Ashland EZ 200C Any and All Advice Welcome

Stamp
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Ashland EZ-200C
Other Heating: Propane :(

Post by Stamp » Wed. Dec. 03, 2014 9:23 pm

Located in NW Ohio, my propane bills were not pretty last winter. This year a friend suggested a wood burner, he has 2 old barrel stoves he uses at home and his shop, plus a few acres of wood that I can have access to. My Mom decided I was taking too long picking out a stove and wanted to help out so she bought me an Ashland EZ 200C used from the Amish and brought it out to me. I've been using it about a week now. Not too bad of results, keeps the main house(furnace only set at 50) in the mid to high 60's. I have an addition built on to the house off the room the stove is in and so far it doesn't seem to stop that furnace from running. (set at 65)

Fast forward to yesterday: Had a full firebox of wood and it just didn't seem that it was getting very warm. Ash door shut and regulator set at 5. (I could touch the stove pipe) I opened up the ash pan door to get it going a little better, lots of crackling, a small amount of smoke coming from around the pipe seams, "new pipe" burning smell and some creosote started dripping from the pipe. I freaked out and shut the door, but was still worried so I put some gloves on and took 3 of the pieces of wood out and took them outside to the burn barrel. Headed to the computer to read and the main thing I took away was that I didn't have a magnetic thermometer on my pipe to see what I was burning at. I went to Menard's and got a Meeco's Red Devil. Came home put it on the pipe per directions and am reading in the low end of the "too cool" range. Decided I was just to freaked out by it all and could do without heat for the night so I let it go out.

Now to today: Came home at lunch time and the fire from yesterday was 100% out. Restarted with some dry kindling and 2 pieces of wood. In 2 1/2 hrs we only got it to get to the "optimum burn" once and only briefly. Left it as it was and went back to work. Came home and I had a nice bed of coals so I put kindling in and 2 pieces of wood. Left the ash door open while I fed the animals (maybe 15 mins). It was burning nicely and in the mid range of the "optimum burn", so I shut the ash door. Wasn't long at all and it dropped to the "too cool" range. I have tried numerous things tonight: adding more kindling. not securing the ash door latch, turning the regulator up to 6 and adding more wood, but haven't got back up to the "optimum burn" at all.

Sorry my post is so long, but wanted to provide as much info as possible, I'm getting very stressed trying to figure this out :( Thanks for any info you can provide me with.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Wed. Dec. 03, 2014 9:29 pm

Clean your chimney and pipe. burning wood do it every month. Looks very much like your draft is clogged

Stamp

Post by Stamp » Wed. Dec. 03, 2014 9:57 pm

I have to clean it that soon? I've only been running it for a week.

franco b
Site Moderator

Post by franco b » Wed. Dec. 03, 2014 10:44 pm

Stamp wrote:I have to clean it that soon? I've only been running it for a week.
Doing it will eliminate it as the problem. That you have creosote running indicates a lot of smoke and soot. In any case it looks like a draft problem.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Thu. Dec. 04, 2014 4:53 am

The regulator, does it have a chain?

May need adjusted to pick up more.

coalder
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: harman sf 160
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: wood parlor stove

Post by coalder » Thu. Dec. 04, 2014 5:51 am

First off, how high is chimney from thimble, and what size flue?
Second, if creosote is "dripping", sounds like your stovepipe was installed upside-down?
Third, again if creosote is dripping, I suspect that your wood is extremely green. Go out and see if you can find a couple of bundled of seasoned hardwood. Most convenient stores have some for campers. If this works, would answer a lot of questions.
Jim

Stamp

Post by Stamp » Thu. Dec. 04, 2014 1:55 pm

Yes the regulator has a chain, how would I figure out how much to adjust it?

Chimney is 9' from the thimble. 6" pipe. Pipe is installed the direction of the arrow on the label in the pipe. (Duravent is the name brand) I'll check tomorrow when I can go into town and see if I can find a bundle of the dry wood for sale someplace.

franco b
Site Moderator

Post by franco b » Thu. Dec. 04, 2014 2:08 pm

Stamp wrote:Yes the regulator has a chain, how would I figure out how much to adjust it?
In general, with a cold stove and the dial set at lowest position the flap should be just starting to open.

Good point about green wood. If green it will sit there and sizzle for a long time before it dries out and starts putting out heat. Very wasteful.

coalder
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: harman sf 160
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: wood parlor stove

Post by coalder » Thu. Dec. 04, 2014 2:23 pm

Ok, the chimney is 8 ft high; but what size flue tile? Or is it lined with a 6" ss liner? If the stovepipe goes into anything larger than an 8" flue, this is for sure a part of the problem. A chimney that short would not draft properly with a larger flue. Especially with green wood.
Jim

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Thu. Dec. 04, 2014 3:35 pm

Seen your other thread where you are looking for coal.
Unfortunately, if your wood burning troubles are anything but wet/green wood, then trying coal is Not a Fix.

Wood is a lot less fussy when it comes to burning equipment such as flue and stove pipe.

Stamp

Post by Stamp » Thu. Dec. 04, 2014 5:50 pm

Wrong terminology on my part, no chimney, just stove pipe. Back of the stove upwards: 7" to 6" reducer, elbow, 5' black single wall stove pipe, thimble, 9' of triple wall ss pipe, finished off with a cap.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Thu. Feb. 19, 2015 9:19 pm

They appear to be made by Schrocks Stoves, near Ashland Ohio. 1050 SR 545, Ashland Ohio.

Ashland EZ-50?

Jaysr22

Post by Jaysr22 » Thu. Jan. 19, 2017 10:58 pm

I was on a field trip for my daughters school to a Amish farm and I saw a ashland 200c circulator wood stove made by schrock stove shop in ashland ohio. I am wondering if anyone knows if they still make this stove or have a contact number. I am wondering what a price would be? I attached a picture I took of it. Thanks for the help

Attachments

received_1253025988067280.jpeg
.JPEG | 98.7KB | received_1253025988067280.jpeg

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Thu. Jan. 19, 2017 11:04 pm

Welcome to the forum, Jaysr22. They are Amish, I don't think they have phones. Their physical address is just above your post.
Last edited by SWPaDon on Thu. Jan. 19, 2017 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Thu. Jan. 19, 2017 11:12 pm

Jaysr22 wrote:I was on a field trip for my daughters school to a Amish farm and I saw a ashland 200c circulator wood stove made by schrock stove shop in ashland ohio. I am wondering if anyone knows if they still make this stove or have a contact number. I am wondering what a price would be? I attached a picture I took of it. Thanks for the help
Schrocks Stoves is still in business near Ashland Ohio. 1050 SR 545, Ashland Ohio. Not a huge operation at all.
Still no phone as far as I know. They close at 2pm on Saturdays. Not sure about weekdays.
Oops, see Larry already posted this above...

A search turned up this: Ashland EZ-50?

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”