Oil Boiler and Barometric Damper

Pocono Pete
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing 111
Coal Size/Type: Rice Anthracite

Post by Pocono Pete » Wed. Oct. 15, 2014 10:21 am

Hello, I have a question about a new oil boiler I had installed yesterday. I had a peerless BVN-03 boiler installed in a apartment I rent to a relative and after the installation was completed I noticed there was no barometric damper. When I asked the plumber about this he said because the boiler was smaller it did not need one and the draft was already preset. When I asked if he was going to come back after a while and clean or skin the boiler he said it would not be needed because he did not have to add a lot of new piping just one piece. This seems to go against everything I read about new boilers, is he correct or does it sound like he just does not want to come back and do more work now that the boiler is installed.

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Wed. Oct. 15, 2014 10:27 am

I think your instincts are correct - sounds odd to me. My parents just recently had a new boiler installed, and they put the baro in just like the old one. Hmmm ... :gee:

How can you adjust draft without a baro? :confused: Something doesn't smell right ....

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Oct. 15, 2014 10:53 am

Refer your installer to page 3 in the manual, it has all the draft specs and recommends the use of a draft control. That doesn't mean the control is required to obtain the correct draft, but it is still recommended.

Pocono Pete

Post by Pocono Pete » Wed. Oct. 15, 2014 2:27 pm

Hey Rob, I found the manual, page 3 does mention about baro being recommended I'l discuss it with him. Do you know how to check the draft on oil boiler with Dwyer magnehelic pressure gage. There is a cover plate with a screw right in the middle and it looks like if I remove the screw the probe from the gage it would fit in it, same as when I check the draft on my stoker. Like Smitty said if the draft was off how would you adjust it without the damper.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Wed. Oct. 15, 2014 3:27 pm

I know that Energy Kinetics (the company that makes the high efficiency 'System 2000' oil boiler series) has ran tests and found that barometric dampers decrease efficiency, so they do not install them either.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Oct. 15, 2014 3:58 pm

As long as the scale is somewhat close to the draft level you need to measure, a magnehelic will work fine.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Wed. Oct. 15, 2014 5:18 pm

Skimming is normally done on steam boilers, kind of rare with a hot water boiler I would think.

Pocono Pete

Post by Pocono Pete » Wed. Oct. 15, 2014 11:16 pm

Thank you for everyone's help in this matter. Spoke to the plumber today and he wants to wait until the weather turns colder and see how the boiler runs. I'm still thinking about adding the damper and being it's a steam boiler I'll have him skim it . Thanks again.

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”