Gas Parlor Stove Help

Userj8670

Post by Userj8670 » Thu. Jan. 08, 2015 11:53 am

Hey everyone- my name is Jim and I am new to this section of the forums. I currently have a No.120 Amherst Champion gas stove that I am using to heat the garage and I am a bit dissapointed with its performance. I was wondering what my options are to increase the heat output of this stove? I let it run "wide open" all day and the temp is still only 50 in there. Was hoping this stove would be able to be run wide open then dialed back but doesn't seem to have the hp. I have a magnetic therm 12 inches up the stack reading about 170. Please see pix.

P.s. I apologize for the sideways pictures I'm not really sure how to correct that

Attachments

20150105_010135.jpg
.JPG | 88.1KB | 20150105_010135.jpg
20150105_040121.jpg
.JPG | 92.9KB | 20150105_040121.jpg

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Thu. Jan. 08, 2015 5:06 pm

First of all, is your garage insulated? etc.... how big of a space are you trying to heat.?

Have you cleaned the burners, everything adjusted properly. it just may not have enough output for what you are trying to heat.

I wouldn't think those stove put out more than 40-60K BTU depending on the size of the burners, etc....

Userj8670

Post by Userj8670 » Fri. Jan. 09, 2015 1:20 am

WNY wrote:First of all, is your garage insulated? etc.... how big of a space are you trying to heat.?

Have you cleaned the burners, everything adjusted properly. it just may not have enough output for what you are trying to heat.

I wouldn't think those stove put out more than 40-60K BTU depending on the size of the burners, etc....
WNY- thanks for the reply. The space is 26x26 garage with concrete floor. The walls are insulated with R19 insulation and the ceiling has foam board insulation. The ceilings I believe are 8 ft and above those is an attic then the roof. To gain access I just slide a piece of the foam insulation over and grab a ladder. I'm not sure how to measure the burners but the valves were gone thru and cleaned up as we're the brass bushings (forgive my novice terminology). As of tonight the stack is 175 degrees(at 12 inches above the stove). I will have to move the thermometer to the top of the stove and see what she says. In addition when I left for work at 3pm I hung a box fan in the far corner of the garage and put it on low blowing towards the stove...the temp was 54. When I came home at 12 I was still 54..mind you she's running wide open. I am not sure if this helping or hindering. Sorry for the long reply - just trying to give you all the info to better help.

Stay warm!

Jim

P.s. I wanted to add no I didn't clean the burners- not sure how to do that but they seem to function as they should. The valves were leaking a tad but some pipe dope and a back nut on the rear fixed that. I adjusted the air mix to have no yellow tip flames and also cleaned them up with a wire brush

Attachments

20150105_010423.jpg
.JPG | 142.1KB | 20150105_010423.jpg

Userj8670

Post by Userj8670 » Mon. Jan. 12, 2015 2:29 pm

Anyone?

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Mon. Jan. 12, 2015 2:44 pm

Userj8670 wrote:Anyone?
I would look at the gas flame and the maximum height I could retain a blue flame. If I thought too small or low I would suspect too small a metering orifice is limiting the flame. Perhaps the gas it was designed for is not the same as you are using. It looks like it heats some ceramic which should glow red hot fully.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Jan. 12, 2015 7:00 pm

Take the burners & just tap them on a hard surface--worked for years UJ :)

Userj8670

Post by Userj8670 » Tue. Jan. 13, 2015 1:27 pm

franco b wrote:
Userj8670 wrote:Anyone?
I would look at the gas flame and the maximum height I could retain a blue flame. If I thought too small or low I would suspect too small a metering orifice is limiting the flame. Perhaps the gas it was designed for is not the same as you are using. It looks like it heats some ceramic which should glow red hot fully.
Thanks for the reply Franco- I initially adjusted the air/fuel mix (by the gas valve) with no air thus giving me a max height blue flame but was advised that I need at least some (air) for better combustion but I don't know of its true or false as I am not very knowledgeable. The metering hole off the jet as I understand it, one size for gas and it's one size for propane. If I could install bigger jets or valves and metering holes we would be in business but I don't know how to measure them? The lava rocks glow nice and cherry!

Attachments

20150111_233342.jpg
.JPG | 69KB | 20150111_233342.jpg
Last edited by Userj8670 on Tue. Jan. 13, 2015 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Userj8670

Post by Userj8670 » Tue. Jan. 13, 2015 1:33 pm

freetown fred wrote:Take the burners & just tap them on a hard surface--worked for years UJ :)
Fred I just poked thru all the holes with a drill bit and made sure they were clear. I was looking into one of those "magic hats" - one of those honey comb looking thingys that reclaim the heat from the flue pipe unless I can get her to throw more heat? Thoughts?

