paul
You are totally correct. 20 some years ago I had my own restoration shop. We only restored pre 1935 cars. Adding kero to the gas in the tank made them run the way they were designed to without overheating. early farm tractors were designed to be started on a small tank of gas. After it warmed up they would turn on the kero tank and turn off the gas. The fuel line was routed through the exhaust manifold to aid in atomizing the kero so I would burn better. Before the internal combustion engine gas was a waste product of the distilling process and was used in snake oil tonics and whatever else they could think of.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Feb. 02, 2015 10:00 am

Sunny Boy wrote:If the stove gasoline was truly automotive gasoline then it was very different than what we know gasoline to be.
Coleman fuel is gas but there is absolutely no additives. I've used regular unleaded in my MSR stove and it worked just as well however it has an odor. There is really nothing to them stoves, you can easily make one if you really wanted too.

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Mon. Feb. 02, 2015 10:36 am

We burned unleaded gas in our Coleman camp stove several times. Back then they recommended Coleman fuel only but I have recently seen they must have evolved their thinking.
http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Burner-Compact-Liqu ... fuel+stove

mikeandgerry
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson Anthratube 130-M

Post by mikeandgerry » Thu. Mar. 12, 2015 12:15 am

coleman fuel is naptha (not to be confused with naphthalene).

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Mar. 12, 2015 12:18 am

gaw wrote:We burned unleaded gas in our Coleman camp stove several times. Back then they recommended Coleman fuel only but I have recently seen they must have evolved their thinking.
http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Burner-Compact-Liqu ... fuel+stove
I don't think there was ever any issue with burning it any of those stoves. The issue is it stinks.

NJJoe

Post by NJJoe » Thu. Mar. 12, 2015 9:44 am

Richard S. wrote:You can still get stoves that use gas, they are standard for mountaineering equipment. I'd imagine anything that uses white gas(Coleman fuel) would also burn unleaded.

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/stoves/simple-c ... g/category

Those are multi fuel; Coleman fuel, gas or kerosene. You really should use Coleman fuel. Regular gas has a bad odor and the kerosene is problematic, it also has a different jet for kerosene.
We use the same stove as well for camping. We like to go out in the winter and a multifuel stove stove is not only the most flexible but guaranteed to burn in the cold weather. Stoves that use propane/butane/isobutane etc... suffer from performance loss when the ambient temp is too cold and the cylinder the vapor pressure needed to flow

cokehead

Post by cokehead » Fri. Jan. 01, 2016 11:32 am

I read on another forum that naphtha was available "at the pump" in Amish country at a reasonable price. No one could come up with a location where it was for sale though. I'm not going that way any time soon but I am curious if it is so, and for those that are close specifically where naphtha is available at the pump. Coleman fuel in the can is better than unleaded gasoline but the price is sky high. If I were to be passing though, 10 gallons would last me almost forever. :roll:
Last edited by cokehead on Fri. Jan. 01, 2016 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Fri. Jan. 01, 2016 11:43 am

When I was a kid.... late 1960's...... we used "white gas" in Coleman stoves. I can't remember, it was either Mobil or Sunoco, the high test they sold at the pump was clear as water and burned with no smell. I'm not sure if it was the same as Coleman fuel, but it was widely used in place of Coleman fuel as it was much, much cheaper.

cokehead

Post by cokehead » Fri. Jan. 01, 2016 12:00 pm

Looks like I need an address AND a time machine! :lol:

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”