Cooking With Gasoline

cokehead

Post by cokehead » Wed. Jan. 06, 2016 8:22 pm

"Stopped at the Marathon station in Amish country (Middlefield, Ohio) yesterday and picked up 5 gallons of white gas on my way home from work." $4.449 per gallon.

Source: http://www.colemancollectorsforum.com/post/bulk-w ... 1290373874

Turbogeno
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pocono
Hand Fed Coal Stove: VC Vigilant II at home and a military surplus tent heater at camp
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite, Rice and Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water baseboard and DHW

Post by Turbogeno » Thu. Jan. 07, 2016 8:27 am

I was told by a petroleum engineer never to use standard gasoline indoors in a stove or lantern (I have both and an ancient Coleman catalytic heater) because the additives give off noxious fumes.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Jan. 08, 2016 12:53 pm

Turbogeno wrote:I was told by a petroleum engineer never to use standard gasoline indoors in a stove or lantern (I have both and an ancient Coleman catalytic heater) because the additives give off noxious fumes.
Yup, same for Kerosene.

Any stove or lamp using a petroleum product gives off carbon monoxide.

Not long after kero heaters became popular when oil prices climbed in the late 1970's, some areas banned their sale because so many people were getting sick, and/or, asphyxiated. Suffolk County, NY was one of the first.

Paul

Cristoph126

Post by Cristoph126 » Mon. Nov. 12, 2018 5:58 am

I'm using wood when it comes to outdoor cooking. Coal also makes sense but I'm more of old-fashioned. Also, using cones is a good trick, the keep the heat for a long time. I’m a little crazy about the sugar in my coffee, about the salt in my salad or soup and about the amount of oil in a pan when frying something. The refined oils are my type, yeah. They have my choice because you need less of them when cooking. As an example even though fish has a strong smell the whole house can smell it while cooking, using unrefined oils is total hell. I never buy oil from the groceries because they have a water consistency, I am trying to eat as less fat as possible but oil should be oil. There’s an Arab holding a kebab on a block and he’s got that sunflower oil made in ukraine. So he orders me an extra bottle also.

AllanD
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HAND FIRED HARMON
Coal Size/Type: STOVE
Other Heating: Oil fired hotwater baseboard

Post by AllanD » Mon. Feb. 11, 2019 8:43 pm

I got 6gal HERE:

BP
8095 Hwy 20, Shipshewana, IN 46565
(800) 333-3991
https://maps.app.goo.gl/aF1k1

But only because I was already there...

The pump is BEHIND the store and is an older 1960's vintage mechanical pump, you talk to the guy inside and then pump.

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Mon. Feb. 11, 2019 8:53 pm

Freddy wrote:
Fri. Jan. 01, 2016 11:43 am
When I was a kid.... late 1960's...... we used "white gas" in Coleman stoves. I can't remember, it was either Mobil or Sunoco, the high test they sold at the pump was clear as water and burned with no smell.
Yes, we used that in a Coleman camp stove and also a lantern. My dad said it was the only unleaded brand and therefore less likely to retard us kids, or kill us.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Feb. 12, 2019 10:20 am

Freddy wrote:
When I was a kid.... late 1960's...... we used "white gas" in Coleman stoves. I can't remember, it was either Mobil or Sunoco, the high test they sold at the pump was clear as water and burned with no smell. I'm not sure if it was the same as Coleman fuel, but it was widely used in place of Coleman fuel as it was much, much cheaper.
Back in the 60's, Texaco used to advertise their high test as unleaded (white gas) and the cleanest burning fuel available (high compression engines were more common then later "smog motors" in the 1970s). Back then engine valve trains and piston rings often had problems with carbon buildup. Doing a "valve and ring" job every 40K miles was common. But with a lot of city stop and go driving, the engines would carbon up much sooner and start to lose compression/power. Then, mechanics who weren't greedy for work would recommended filling the tank with Texaco high test and "go blow the carbon out" at 70 mph on a major highway. Saved me many valve jobs.

And it sometimes worked as an excuse to get a driver out of a speeding ticket. Lots of Cop's cars suffered from carbon build up, too. :D

Paul

buffalo bob
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 354 and a 254
Coal Size/Type: anthracite nut

Post by buffalo bob » Wed. Feb. 13, 2019 6:23 pm

Freddy wrote:
When I was a kid.... late 1960's...... we used "white gas" in Coleman stoves. I can't remember, it was either Mobil or Sunoco, the high test they sold at the pump was clear as water and burned with no smell. I'm not sure if it was the same as Coleman fuel, but it was widely used in place of Coleman fuel as it was much, much cheaper.
amoco hi test

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Feb. 13, 2019 6:38 pm

Indeed B :)

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Feb. 14, 2019 11:27 am

Thanks Buffalo Bob, for jarring the memory lose. I stand corrected. It was American (Amoco) high test white gas we used to clean out carbon buildup.

Paul

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Thu. Feb. 14, 2019 1:24 pm

rberq wrote:
Mon. Feb. 11, 2019 8:53 pm
Yes, we used that in a Coleman camp stove and also a lantern. My dad said it was the only unleaded brand and therefore less likely to retard us kids, or kill us.
Yep, me too! Boy, it is good to still, at least, be alive!!! :baby:

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: small New Yorker oil fired boiler; mostly used for domestic HW

Post by hank2 » Fri. Feb. 15, 2019 12:19 am

My Dad had a small Army stainless or nickel plated cylinder stove that we used on fishing trips. 1950's and 60's. He always used nothing but Amoco premium as that was supposedly the only unleaded fuel available. He also used it in small engines. I don't know if the unleaded was the best for flathead engines, but I doubt if he ever changed a sparkplug.

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”