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Jan. 13, 2015 1:40 pm

Yep, that'll work. You still should tap the burners to get all the junk out you've pushed in with the drill bit:) I used a heater box on my wood stove & she worked well

franco b
Site Moderator

Post by franco b » Tue. Jan. 13, 2015 1:52 pm

Userj8670 wrote:Thanks for the reply Franco- I initially adjusted the air/fuel mix (by the gas valve) with no air thus giving me a max height blue flame but was advised that I need at least some (air) for better combustion but I don't know of its true or false as I am not very knowledgeable. The metering hole off the jet as I understand it, one size for gas and it's one size for propane. If I could install bigger jets or valves and metering holes we would be in business but I don't know how to measure them? The lava rocks glow nice and cherry!
Open the gas valve more. Yellow flame means not enough air is mixing with the gas before exiting the gas jets and air is mixing after ignition of the gas. Give it more air and then give more gas and adjust again until you get a higher flame that remains blue. Worry about stack temp. after you get the burners operating well.

Userj8670

Post by Userj8670 » Tue. Jan. 13, 2015 1:57 pm

franco b wrote:
Userj8670 wrote:Thanks for the reply Franco- I initially adjusted the air/fuel mix (by the gas valve) with no air thus giving me a max height blue flame but was advised that I need at least some (air) for better combustion but I don't know of its true or false as I am not very knowledgeable. The metering hole off the jet as I understand it, one size for gas and it's one size for propane. If I could install bigger jets or valves and metering holes we would be in business but I don't know how to measure them? The lava rocks glow nice and cherry!
Open the gas valve more. Yellow flame means not enough air is mixing with the gas before exiting the gas jets and air is mixing after ignition of the gas. Give it more air and then give more gas and adjust again until you get a higher flame that remains blue. Worry about stack temp. after you get the burners operating well.
Franco-
if u want to scroll up, my third post shows where I have it all adjusted - the valves I run wide open so giving it more gas is beyond me unless I can get bigger jets? I have adjusted the air to more open before and had yellow tips at the flames which I thought was no good. The little air it has currently seems to produce the best with what I have but I can tinker again

franco b
Site Moderator

Post by franco b » Tue. Jan. 13, 2015 2:12 pm

I thought you were adjusting with the valves. You could experiment with opening the metering jet with the next size wire gauge drill or a small taper reamer. Of course once open you can't go back. With a stack of 170 on the surface it might be correct already. You just have to judge if the flame height looks right. Normally restricting air should give yellow. I see two valves so assume two burners. Maybe open the orifice on one and see results. Strange that air is closed for blue flame. Seems like it could handle more gas.

Userj8670

Post by Userj8670 » Tue. Jan. 13, 2015 3:52 pm

freetown fred wrote:Yep, that'll work. You still should tap the burners to get all the junk out you've pushed in with the drill bit:) I used a heater box on my wood stove & she worked well
I guess I didn't think of that- will have to do that. Do you have any recommendations where to find one that won't break that bank? The stove is running 400 at the top and 200 out the flue npw and when I look at the chimney outside I can see the heatwave coming out of it so I know I'm losing alot out the stack

stovehospital

Post by stovehospital » Tue. Jan. 13, 2015 4:52 pm

I see the air shutters are closed. You need to open them to the point where the flames are blue and not yellow. If you are using propane you may need smaller orifices to get this. I bet about a 67 would be a good place to start.
The other problem I would look at is the flue. Too much flue and you are melting the arctic ice but getting no heat. The exhaust should be about 4". You probably need a diverter in the exhaust. That lets in room air if the draft exceeds what is good for the stove. Looks like a little hat that installs in the pipe. Those two things should help loads BUT it is a gas stove so you won't be getting much above 400 or so in a heater. The flue should be much cooler than you have.

Userj8670

Post by Userj8670 » Thu. Jan. 15, 2015 1:00 pm

stovehospital wrote:I see the air shutters are closed. You need to open them to the point where the flames are blue and not yellow. If you are using propane you may need smaller orifices to get this. I bet about a 67 would be a good place to start.
The other problem I would look at is the flue. Too much flue and you are melting the arctic ice but getting no heat. The exhaust should be about 4". You probably need a diverter in the exhaust. That lets in room air if the draft exceeds what is good for the stove. Looks like a little hat that installs in the pipe. Those two things should help loads BUT it is a gas stove so you won't be getting much above 400 or so in a heater. The flue should be much cooler than you have.
Thanks for the reply! I am using gas to heat the stove and have tinkered with the shutters and have them where I think they work. The lava rock gets cherry red and the flames are as good as they are gonna get it seems with out yellow tips yet only minimal air...strange. I posted a video at the end of the post to help better see what I am working with. The draft diverter is a great idea but since the stove pipe is 4 inch B-vent and the stove is open at the bottom (pulls air from underneath) wouldn't that essentially be the same thing? I know I have one on the hot water tank but that's single walled pipe unlike b-vent. Was thinking though that the jets/valves in this stove are two different sizes...how do I measure them and how do I know what's correct for the stove. Someone has definitely had this stove apart before myself. Lastly is there any place where I could find the missing trim pieces for this beast? I'm sure it would help radiate a bit more.

Jim

P.s. here's a video if anyone wants to see what I am working with
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lopky01pjqE&feature=youtu.be

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”